How to spend $5k? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 07-21-2013, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
AtomicDog
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How to spend $5k?

That's my initial budget. I already have 31-10.50 KM2 tires, Warn M8000 and rear bumper. I also have a RC 2.5" lift that I'm willing to ditch. I know I want sliders, Currie Anti-rock, Ford 8.8 rear and better shocks. Beyond that the options are overwhelming. Suggestions?

Warranty and customer service won't matter if your equipment fails during a zombie attack.
Torture numbers long enough and they'll tell you what you want to hear.
cq cq KI4DOG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 07-21-2013, 08:57 PM
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicDog View Post
That's my initial budget. I already have 31-10.50 KM2 tires, Warn M8000 and rear bumper. I also have a RC 2.5" lift that I'm willing to ditch. I know I want sliders, Currie Anti-rock, Ford 8.8 rear and better shocks. Beyond that the options are overwhelming. Suggestions?
Metalcloak.com
savvyoffroad.com

have fun
post #3 of 35 Old 07-21-2013, 08:58 PM
AJeep

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Imo. Gears, lockers, and inner axles. If you have the D35, upgrade to a D44 or 8.8. Gear for the future tire size you ultimatley want. Its easy to get sliders, another skids. Thats just me. Even upgrading the lift later on can be down in peices.

"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it" (Thomas Jefferson)

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY

post #4 of 35 Old 07-21-2013, 09:15 PM
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJeep View Post
Imo. Gears, lockers, and inner axles. If you have the D35, upgrade to a D44 or 8.8. Gear for the future tire size you ultimatley want. Its easy to get sliders, another skids. Thats just me. Even upgrading the lift later on can be down in peices.
Yeah I love making short comments but I should have elaborated.. I would start with getting rid of the 35 in the rear but you've already got that on your list. Not sure about your total cost of that but here is what I would do with 5 k burning a hole in my pocket (ive got a rubi so dana 44s f/r)

Finish my metalcloak lift 1k
4.88 gears f/r 1200
35" goodyear mtr/k 1500
Chromoly shafts f/r 1000
Metalcloak fenders f/r 1200

Sell my current lift/tires to make up for the other 900 bucks and I'd be good to go.

That is my list but I started a with other goodies...

Ome lift
Savvy under armor
Tom woods ds
Metalcloak control arms
Currie antirock
Front/rear bumpers w/ tire carrier
Lights
Cb radio
Sliders/rocker protection

If I were you I'd start with armor and parts that will help your rig survive longer and be more durable on the trail... so protect ing your axles,steering components, engine/tranny/transfer case, body protection and then I'd worry about your lift and larger tires once your rig can handle them.
post #5 of 35 Old 07-21-2013, 09:25 PM
samuraisavr

2003 TJ Wrangler 

What are your goals for the rig? what type of wheeling do you do? (rocks, mud, logging trails, sand) Once that is established, then you can get a game plan together. 5K is a good chunk of change. If spent wisely, you could have a hell of a rig.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
post #6 of 35 Old 07-21-2013, 09:31 PM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
first you need to ditch the dana 35 if you have one.
u need to have a sye and cv drive shaft if you dont already.
after those, start here.

1) gear and lock for the future tire size u want (as low as u can go for the auto trans u got).
2) highline fenders (tnt, sinister, metal cloak).
3) quality control arms (currie, savvy, rokmen, clayton).
4) high clearance tranny crossmember (savvy, ucf).

that should burn up all of the money (and then some) for starters

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
post #7 of 35 Old 07-21-2013, 09:45 PM
BamaJeepman21

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ford 8.8- $1800
SYE/DC shaft- $500
UCF tummy tuck- $615
sliders-$500
corner armor-$400
gas tank skid-$350
MC 3.5" no shocks-$2,000
Bilstein 5100's-$300
Regear the front-$600
Spartan locker-$300

Those are the best options. Granted that comes out to around $7,000 so take your pick.

edit: Would also like to add that the armor is Savvy aluminum aka $$$$. It would be cheaper with steel.

-Jack
post #8 of 35 Old 07-21-2013, 10:01 PM
Mr_Speakeasy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I would upgrade youre rear axle to a Ford 8.8, regear both axles based on tire size youll eventually get to and get lockers for axles. Best thing to do is to upgrade your rig mechanically, then cosmetically, doesnt matter if it looks good but cant handle the trail.
post #9 of 35 Old 07-21-2013, 10:18 PM
26679cj5

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I bought a bunch of stuff for my jeep this year too, working with a similar budget. I did go over some because I decided I needed to buy more tools while I had the money. Lease let us know what you have as far as tools go, and if you think this jeep thing is what you want to be doing for years to come.

