Ignition issue? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rubi4MyMrs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-18-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
EarlJay
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ignition issue?

I'm wanting to make sure I'm not overlooking something. The other day, when trying to start, I got nothing at all when turning the key. I quickly realized something didn't feel right. Took the column apart and it was obvious that the actuator pin was broken. No big deal until I replaced it and I'm still getting nothing. Went ahead and changed the ignition switch itself too with no luck. Everything "feels" correct and normal while cycling the key. Is it still possible the I have something assembled incorrectly?

And to add to the weirdness, I noticed my fan not working when cycling through the four speeds. I just changed the resistor a few months ago. It seems like I have an electrical gremlin somewhere but it seems odd that it all happens at the exact time that actuator pin breaks?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-18-2019, 04:19 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Getting nothing, as in the cluster doesn't power on, fuel pump doesn't prime, headlights won't work etc? Have you checked your battery, cables, and fuses?

If the cluster powers on and the fuel pump primes but the starter doesn't work, what is your voltage gauge reading on the cluster? What does the reading show when you turn the key to start? Turning your headlights on and then trying to start the engine, do the headlights dim noticeably or do they stay bright?

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 8 Old 10-19-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
EarlJay
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Cluster powers on. Fuel pump primes. 12 volts on the gauge.

Basically nothing happens when moving the key from on to start. Lights stay same brightness when key is moved to start.

Edit to add.... also double checked and clean battery cables.

post #4 of 8 Old 10-20-2019, 08:06 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

naybe probe at the starter motor relay - see if START signal is reaching relay, would confirm ign switch install.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-20-2019, 08:33 AM
steeve555
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Try tapping starter with hammer.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-20-2019, 12:42 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
naybe probe at the starter motor relay - see if START signal is reaching relay, would confirm ign switch install.

Also pretty easy to remove the covers & 1 bolt holding the ignition switch to the actuator & pop the switch off. Recheck the actuator pin & see that the wiring connector is fully plugged into the switch then turn the switch with a screwdriver to see if that will engage the starter.

Hard to believe the tip was broken & something else was also causing it not to engage the starter. I suspect it was something to do with the installation of the actuator…
Richisinyoface likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-22-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
EarlJay
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Getting back at it.

Tried giving a few licks to the starter.

Also, tried to start by screwdriver in the ignition.

No luck with either.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-22-2019, 07:28 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

• Check for a blown fuse 6 (30a) in the PDC.
  • Try swapping the starter and horn relays in case you have a bad relay.
  • If you haven't already done so, install a 20a fuse in position 20 in the fuse block to bypass the clutch interlock to see if the starter will now work.
  • Remove the starter relay from its socket and use a test light to check that you're getting battery power to terminal 30, you have a good ground at terminal 85, and that the test light illuminates when you have it connected to terminals 85/86 and you turn the ignition to start.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in