HP30 To Sleeve or Not To Sleeve? - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 05-28-2016, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

HP30 To Sleeve or Not To Sleeve?

Hi all,

I've been running an LP30 for almost 10 years, and felt after research on the interweb that an HP30 is a worthy upgrade and good alternative to the Rubi LP44 or other LP44's available such as from G2 or EGCS.

I will be installing Currie Johnny Joints to replace the rubber bushings on the axle end, installing Artec LCA mounts, Artec Inner C gussets, and Riddler Diff cover.

I'm on the fence as to whether to sleeve it before it goes under the Jeep. I understand that trusses may be stronger, but aesthetics are important to me and I do not care for the look of trusses personally. This is where sleeves come in... I haven't bent my current Dana 30, so in reality, I do not see a need to install sleeves, but if I were to, now would be the time to do it.

I'm looking for 3rd party suggestions. Please, if you have real world experience, share the wealth.

2000 Silverstone Metallic TJ
U4WDA
Utah JeepCrew
RR4W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-29-2016, 12:00 AM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Run it with upgraded axle shafts and good U joints. I you F' it up, go get another HPd30 and do it again... IMO
post #3 of 26 Old 05-29-2016, 12:32 AM
willis36
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you have not bent your current housing in ten years, what makes you think you will bend the new one? Your more likely going to eff the new housing up welding a bunch of stuff to it then bending it on the trail

post #4 of 26 Old 05-29-2016, 01:35 AM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

To sleeve it is a waste of money

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #5 of 26 Old 05-29-2016, 09:05 AM
Ben

1998 TJ Wrangler 

"To not to"
-Tow Mater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 Old 05-29-2016, 10:18 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Completely agree on the sleeve. I'd also say the C gussets you mention are not necessary. And the Riddler diff cover you mention will probably be a major tie rod interference issue.
post #7 of 26 Old 05-29-2016, 11:08 AM
26679cj5

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I sleeved mine. It's a waste. Put that money towards a truss if you want to strengthen it. As far as a diff cover, any of the versions that just bolt over the lower half of the stock cover are adequate and won't hurt your tie rod clearance.
post #8 of 26 Old 05-29-2016, 11:47 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26679cj5 View Post
As far as a diff cover, any of the versions that just bolt over the lower half of the stock cover are adequate and won't hurt your tie rod clearance.
Or Barnett's, formerly known as T&J. I had one in the rear of my previous TJ and just installed one onto the front of my current TJ. I don't believe there's a better cover for the front axle, versions are available for both the D30 and D44.

http://barnettperformance.net/index....roducts_id=955

ravenworks likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #9 of 26 Old 05-29-2016, 12:18 PM
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Love my Barnett Diff cover. I have a tendency to smack into rocks. It has held up admirably

Machete don't tweet
- Machete
post #10 of 26 Old 05-29-2016, 12:40 PM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffjeeper View Post
Riddler Diff cover.
get ready for major clearance problems.

i welded an external sleeve to my HPD30...but I made it and it only cost about $40 all in. So, it was worth it to me.

I certainly wouldn't spend any money on an internal sleeve....total waste of time & money IMHO. want to know why? compare cross section moment of inertia.
post #11 of 26 Old 05-29-2016, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
get ready for major clearance problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
The Riddler diff cover you mention will probably be a major tie rod interference issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26679cj5 View Post
As far as a diff cover, any of the versions that just bolt over the lower half of the stock cover are adequate and won't hurt your tie rod clearance.
Wow. Should have researched this before moving forward. When I purchased it I automatically assumed that since one was available that I wouldn't have to deal with clearance issues. That's what I get for assuming.

Since the cover is not returnable (I've painted it, and am beyond the time window for returns), what options do I have to make it fit? Offset TRE's?

U4WDA
Utah JeepCrew
RR4W
post #12 of 26 Old 05-29-2016, 03:11 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Since the cover is not returnable (I've painted it, and am beyond the time window for returns), what options do I have to make it fit? Offset TRE's?
Personally I'd sell the cover and install one that won't cause problems. Or just install a diff guard like Warn sells that covers/protects the bottom half of the diff cover. That's what I'm running on my current TJ's rear axle and it does fine.

Like this, or go with Barnett's like mentioned above which would be (and was) my #1 choice for the front axle.

post #13 of 26 Old 05-29-2016, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Personally I'd sell the cover and install one that won't cause problems. Or just install a diff guard like Warn sells that covers/protects the bottom half of the diff cover. That's what I'm running on my current TJ's rear axle and it does fine. Like this, or go with Barnett's like mentioned above which would be (and was) my #1 choice for the front axle.
Good to know. I've got a matching one for my 8.8. Is there a reason not to install that one as well?

U4WDA
Utah JeepCrew
RR4W
post #14 of 26 Old 05-29-2016, 03:24 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I've got a matching one for my 8.8. Is there a reason not to install that one as well?
Not at all, no problems in the rear.

post #15 of 26 Old 05-29-2016, 03:28 PM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I used to have Riddler covers...I ripped them off as soon as I discovered the massive clearance issues, both front and rear. Replaced them with Solid, only to find new clearance issues...I ended up heavily modifying the front:

so if you want to make the Riddler's work, you can cut out the offending area, fabricate a few pieces to cover the big hole, weld it back together in such a way that it clears at full bump...

I now recommend Barnett or junkyard covers - a 1970s Ford HP D44 front cover and an early HPD30 cover out of an XJ are both 3/16" thick and about $10 each from your local junkyard.

Useful Write-Ups:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in