How to remove side glass window panels from fiberglass hard top - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-03-2020, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
gregM=1944

How to remove side glass window panels from fiberglass hard top

After successfully accomplishing the goal of getting my Jeep to the bottom of a 480-foot-high sand dune, albeit not without rolling it once, I have recently replaced several items, including the original factory hardtop. (One of the spectators who viewed all from atop the dune, described the event as being rather graceful. The untethered bottle jack that ricocheted off my head left me with a different impression,which is healing quite nicely now.)

Both one-piece side windows, with four inches of fiberglass around each window, were removed via a Sawzall. At the time, it seemed like a good idea to save these glass panels for future use; the sand dune is still there, after all.

But now, I'm finding it possible to remove the glass panels from the rubber molding and tar-like substance that holds each window into the remnants of the fiberglass frame.

My obvious question is: How do I remove these glass panels without breaking them?

Any ideas, anyone?

Greg in Las Vegas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-04-2020, 01:57 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've never had a hard top but have at times removed bonded glass from vehicles at work. The process described in the FSM looks similar to how I do it. It can take time and those snap off blade knives used by the glass fitters at work can snap if they get stuck in the polyurethane bonding agent. I'd recommend wearing gloves and safety specs.

QUARTER GLASS
REMOVAL

(1) Cover surface areas with protective covering to avoid paint damage and extra clean-up time.
(2) Using a razor knife, slide the blade between the quarter glass and the inboard edge of the reveal molding.
(3) Cut around the interior perimeter of the reveal molding and sever the cap of the reveal molding.(4) Using a cold knife, cut the urethane around the perimeter of the quarter glass.
(5) Remove the quarter glass from the opening (Fig. 4).
Attached Images

post #3 of 6 Old 03-05-2020, 06:27 AM
EricD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If I understand you correctly, you have the windows removed from the damaged hard top, but each window still has hard top material surrounding it...

If that is the case, and you have a multi-tool vibrating saw, you can carefully cut the hardtop material in several places around the window. That is what I did when removing windows from a damaged hard top I had. Then I just used a razor to cut the rubber molding, and separated the hard top material.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-05-2020, 11:44 AM
fugitive
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The windows are held in with urethane like a windshield. I recently had one loose and rattling, took it to a glass company who cut it out and reinstalled. The window was taped in until the urethane cured. I didn't see how they did it but I would expect some type of knife or similar blade. Maybe just leave it in the fiberglass until you need it...maybe you never will. Glad you didn't get hurt too bad.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-05-2020, 11:48 AM
newheep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
window knifes

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...nife&FORM=IGRE

Keeping rubber side down
post #6 of 6 Old 03-06-2020, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
gregM=1944

Greetings gentlemen,

Thank you for your technical and safety suggestions. I will follow both, and maybe buy a new tool, too.

As twisted as my logic is, I'm pleased to learn that even skilled folks like y'all, advised the task at hand will be difficult, because this was exactly what I experienced and why I went to Jeep Forum to ask for help. Which you gave me.

Greg in Las Vegas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in