How often should my wife drive my jeep? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 27 Old 12-30-2009, 09:01 AM
Deezelweazel
1999 XJ Cherokee 

An engine is designed to work under load.
Idle allows lateral movement of the crank, con rods and pistons.
This movement combined with the cold engine temperature is the worst thing you could do to an engine.
Wear is accelerrated.
Acids and humditiy developed during idle have to be absorbed by the oil.
It takes a long time to reach operating temperature- Don't get fooled by the water temps- oil is still cold.
But it develops its lubricity best at operational-temp.
A lot of fuel has to be injected during idle to overcome friction. Not all of this fuel gets burned.
It dilutes the oil. Oil looses the viscosity because gas has no lubing abilities.
This dilluted oil is pressed through the bearings. Bearings are sensitive to non circular movements caused by the lateral movements with no load. And the cycle closes its ring. Accelerated wear of the bearings (bearings are very sensitive to all movements without that lubing oil pressure film between the bearing and the crank), more play in the bearings, lack of oil pressure- a worn out engine.

Of course this not to recognize during idle-it's a slow and unrecognized process over months and years.
Just avoid extended idle times.
It's different for turbo engines. They need idle to lube the turbo bearing to avoid wear. But it is a process timed in seconds until oil pressure is up. Not for minutes and long times!

Last edited by Deezelweazel; 12-30-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 Old 12-30-2009, 09:40 AM
Dabbill
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My wife cant drive a stick. So my step dad drives my jeep once or twice a week to work to keep stuff lubed up. Will be nice once I can get home from Afghanistan to drive my jeep again.
post #18 of 27 Old 12-30-2009, 09:46 AM
rshives
2006 TJ Wrangler 

lol I was going the complete other way until I realized the reasoning behind you wanting her to drive it.

Thanks for your service.

post #19 of 27 Old 12-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Turner

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I would have her drive it once a week, and have her engage 4wd once a month. Use 4 hi, for a bit, and then 4 lo. Lubes everything in the front axle, and tcase.

The ethanol in gas can and will eat holes in your fuel lines. Being a new TJ you won't have as much problem, but my old YJ I would drive only to wheel, and using crap gas from shell that uses ethanol ate my lines. I would only use chevron, or whatever stations use 100% gas while you are away.

Thank you for your service!

--Turner--
2006 Jeep TJ
1982 Toyota Pickup 20r/22r Hybrid, 5.29s, Lockrite frt/spool rear, Longfields, Hysteer, discs, armor, dents, smiles.
1970 Ford Bronco302, dana 30, 9", 3 on the tree, show stopper.
post #20 of 27 Old 12-30-2009, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Blackhorse6

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Everyone!

This Forum never fails to disappoint, thanks for the advice, I was thinking that 1/week was the way to go. Wanted to re-enforce that she needed to get it moving not just idling.
post #21 of 27 Old 12-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Kinless
2012 JK Wrangler 

If anything like my wife. Every time its left unattended she will take off in it.
post #22 of 27 Old 12-30-2009, 11:09 AM
silvershark
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i let my old ford idle once a month for 10 + years and drove it may be 5 times... fords are pretty tough though.
post #23 of 27 Old 12-30-2009, 11:24 AM
kuebelwagen

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for Our freedom, be safe!

In love with, Suki.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

2004 Rubicon
1995 Cherokee
post #24 of 27 Old 12-30-2009, 02:55 PM
BlueFlame

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netpackrat View Post
The engine may not come up to full temperature simply idling, which is necessary to burn off the condensation that builds up in the engine while it is sitting, and also the oil pump isn't flowing as much volume at idle, so extended idling isn't necessarily a good idea in any event. Also, even if the engine reaches full temp and the oil flow to the interals is adequate, leaving the vehicle sitting idling does nothing for the lubrication of the other drivetrain components.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezelweazel View Post
An engine is designed to work under load.
Idle allows lateral movement of the crank, con rods and pistons.
This movement combined with the cold engine temperature is the worst thing you could do to an engine.
Wear is accelerrated.
Acids and humditiy developed during idle have to be absorbed by the oil.
It takes a long time to reach operating temperature- Don't get fooled by the water temps- oil is still cold.
But it develops its lubricity best at operational-temp.
A lot of fuel has to be injected during idle to overcome friction. Not all of this fuel gets burned.
It dilutes the oil. Oil looses the viscosity because gas has no lubing abilities.
This dilluted oil is pressed through the bearings. Bearings are sensitive to non circular movements caused by the lateral movements with no load. And the cycle closes its ring. Accelerated wear of the bearings (bearings are very sensitive to all movements without that lubing oil pressure film between the bearing and the crank), more play in the bearings, lack of oil pressure- a worn out engine.

Of course this not to recognize during idle-it's a slow and unrecognized process over months and years.
Just avoid extended idle times.
Great replies!
One more thing - most of the above will contribute to drastically reduced life of the catalytic converters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #25 of 27 Old 12-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Mud-Hunter
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I bought a manual for this very reason and I WRECKED the damn thing last weekend. Oh Why me!?

I would just have her start it up until warmed up and once around the block and RIGHT back to bed.
post #26 of 27 Old 12-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Scotch740

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner View Post
I would have her drive it once a week, and have her engage 4wd once a month. Use 4 hi, for a bit, and then 4 lo. Lubes everything in the front axle, and tcase.
You know the whole drive train is spinning whether your in 4wd or not, right?
No need to put it in 4wd to lube things unless your have locking hubs, and in taht case you just lock them to get things lubed.
post #27 of 27 Old 12-30-2009, 04:41 PM
GreenZZ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netpackrat View Post
The engine may not come up to full temperature simply idling, which is necessary to burn off the condensation that builds up in the engine while it is sitting, and also the oil pump isn't flowing as much volume at idle, so extended idling isn't necessarily a good idea in any event. Also, even if the engine reaches full temp and the oil flow to the interals is adequate, leaving the vehicle sitting idling does nothing for the lubrication of the other drivetrain components.
Thank you for your explanation. I was wondering myself

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in