Some wise buying decisions now as far as tools go can save you lots of money down the road. If you buy a medium duty Hobart welder and just spend a few hours practicing, you will be able to do your own 8.8 for well under $1000 and the welder will have paid for itself on the very first project.
post #10 of 35 Old 07-22-2013, 08:45 AM
tyvanwie

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Y'all are saying regear when he hasn't even said that he was going to bigger tires If he is, then that's fine.
First off, I'd get a full blown 8.8 from ECGS
HP30 or front 44, depending on tires
Full armor
Beef steering
Bigger brakes
Longer brake lines
Suspension seats
New shocks
Antirock
Winch
Bumpers

This is all just speculation...you need to tell us what your plans are otherwise these lists will go on forever.
post #11 of 35 Old 07-22-2013, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
AtomicDog
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I guess I was a bit vague concerning my intentions. I have a shop and all tools I need accept a lift, including MIG and ARC welders, cutting torch, etc. I've been Jeeping or 4wheeling since the mid 80s and live just outside of Windrock OHV Park. I doubt I'll go much bigger in tire size due to CG. The Jeep will see a fair amount of wheeling, but most of it will be more technical than Bonzai mudding. I once built a CJ with 36" mudders, etc. and spent more time repairing it than riding. It was fully locked with a built v8 engine and broke everything when I played too hard. Now I want a Jeep to explore, hunt and get from point A to B in one piece. I've got the D35. so I know it has to go. I'm more interested in building a reliable and functional trail rig than a monster poser. 5K is a starting number to get the "must haves" out of the way. Thanks for the suggestions!

Warranty and customer service won't matter if your equipment fails during a zombie attack.
Torture numbers long enough and they'll tell you what you want to hear.
cq cq KI4DOG
post #12 of 35 Old 07-22-2013, 09:28 AM
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicDog View Post
I guess I was a bit vague concerning my intentions. I have a shop and all tools I need accept a lift, including MIG and ARC welders, cutting torch, etc. I've been Jeeping or 4wheeling since the mid 80s and live just outside of Windrock OHV Park. I doubt I'll go much bigger in tire size due to CG. The Jeep will see a fair amount of wheeling, but most of it will be more technical than Bonzai mudding. I once built a CJ with 36" mudders, etc. and spent more time repairing it than riding. It was fully locked with a built v8 engine and broke everything when I played too hard. Now I want a Jeep to explore, hunt and get from point A to B in one piece. I've got the D35. so I know it has to go. I'm more interested in building a reliable and functional trail rig than a monster poser. 5K is a starting number to get the "must haves" out of the way. Thanks for the suggestions!
Sounds like task #1 for you is that axle then armor. As far as your tire size goes 33s or 35s can be done with minimal lift check out imped's rig. I personally think that larger tires are great if you can run them with the proper axle setup which you are planning to do, but you dont need a ton of lift with some type of hi line fender setup. Metalcloak pretty much guarantees 35s on stock suspension with their fender armor. But if you aren't interested in larger tires For your rig then that'll save you a lot of coin but honestly I think a full blown 8.8 is a lot of money to just run 31s for hunting trails. Thats my opinion on that but it does sound like armor is your best friend so I would look into rokmen savvy and metalcloak.. there are others out there too but those are the ones im trusting to go on my rig. But I would seriously consider upgrading your steering components, brakes if they aren't stopping your 31s appropriately, basic maintenance on your vehicles motor/transmission since they will definitely make it unreliable If not cared for which im sure you know but thats just what im thinking considering you dont have "big" build plans.
post #13 of 35 Old 07-22-2013, 09:55 AM
26679cj5

2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you end up going for the 8.8, the artec truss is awesome.
post #14 of 35 Old 07-22-2013, 01:43 PM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Man, if I were that close to WindRock there's no way I'd plan to stick with 31" tires. I beat the snot out of my under cariage with 35s every time I go out there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #15 of 35 Old 07-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Mr_Speakeasy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Get a Super 35 kit then, cheaper than a d44 or a 8.8 and itll work fine for smaller tires. An air compressor to air your tires back up, and some kind of BB lift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in