I didn't realize it was so easy to falsify odometer readings. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-25-2013, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Vinman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I didn't realize it was so easy to falsify odometer readings.

I picked up a wrecked Rubicon and swapped the mint black interior into my LJ,
In the process I picked all the nicest dash components as I reassembled my dash, I got quite a surprise when I used the gauge cluster from the donor Jeep and the mileage and VIN from the donor Jeep now registered on mine.

I thought those pieces of info would have been stored in the PCM and not just the cluster.

I then reinstalled my original higher mileage cluster.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-25-2013, 12:25 PM
TJJP77

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I think it is stored in both places. Had you driven the Jeep around for a bit, I believe the cluster would have automatically updated to the higher mileage stored in your PCM.

Chris
'02 Sahara
'06 Rubicon Unlimited
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
post #3 of 9 Old 05-25-2013, 12:35 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post
I think it is stored in both places. Had you driven the Jeep around for a bit, I believe the cluster would have automatically updated to the higher mileage stored in your PCM.
Nope. It is very common in XJ world for the dash connections to have issues (and it happens occassionally in TJ world). XJ guys often swap their dashes and have the "wrong" mileage. Only way to get correct mileage to show up on dash is to buy new dash unit from dealership where they want something like $1k for it. PO of my XJ actually paid that at the dealership. Lots of threads about this over in the XJ forum.

post #4 of 9 Old 05-25-2013, 01:46 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Nope. It is very common in XJ world for the dash connections to have issues (and it happens occassionally in TJ world). XJ guys often swap their dashes and have the "wrong" mileage. Only way to get correct mileage to show up on dash is to buy new dash unit from dealership where they want something like $1k for it. PO of my XJ actually paid that at the dealership. Lots of threads about this over in the XJ forum.
It is also stored in the PCM. Been through that several times redoing and swapping around PCM's for SKIM and Auto swaps.

The dealer needs some method to program either with the correct mileage if one of the two is replaced.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-25-2013, 03:17 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine

It is also stored in the PCM. Been through that several times redoing and swapping around PCM's for SKIM and Auto swaps.

The dealer needs some method to program either with the correct mileage if one of the two is replaced.
It may be there but it won't automatically update the console as suggested
post #6 of 9 Old 05-25-2013, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Vinman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

It also intrigued me with VIN of the donor vehicle being displayed. It could be used as another tool to assist in verifying the cluster has not been changed by the seller to falsify the mileage readings.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-25-2013, 06:53 PM
DoctorTim

2002 WJ 

for XJs without a digital odometer, you can easily adjust the mileage by popping it open, taking out the odometer number-wheel thingy, pulling back the little washers, and adjusting the numbers. I did it when i had to get a cluster from a wrecked XJ.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-25-2013, 08:23 PM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post

could have sworn they can do it with the drbiii for either the dash or pcm and it's a half hour labor charge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorTim View Post
for XJs without a digital odometer, you can easily adjust the mileage by popping it open, taking out the odometer number-wheel thingy, pulling back the little washers, and adjusting the numbers. I did it when i had to get a cluster from a wrecked XJ.
the early mechanical odometers are easy to turn, the later ones are generally very tamper proof.

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 9 Old 05-25-2013, 10:21 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
could have sworn they can do it with the drbiii for either the dash or pcm and it's a half hour labor charge.
I believe you are correct.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in