JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Idle issues (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/idle-issues-3183401/)

CatfishsLJ 05-07-2015 02:04 PM

Idle issues

1 Attachment(s)
I have a 2004 unlimited, when driving while going a steady speed I sometimes get a push of power and accelerate even though I didn't hit the gas at all, also when I am driving and let off the gas to go brake or turn my RPMs drop to almost 0 (I have stalled twice my friend helping me diagnose the problem stalled it 3 times). It will drop fast to around 100 RPM and go back up to the normal idle RPM of 700/800 around there. I could use some help please.

CatfishsLJ 05-08-2015 02:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Guys please help me I am at a dead end

Knuckelhead 05-08-2015 02:40 AM

Do you have a CEL/MIL showing?...

CatfishsLJ 05-08-2015 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knuckelhead (Post 29934969)
Do you have a CEL/MIL showing?...

CEL says bad thortal position sensor high circuit I replaced the TPS gave it a test drive was still stalking on low rpms under 1500 but now I think it might be transmission related but I don't know much.

chevy2169 05-08-2015 04:43 PM

What is the code?

CatfishsLJ 05-09-2015 12:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy2169 (Post 29944825)
What is the code?

P0123 and a random Evap code that's been on it since I've gotten it

chevy2169 05-10-2015 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatfishsLJ

1. Check the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). Unplug the TPS connector and check the signal wire for 5 volts.

2. If OK, jumper the signal wire to the sensor ground and it should go to near 0 volts if the sensor ground is good.

3. Check the 5 volt reference wire.

4. If the wiring is OK, replace the TPS.

CatfishsLJ 05-14-2015 06:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy2169 (Post 29964817)
Quote:

1. Check the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). Unplug the TPS connector and check the signal wire for 5 volts.

2. If OK, jumper the signal wire to the sensor ground and it should go to near 0 volts if the sensor ground is good.

3. Check the 5 volt reference wire.

4. If the wiring is OK, replace the TPS.

The TPS signal wire is getting 5 volts but it's flashing (not steady current) (also reading wires awesome my sort of task) I don't see any damage on connectors no reason for a wire to break but it is definitely shorting. What now?

chevy2169 05-14-2015 10:41 AM

Quote:

The TPS signal wire is getting 5 volts but it's flashing (not steady current) (also reading wires awesome my sort of task) I don't see any damage on connectors no reason for a wire to break but it is definitely shorting. What now?

I believe the signal wire is supposed to pulse. The 5 volt reference wire should be a steady voltage.

You could check voltage drops to be sure. Just check voltage at different positions of the wire.

CatfishsLJ 05-14-2015 08:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy2169 (Post 30035985)
Quote:

I believe the signal wire is supposed to pulse. The 5 volt reference wire should be a steady voltage.

You could check voltage drops to be sure. Just check voltage at different positions of the wire.

Just an idea I took it in to a mechanic I know just to get a face to face opinion he read the codes did a diagnosis for me this is what he said, "found two codes p0123, p1596, voltage to TPS is flashing 5 volts, volts will not change even when unplugged. Believe it is a short or ECM problem. Also dirt/mud in ADAL connector (no idea what this is) possible water damage recommend dealer."
I did have this issue after pressure washing the engine block so that's the full story hit me with your inputs

chevy2169 05-15-2015 09:15 AM

Quote:

Just an idea I took it in to a mechanic I know just to get a face to face opinion he read the codes did a diagnosis for me this is what he said, "found two codes p0123, p1596, voltage to TPS is flashing 5 volts, volts will not change even when unplugged. Believe it is a short or ECM problem. Also dirt/mud in ADAL connector (no idea what this is) possible water damage recommend dealer." I did have this issue after pressure washing the engine block so that's the full story hit me with your inputs

Maybe the PCM/ECM ended up getting wet when you sprayed the engine. Sometimes time is worth more than money, so you may consider the dealer like your mechanic suggested. They'll find it.

CatfishsLJ 05-16-2015 03:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy2169 (Post 30051313)
Quote:

Just an idea I took it in to a mechanic I know just to get a face to face opinion he read the codes did a diagnosis for me this is what he said, "found two codes p0123, p1596, voltage to TPS is flashing 5 volts, volts will not change even when unplugged. Believe it is a short or ECM problem. Also dirt/mud in ADAL connector (no idea what this is) possible water damage recommend dealer." I did have this issue after pressure washing the engine block so that's the full story hit me with your inputs

Maybe the PCM/ECM ended up getting wet when you sprayed the engine. Sometimes time is worth more than money, so you may consider the dealer like your mechanic suggested. They'll find it.

Thanks man I am out of options so dealer it is I guess

ElDuderino762 05-16-2015 07:43 PM

Did you unnplug the clockspring and see if it quits?

CatfishsLJ 05-27-2015 05:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElDuderino762 (Post 30075105)
Did you unnplug the clockspring and see if it quits?

whats the clockspring and how could it stop it? if it does what do I need to change?

ElDuderino762 05-28-2015 08:15 PM

The clockspring is behind the steering wheel. Take off the plastic around the steering column and disconnect it. I think you can also just unplug the horn relay to test it too, but im not 100% sure on that. It sounds crazy, but that clockspring will short out and backfeed the tps causing the 123 code.

The time now is 02:47 AM.