Hydroplane curb smack, axle alignment - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-14-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Capdaghost

Hydroplane curb smack, axle alignment

Recently hit a curb at speed with the right front tire first then back right. Front lower control arm is bent along with the bracket. Haven’t replaced those yet but plan to this weekend. Gonna cut out the bracket and weld on another oem bracket and replace the arm.

The wheels have shifted to the drivers side by 2 inches. I’ll attach pictures below, but my question is if I replace the lower control arm and bracket along with install an adjustable track bar will the wheels shift back over to the passenger side or will I have to fix something else?

Would appreciate any advice

Attached Thumbnails
BE4A58B8-4906-488A-9A03-AC36FFABC0DD_1573750673440.jpg   49B368CE-46BF-4811-809B-0632C36CB4E9_1573750693278.jpg   6F90DA88-99C2-42B8-9B13-802C9DD7B465_1573750707227.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-15-2019, 06:03 PM
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would suspect it will be fine assuming the bracket is replaced exactly where the original was. I found getting the front centered was pretty easy, disconnect the track bar and bounce a couple times. It should center. In theory you shouldn't need an adjustable track bar although nothing wrong with getting one.

Machete don't tweet
- Machete
post #3 of 9 Old 11-15-2019, 08:55 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Nobody can answer that without having hands and eyes on your Jeep in person. I see in the pic where your control arm bracket is bent. That is contributing to the cause. You already know that. Maybe your track bar itself or brackets to are bent though. It is hard to say what shifted though. I am a mechanic for a living and some suspension bends are obvious in the beginning but hard to find the last piece of the puzzle sometimes when it comes to alignments and stuff. JS. I have a lot of experience in this. Patience and measuring and good observation are needed.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-16-2019, 04:39 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I can't believe it didn't bend your tie rod. I got hit directly into my tire while turning onto my street, by a car going 50 mph. I replaced the control arms, track bar (because it bent), sway bar links and all was good. It also broke my aluminum wheel and popped my new 35" tire. I was lucky my tires stuck out so far or I would have had major body damage. I didn't even get a scratch on my paint.
Attached Thumbnails
BRAND NEW PIC (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #5 of 9 Old 11-16-2019, 12:40 PM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capdaghost View Post
The wheels have shifted to the drivers side by 2 inches. I’ll attach pictures below, but my question is if I replace the lower control arm and bracket along with install an adjustable track bar will the wheels shift back over to the passenger side or will I have to fix something else?
if everything that has been damaged is repaired and the axle isnt bent, yes, it should be back to the way it was

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-17-2019, 09:40 AM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I can't believe it didn't bend your tie rod. I got hit directly into my tire while turning onto my street, by a car going 50 mph. I replaced the control arms, track bar (because it bent), sway bar links and all was good. It also broke my aluminum wheel and popped my new 35" tire. I was lucky my tires stuck out so far or I would have had major body damage. I didn't even get a scratch on my paint.
one of your nicest rigs yet!

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
post #7 of 9 Old 11-17-2019, 02:51 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_jeep View Post
one of your nicest rigs yet!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #8 of 9 Old 11-18-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Capdaghost

Thanks for the help guys! I got caught up this weekend, so I’m planning to do it this week. I’ll update you with pics after I get the bracket and arm installed. I’ll do that before I order the track bar in case everything shifts back after. Keeping my fingers crossed 🤞🏼
post #9 of 9 Old 11-18-2019, 06:51 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Hope it works out well. Keep us updated.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in