Idle issues - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 22 Old 05-29-2015, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
CatfishsLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino762 View Post
The clockspring is behind the steering wheel. Take off the plastic around the steering column and disconnect it. I think you can also just unplug the horn relay to test it too, but im not 100% sure on that. It sounds crazy, but that clockspring will short out and backfeed the tps causing the 123 code.
So I did some more reading, my clock spring is probably busted yes, my cruise has never worked or randomly kicks on ever since I've hard it, but now it's also kicking the code P1596 I also did a lot of reading on common electrical problems with Jeeps, on the image all but the dim lights are my symptoms so I'm going to do a hard clean on the connections to the battery and do some wire reading if I have to.

Attached Thumbnails
image_1432908580639.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 Old 05-29-2015, 11:48 PM
ElDuderino762

Before I went hunting bad connections, id take 10 minutes and unplug that clockspring, clear codes and see what, if anything comes back. Those two codes could be related to one another.
post #18 of 22 Old 05-31-2015, 08:54 AM
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Before I went hunting bad connections, id take 10 minutes and unplug that clockspring, clear codes and see what, if anything comes back. Those two codes could be related to one another.
Bad connections shouldn't take long to spot, so it's worth doing. The clockspring has to do with the airbag, I'd be interested to see on an EWD how it would back feed the TPS. Anything is possible. Where have you seen it do this before? Unplugging the horn relay shouldn't affect it at all. If you are going to unplug it, make sure you disconnect the battery and wait 90 seconds before proceeding. Just as a safety measure.

Some say a comet will fall from the sky.
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.
Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dip****s.

post #19 of 22 Old 05-31-2015, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
CatfishsLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Well I'll be damned spent another 8 hours trying to figure this mess out, so started off reading village again on new and old tps finally found the schematics for the tps stuff did resistance checks all good was think it was comp for a while be code would not clear no matter what I did, was about to order a new PCM when I remembered you're comment on the clock spring so I said what the heck can it hurt unplugged it and wallah like it was new again, codes cleared everything seems to be working fine so thanks guys!
post #20 of 22 Old 05-31-2015, 05:31 PM
ElDuderino762

Glad you got it! And to answer you chevy, the tps and clockspring share grounds.
post #21 of 22 Old 05-31-2015, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
CatfishsLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Glad you got it! And to answer you chevy, the tps and clockspring share grounds.
Do know how they share grounds or where they share it?
post #22 of 22 Old 06-01-2015, 12:33 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatfishsLJ View Post
Do know how they share grounds or where they share it?
Short answer -- every engine sensor, as well as the vehicle speed sensor, fuel pump module, transmission control module, and the cruise control switches via the clockspring are all grounded together through the PCM (pin 4 of connector C1) using a single wire with multiple splices. The PCM completes the ground circuit through one of three other pins to a common gang ground at G105.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

Tags
engine , idle , lj , rpm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in