I dont know how I didn't I see this until now.. inside tread wearing faster - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
DeepSouthTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I dont know how I didn't I see this until now.. inside tread wearing faster

Just noticed that the inside tread (side closer to the jeep) is about half that of the outside tread.. great. I bent my tie rod a while back, had the tie rod end replaced and the jeep realigned, but kept the old tie rod because its only a small bend (yes, I'm replacing it. I had already planned on it). So my toe in/out is probably just off right? Of would that be caster (I think that's what it's called)?

Thanks for the answers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 02:56 PM
jeepn012

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I would suspect some worn balljoints.(affects camber, heck caster too for that matter) How many miles on the Jeep?

When you had the alignment done, they should have given you a printout with the angles and showed you if they were in specs (or at least close).

1990 YJ - 96 to 03 My first. She will be missed.
2004 TJ - 03 to 11. Old Faithful. I will have another TJ one day.
2007 JKU - SOLD
2005 LJ - In the mail, hope I like it. Everybody's doin it, here is the build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
DeepSouthTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Also, if something was damaged by all that, what would it be? I can imagine the trac bar bolt holes being a little worn, or excess wear on my power steering box, but what else?
Attached Thumbnails
image-3921534202.jpg  

post #4 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
DeepSouthTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepn012
I would suspect some worn balljoints.(affects camber) How many miles on the Jeep?

When you had the alignment done, they should have given you a printout with the angles and showed you if they were in specs (or at least close).
About 6,000 since the bent tie rod, 18,000 as of now. I don't remember them getting a print out, but I'll check. Would ball joints be an easy, pop it in and go kind of replacement, or something a little more serious than that. I don't want any lasting damage because of this.
post #5 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 03:04 PM
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSouthTJ View Post
About 6,000 since the bent tie rod, 18,000 as of now. I don't remember them getting a print out, but I'll check. Would ball joints be an easy, pop it in and go kind of replacement, or something a little more serious than that. I don't want any lasting damage because of this.
Ball joints aren't bad at all. Get a loaner ball joint press from one of the auto stores and it's a weekend job.

To test the ball joints jack up one tire, get something like a crowbar/pipe/whatever can get you leverage under the tire. Push the tire up or have someone else do it and watch the ball joints. Any play is bad.
post #6 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
DeepSouthTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93

Ball joints aren't bad at all. Get a loaner ball joint press from one of the auto stores and it's a weekend job.
So two new tires, new ball joints, a new tie rod, and get her aligned and that *should* be it? Just don't want some serious, or permanent damage.
post #7 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 03:13 PM
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So two new tires, new ball joints, a new tie rod, and get her aligned and that *should* be it? Just don't want some serious, or permanent damage.
Don't worry about damage, nothing catastrophic is going to happen. The worst has already happened, which is poor tire wear and the need for new tires. And I hate to say it but you should really replace all 4 tires at once.

Something's definitely out of alignment. Do what I mentioned above to test the ball joints, or depending on how many miles you have on the jeep it might be good preventative maintenance to replace them regardless. Definitely replace the tie rod since it has been previously bent, consider upgrading it too.

It's probably pretty cheap as well to put the Jeep on an alignment to get a good baseline of what's going on exactly.
post #8 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 03:13 PM
jeepn012

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think you're a ways from serious damage... of course, a complete failing of a ball joint is catastrophic.

New tires would be the last step after you diagnose and repair the issue. Definitely get a new tie rod, good time to do a ZJ upgrade!

1990 YJ - 96 to 03 My first. She will be missed.
2004 TJ - 03 to 11. Old Faithful. I will have another TJ one day.
2007 JKU - SOLD
2005 LJ - In the mail, hope I like it. Everybody's doin it, here is the build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
DeepSouthTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93

Don't worry about damage, nothing catastrophic is going to happen. The worst has already happened, which is poor tire wear and the need for new tires. And I hate to say it but you should really replace all 4 tires at once.

Something's definitely out of alignment. Do what I mentioned above to test the ball joints, or depending on how many miles you have on the jeep it might be good preventative maintenance to replace them regardless. Definitely replace the tie rod since it has been previously bent, consider upgrading it too.

It's probably pretty cheap as well to put the Jeep on an alignment to get a good baseline of what's going on exactly.
Awesome, I was imagining a worst case scenario where something like the control arm mounts, or trac bar brackets, etc. were screwed and it'd never ride right until I found the whatever it was lol.

Already planned on getting a new tie rod, I was going to put a zj tie rod and a BB on this weekend, but I guess I'll wait until this new issue gets sorted out.

And great, I'm a broke high schooler, 4 new tires would clean me out (well, it would right now, especially broke atm). My dad already tried to tell me the tires were fine. That's exactly what he said about the tie rod
post #10 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
DeepSouthTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Side note: when I turn the wheel, the caster (or is it camber?) changes a tiny bit. Ex: I turn the wheel left, and the tops of tires will lean a little left, and vice versa. That's normal right?
Attached Thumbnails
image-3556340256.jpg   image-3719884592.jpg   image-2182832970.jpg  
post #11 of 24 Old 03-13-2013, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
DeepSouthTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Taking it to the shop after school to get the alignment checked and to see if anything else, like the ball joints, has gone bad.
post #12 of 24 Old 03-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

When they align it, tell them you want the tires straight forward or they will put the toe in just a bit because that is what the factory says to do. The steering might not feel as tight, but it will help you with your tire wear. I had my jeep aligned a few times and ended up with an exaggerated version of your problem due to wider tires. I finally jacked up the jeep and set the toe adjustment dead straight. I haven't had problems since.

Safety 3rd!
post #13 of 24 Old 03-13-2013, 02:02 PM
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblack View Post
When they align it, tell them you want the tires straight forward or they will put the toe in just a bit because that is what the factory says to do. The steering might not feel as tight, but it will help you with your tire wear. I had my jeep aligned a few times and ended up with an exaggerated version of your problem due to wider tires. I finally jacked up the jeep and set the toe adjustment dead straight. I haven't had problems since.
This leads to others issues sometimes like death wobble and is a half assed fix. I have wider tires as do most on this forum and you are first I heard say this.

OP I am curious how you messed everything up in the first place? Was it jumping? Hit tree/rock/hole?

post #14 of 24 Old 03-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
This leads to others issues sometimes like death wobble and is a half assed fix. I have wider tires as do most on this forum and you are first I heard say this.

OP I am curious how you messed everything up in the first place? Was it jumping? Hit tree/rock/hole?
I can only assume you are just on here to troll. Could you mind telling me how you managed to get your tires to stop wearing funny when they are out of alignment? I have zero issues with death wobble or any "other issues" whatever those are.

Safety 3rd!
post #15 of 24 Old 03-13-2013, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
DeepSouthTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr

Haha, about that.. The first day I got her, my foot slipped of the clutch and I somehow knocked my basketball goal clean down. If was my first time driving stick so yea.. It dented in the corner of my fender flare, and the tie rod, and that was it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in