Ignition failure requires new steering column? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 10-26-2009, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
jeep-rambler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ignition failure requires new steering column?

My 2006 Jeep Wrangler Sport just started failing to start. I can turn the key in the ignition all the way, with no resistance and no activation; absolutely nothing, the starter does not even attempt to engage. The dash lights come on, and because it offers no resistance to full engagement, I believe it to be mechanical in the key mechanism, not electrical.

At first I thought it might just be the ignition key cylinder, but was not sure. I had it towed to the local dealer, because I still don't know of a good Jeep mechanic in my area, San Jose, CA...

Got a call back from the dealer today, explained the problem and what I thought was the cause. They took a look and called me back. They say the entire steering column needs to be replaced. This will be a very costly repair...

Does this sound right to folks? Any ideas why a failure for the ignition key mechanism would require the full steering column to be replaced? Are there questions I should ask the service advisor, to ensure that I really am being steered (heh, pun intended) to required service, rather than being taken to the cleaners?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 10-26-2009, 09:11 PM
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

that's bs...

there is a pin that the connects the key cylinder to the switch that breaks.... pm rubirock, he has a source for such parts.

I want your factory 07-up take-off/thrown out JK front/rear Lower Control Arms! Bent ones are perfect also as long as the bushings and cold cut rings are in good shape/useable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
post #3 of 35 Old 10-27-2009, 02:48 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Also check out D A V E Y S J E E P S . C O M - Parts Specials

Look for this about 1/3 down.

post #4 of 35 Old 10-27-2009, 06:04 AM
mobyjeep

2006 LJ Wrangler 

The dealer doesent sell the "pin" seperately, it is part of the steering column. My local dealer quoted $350 for the part. I ordered just a used pin from Daveys Jeeps for $83 delivered. I'm using a screw driver to turn the ignition switch until I get the part.
post #5 of 35 Old 10-27-2009, 09:12 AM
RubiRock
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyjeep View Post
The dealer doesent sell the "pin" seperately, it is part of the steering column. My local dealer quoted $350 for the part. I ordered just a used pin from Daveys Jeeps for $83 delivered. I'm using a screw driver to turn the ignition switch until I get the part.
yup, davey's jeeps is where I got my ignition "tumbler". great deal, especially when the local guy wanted $350 for the same part.
i'm willing to bet that the OP's problem is the same as mine. I would definitely have them stop work on your rig and order the part from davey's, it is an easy fix and will save you a couple hundred dollars.

'

01.5 S4
post #6 of 35 Old 10-27-2009, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
jeep-rambler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone, I'm gonna ask the dealer whether it is just the ignition pin that has borked, and if so, I'll order the part.

Anyone know of a good Jeep shop in the San Jose, California area?

I'd work on it myself, but I've nowhere to work on it (live in a condo complex with a policy against that). I know, pretty stupid getting a Jeep with nowhere to work on it, but hey...
post #7 of 35 Old 10-27-2009, 12:38 PM
RubiRock
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure you could get away with fixing this @ your condo complex, that is unless they have a policy against you sitting in your jeep. all you need to do is removed the column cover and move the switch stalks, then you simply pop the part in and close it up. you could easily do it all from the drivers seat with the door closed, if you had to.

'

01.5 S4
post #8 of 35 Old 10-27-2011, 11:23 PM
rubee

i am having the same problem, just last week i noticed when i turned the key to start all lights came on but would have issues turning on then turn back and try again and it would start. then one day it didnt start at all. had to pop the clutch to go. didnt drive it for a day, came back that night it started right up but replaced the starter anyway. then seemed to be ok for a few days, then same issues again, a couple turns to start. then tonight no start at all......sounds like my steering column pin is broke also? i have a 06 rubicon.
post #9 of 35 Old 10-27-2011, 11:37 PM
psouza1943
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep-rambler View Post

Anyone know of a good Jeep shop in the San Jose, California area?
Try Greenwood Jeep Chrysler Dodge in Gilroy. They have treated me very well for the last three years with my two Jeeps and Dodge Diesel truck. No BS and seem willing to work with me on ANYTHING. I've been screwed by the best (worst) of 'em. These guys are refreshingly different....but YMMV. Be aware, however, that reduced inventory stocking may bite you in the butt when it comes to your situation, and no dealer will be of much help. Unless they are into salvage parts. You have already received good advice for DIY. If you meant a Jeep custom shop, check out Arabias in Campbel www.arabiasoverkill.com/
post #10 of 35 Old 10-28-2011, 12:12 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

If it is the ignition pin rockauto have them new cheaper than daveys used price. I believe you may find them cheaper still on amazon. If it is the pin you should be able to see it's broken by removing the ignition switch. There's a video linked from rockauto showing how to replace the pin as the steering lock pin needs to be removed.
post #11 of 35 Old 10-28-2011, 06:26 AM
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I took a couple of those ignition pins/actuators (1 for a spare) from Dodge Neons at the pic-a-part. Cost a whopping $3!
post #12 of 35 Old 10-28-2011, 03:45 PM
rubee

lol dodge neon might be a lil different then a jeep maybe
post #13 of 35 Old 10-28-2011, 03:52 PM
rubee

JONNY JEEP : hey is it the 2006 JEEP WRANGLER RUBICON 4.0L 242cid L6 FI (S) OHV : Ignition : Ignition Switch Actuator Pin WikiPriceDORMAN Part # 924704 Ignition Switch Actuator Pin

$25.89
post #14 of 35 Old 10-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubee View Post
lol dodge neon might be a lil different then a jeep maybe
No sir! Same part, read this thread I had the same problem on my Jeep.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...59/index2.html

post #15 of 35 Old 10-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's the one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in