If you buy a TJ, buy a welder. What rusted off your Jeep today? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 21 Old 04-29-2019, 09:19 AM
Andy-WhiteTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That's why I spray Fluid Film on the underside of both my son's and daughter's Jeep every fall before the winter season hits. I try to hit everything that will be exposed. It has helped quite a bit. I also drilled holes in the frame (against the FSM suggestion) to drain the frame from all the salt, sand, grime and what ever else get's in there. They both get flushed regularly at the car wash. Will it last forever? No but it will help it last longer than most.

Mine stays in the garage all winter.

Richisinyoface likes this.

1998 White TJ with a whole lotta stuff...

Just another member of:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(a 501(c)(7) Not-for-Profit Corporation)
Member:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Northeast Off-road Vehicle Alliance)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 Old 04-30-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Doughboy00008

I agree the northeast weather has a lot to do with it. But theres something to say when there are endless replacement parts for the frame, torque box, tub and axle brackets. Weather its from materials or coatings these jeeps are on another level from every other model. No other vehicle has this many replace parts
post #18 of 21 Old 04-30-2019, 04:10 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy00008 View Post
I agree the northeast weather has a lot to do with it. But theres something to say when there are endless replacement parts for the frame, torque box, tub and axle brackets. Weather its from materials or coatings these jeeps are on another level from every other model. No other vehicle has this many replace parts
Common sense says that's because Jeep owners tend to keep their vehicles for a long time and want to be able to keep them on the road no matter what. Few car owners keep their cars nearly as long as most Jeep enthusiasts keep their Jeeps. Not so with Ford, Chevy, Honda, etc. owners who just buy another car. Same with classic cars like a '57 Chevy. You can buy any parts you need for them but for a '57 Fiat? Good luck.
mukluk likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

post #19 of 21 Old 04-30-2019, 05:05 PM
sduncan

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Like Jerry, Iím in California. My 98 TJ has ZERO rust anywhere on it and my chassis looks better today than it did the day it rolled off the line even though I play at the beach a lot with it. I feel for those who live in the rust belt... Iíve seen some that look like they have been parked next to the Titanic for a while..

'98 TJ, 5.7 HEMI,
post #20 of 21 Old 04-30-2019, 05:15 PM
cruisingram
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I live in Hawaii, and there is no place in the US I have ever seen that even comes close to what our tropical rain forest with volcanic acid rain does to cars and trucks here- literally, I have stumbled acrossed the outline of a vehicle, only the big cast iron pieces left (block, trans, axles) left, even eats the seats and plastic, and I could nearly make out what the model was by the outline of the rust in the soil! Every day the jungle works to turn us into compost. My CJ and YJ have some rust, my TJ, none. Everything else I have had, no matter the brand, I have chased the rust the entire time I owned it. I am a welder FYI LOL
post #21 of 21 Old 04-30-2019, 08:07 PM
lindel

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Well, my TJ grew up in Chicagoland, and it shows. It'll need a full frame replacement, if I can make it live long enough that I can afford that. The next part that will need to be replaced would be the frame where the steering box and bumper mount. Very thin there...

Lindel
1999 Flame Red Sport, with some mods...
1999 Gunmetal Sport, waiting for some mods...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in