I hear a "pop" in front end while turning - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 06-15-2010, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Hella
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I hear a "pop" in front end while turning

i just noticed this sound last night on the way home from work, and today i realized that it's most likely a problem. how big? not sure yet. that's what i need help with.

long story short - when taking a 90 degree corner from one street to another, i hear a "pop" or "bang" sound about halfway through the corner from my front end. i thought it was just my imagination, or maybe the tires struggling to grip the road (it's been raining here).

long story - when i got home, i parked the car and while it was still running i leaned out of the car while turning the wheel from left to right. when turning from full left to full right or vice versa, when the wheels get to the straight position i hear the same sound. again, i chalked it up to tire grip.

when i got my car the wheel was off centered, so a few weeks ago i adjusted the drag link to straighten the wheel so i know it tracks straight now. i noticed that after taking a left hand turn and hearing the pop, the wheel is slightly off centered to the left. when i take a right and hear the pop, the wheel is slightly off centered to the right. if it was off center all the time one way or another i would assume i need to readjust the wheel, but since it changes each time i turn i know something is loose up front.

Any Ideas???

04 TJ "Leyla" Rubi..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 06-15-2010, 08:02 PM
tarheelathlete1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

i used to have a similar problem... I would have to jerk the steering wheel the opposite direction to get it back to tracking straight... Well I don't have this problem anymore but I did switch from my redneck rigged quick disconnects back to stock. Other than that I didn't do anything and I highly doubt that was the problem anyways... I'm no help sorry

05 Navy LJ
post #3 of 29 Old 06-15-2010, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Hella
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I have been chasing my tail all day about this. Checked the trackbar, lower and upper control arms. I did find the pitman arm loose but I tightened that and it did tighten my steering but didnt fix the pop.

04 TJ "Leyla" Rubi..

post #4 of 29 Old 06-15-2010, 08:05 PM
YouStupidBunny

2007 XK Commander 

I had a similar issue. After spending hours trying to find it, it was a simple fix. All it was was a loose skid plate. Hope yours is just as simple. When I hear pops under the Jeep I start to think about how poor I'll be the rest of the month.
post #5 of 29 Old 06-15-2010, 08:36 PM
TMIB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I had this problem, and in my case it was the ball joint on the end of the trackbar.
post #6 of 29 Old 06-16-2010, 12:04 AM
ohtenwillys
2005 TJ Wrangler 

sounds like tie rod ends.. check the boots, castle nuts and pins, and see how snug they are
check your ball joints too
post #7 of 29 Old 06-16-2010, 05:29 AM
tuc
2003 TJ Wrangler 

mine was doing a simular think at a 90 degree turn it turned out that is was the sway bar had shifted ahnd the bolt holding the top joint of the link was hitting the frame

check your sway bars links making sure that your sway bar hasn't shifted to one side or the other, the only thing is that i doesn't make sence that its making the noise at a stand still unless your jeep leans alot at a stand still 90 degree turn
post #8 of 29 Old 06-16-2010, 05:48 AM
Erik T.

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've been having popping noises come from my front end during low speed(0-5mph) turns like parking and backing out of parking spots.

Taken it to be looked at, replaced U-joints, etc. Still no solution. It comes and goes on mine. Sometimes I won't hear it for months, than it returns for a couple weeks, than goes again.

Drives me monkey ****.

Edit - Tuc may be on to something. I remember last time I tried to figure out what was going on I noticed the swaybar was shifted off to one side. I'll double check that this morning, since it's doing it now.

Easy solution may to just get a set of those Swaybar clamps.

Erik.
post #9 of 29 Old 06-16-2010, 06:13 AM
unlblkrubi
2013 JK Wrangler 

And I thought I was the only one with this problem, like chasing a ghost.

Black 13 JKUR 10th Annivsary
White 13 JKUR

post #10 of 29 Old 06-16-2010, 06:44 AM
TheBoogieman
The Devil's Advocate

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you hear a snap and crackle too,it might be this.
post #11 of 29 Old 06-16-2010, 06:49 AM
4U2NV
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same sound while turning a corner. Ended up being a loose and crooked (not bent) swaybar. Straightened it out, tightened it up and the sound went away.

"A Boss says GO... A Leader says LET'S GO"
post #12 of 29 Old 06-16-2010, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Hella
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Okay well I just replaced my draglink/tierods with the currie steering system cause I bent the OEM Tierod. Did front ujoints about a month ago, did wheel bearings at same time, inner axle seals, front brakes, just about everything in front end except the ball joints. But would the balljoints allow the steering wheel to become off centered like the drag link is getting out of adjustment. Also called rough country and just put a new trackbar on cause I thought that was the problem. Still dunno what it is...

04 TJ "Leyla" Rubi..
post #13 of 29 Old 06-16-2010, 01:06 PM
bigred33
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My truck was doing this, pop/clunk on a slow driveway/parking turn. Had failing tie-rod ends and a loose hub assembly. Replaced all and she was fine. Whatever way your turning that makes the noise check the opposite side - pop turning left then check the right, flip flop.
post #14 of 29 Old 06-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Sundowner

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you just installed all that stuff, then check it over. You may have had something loosen up on you. I've had a drag link do this kind of thing before.

If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 29 Old 06-16-2010, 01:30 PM
rquinn02011983
1998 TJ Wrangler 

it probably is the ball joint end of the trac bar or trac bar is loose. I have to tighten mine every couple of months or when i go to turn it pops. Even it doesnt look loose check the torque.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in