Humm wanting to line my jeep tub with something - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 03-23-2008, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Heavysausage
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Humm wanting to line my jeep tub with something

Hi i just picked up a 97 tj and the floor is soaked but i cant find the leak. Almost looks like it comes from under the dash. Anyway I pulled back the carp and its not been lined with anything. What would you guys/gals line it with. What do you think works the best for the buck. Also does everyone leave the plugs for drainage out like me?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-23-2008, 02:51 PM
COMTB
1989 XJ Cherokee 

i leave the plugs in esp when wheeling or driving in the rain because i feel like more water would come up through them with them out.

Just use a pickup bed coating like rhino lining or something of the sort to coat the floor. I forgot what everyone here uses but i'm sure someone will chime in soon.
EDIT: I believe it's Herculine

btw fill in your info about your jeep so for future questions etc it is easier for everyone to answer!

1989 XJ Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by COMTB; 03-23-2008 at 03:01 PM.
post #3 of 24 Old 03-23-2008, 03:48 PM
BozoWise

2001 TJ Wrangler 

search the board for Herculiner. You'll have more info then you wanted. You can also check my build post.

My 1 ton TJ build project "Evil Monkey":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 Old 03-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I run with the plugs out all the time, but my tub is already lined and I have no carpet . As for what to line it with, I don't know your experience with painting or how mechanically inclined you are, but I dropped about $600 to have it Rhino-Lined by a professional, and in my opinion, I think the "professional" should stick to nice, easy truck beds. While I am happy with it, it was done a little sloppy in some areas considering the money I spent, especially when you consider it cost me that much and I tore out all the seats and belts and everything myself. If I were to do it over again, I would go the DIY route and use Herculiner, its much cheaper and with some time investment I think I could have made it look better. If you do decide to go this route, I'm sure you'll find this out in write-ups on Herculiner, but the key to making it look great and hold up forever is prep. Do not skip on prepping your tub and masking things off, I can't stress that enough. Good Luck with whatever route you choose and congrats on owning a Jeep!
post #5 of 24 Old 03-23-2008, 04:14 PM
korisu56
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Make sure you mix it well. I mean WELL. My buddy and I used two different ways to mix it. He used an electric beater that he picked up for like 10 bucks at a dollar store, and I just used a paint stick. Due to my awesome ability to half ace everything, mine turned out like crap cause I used all of the polyurethane on the first coat. Anywho, gotta redo mine now. Do it RIGHT. It sucks enough the first time....

For those who have and are serving our nation.
post #6 of 24 Old 03-23-2008, 05:24 PM
shimmy

I went with the professional Rhinoliner

I had mine professionally done, cost me $400. I had to pull seats, center console, etc... That took some time and was sort of a pain, but they were going to charge $700 if they pulled everything and put it back in. I could have done it myself with the Herculiner for a lot less, but I am glad I didn't. The Rhinoliner looks awsome and has a lifetime warranty. I put herculiner on my bumpers and that stuff looks ok, but has a sandpaper texture to it. I would not want it all over my interior. Could hurt if you rub up against it.
Just my opinion though

post #7 of 24 Old 03-23-2008, 05:39 PM
stoker

DURABAK. It's available in many colors, textured and smooth.
post #8 of 24 Old 03-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Jetscuh
O rly?
1968 FSJ Wagoneer 

I recommend Line-X if you're going to get a bed liner put in by someone. I would love to Line-X my Jeep. There's reasons why it's better than rhino-liner and what not...I had a link to it but I can't find it...
post #9 of 24 Old 03-23-2008, 07:53 PM
abnormal
Platinum Member

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I used herculiner and I love it. Cost me about $100 including supplies.

post #10 of 24 Old 03-24-2008, 06:12 AM
winston2

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with Jetscuh. I have Linex in mine and love it! The linex is a high pressure/temperature application that dries faster then the competition (rhino) so it doesn't have runs in it. I've had my tub done, then we did my front/rear bumpers, finders so they don't get that chalky look as they fade and we did the rocker panels. Just recently purchased a hardtop and we sprayed it on the exterior of it! I will admit, my good friend does this for a living so he gave me a good break on the cost especially since he uses the jeep to put on display at the local truck shows occasionally. He starts around $500. Its worth looking into though. A little more expensive, but looks really nice!
post #11 of 24 Old 03-24-2008, 06:15 AM
ThUmPeRcOn

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston2 View Post
I agree with Jetscuh. I have Linex in mine and love it! The linex is a high pressure/temperature application that dries faster then the competition (rhino) so it doesn't have runs in it. I've had my tub done, then we did my front/rear bumpers, finders so they don't get that chalky look as they fade and we did the rocker panels. Just recently purchased a hardtop and we sprayed it on the exterior of it! I will admit, my good friend does this for a living so he gave me a good break on the cost especially since he uses the jeep to put on display at the local truck shows occasionally. He starts around $500. Its worth looking into though. A little more expensive, but looks really nice!
Any pics? 10 char

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.
post #12 of 24 Old 03-24-2008, 06:29 AM
JasonJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston2 View Post
... I've had my tub done, then we did my front/rear bumpers, finders so they don't get that chalky look as they fade and we did the rocker panels. Just recently purchased a hardtop and we sprayed it on the exterior of it! ...
Did you have to add a BB to regain the height lost from all that weight??
post #13 of 24 Old 03-24-2008, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Heavysausage
1997 TJ Wrangler 

good good

This is great guys im getting some good ideas here. Thanks! I have a friend who uesd that duraline stuff and it never seamed to want to dry up. And perhaps I should of also asked how much everyone used. So I have an idea of how much to buy and what tools was needed and so on. Thanks again and keep them coming pics are always welcome.
post #14 of 24 Old 03-24-2008, 07:40 AM
winston2

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm sure it did add a lot of weight.....which is probably why my MPG stinks! I'll work on getting some pics.
post #15 of 24 Old 03-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The only thing i didnt like about the line-x besides the price was the texture, much harder and rougher, and i just felt like i would tear up my hands everytime i reached under the seat, maybe thats just me though idk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in