how much antifreeze/coolant - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 12-04-2009, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
randymack
1997 TJ Wrangler 

how much antifreeze/coolant

My Jeep has water only in radiator (it IS arizona) but i will be taking it up into the mountains and it gets below freeezin up there. So when i drain the water how much new 50/50 will i need to put in?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-04-2009, 06:01 PM
BlazinJack
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you buy premixed coolant, you need to fill it full of premix (the name 50/50 comes from the fact that its premixed 50% water, 50% coolant) if you buy concentrated coolant, i like to go 60% coolant 40% water here in colorado. i wouldnt go much more either way though.

"No beer and no t.v. make Jack something something..."
Colorado Jeep Club #145!!
Black Jeep Society
post #3 of 18 Old 12-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Your cooling system holds 10.5 quarts of coolant, that type of information can be found in the forum's FAQ at the top of TJ Tech forum's main page.

But even in Arizona, never run just plain water in your cooling system. Coolant contains a lubricant the water pump requires as well as antirust/anticorrosive additives that keep your cooling system from rusting/corroding out. And never run regular tap water either, use distilled. Tap water is loaded with dissolved mineral content, especially there in Arizona, which will clog up your radiator with hard water deposits.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

post #4 of 18 Old 12-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Specbill
1998 TJ Wrangler 

After choosing the percentage mix that you want you can buy a pretty inexpensive tool that will tell you to what cold temperature your radiator is prep'ed to handle. Any of these should do:Amazon.com: antifreeze testers: Automotive

Bill J.
'98 Wrangler, 4.0, Auto, Hard/Soft Tops, Dana 44's, PIAA Fog's...
post #5 of 18 Old 12-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Moses2564

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Your cooling system holds 10.5 quarts of coolant, that type of information can be found in the forum's FAQ at the top of TJ Tech forum's main page.

But even in Arizona, never run just plain water in your cooling system. Coolant contains a lubricant the water pump requires as well as antirust/anticorrosive additives that keep your cooling system from rusting/corroding out. And never run regular tap water either, use distilled. Tap water is loaded with dissolved mineral content, especially there in Arizona, which will clog up your radiator with hard water deposits.
Indeed. Oxidization is your enemy .

2000 Solar Yellow TJ
2000 Ford F250 Super Duty
2006 Volvo S40
1997 Arctic Cat ZRT 600

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 Old 12-04-2009, 07:20 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Jerry, what is your opinion of "softened" water and "reverse osmosis" water ?

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #7 of 18 Old 12-04-2009, 08:00 PM
jondotcom
2004 LJ Wrangler 

you want distilled (less minerals to cause corrosion)
post #8 of 18 Old 12-05-2009, 07:42 PM
BlueFlame

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
Jerry, what is your opinion of "softened" water and "reverse osmosis" water ?
Reverse osomosis water is pretty good. I'd use it.

'Softened' water still has the 'bonus extras' in it, plus salt! Bad stuff to put in your engine or your battery either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #9 of 18 Old 12-09-2009, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
randymack
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I only got 2 Gallons in my Radiator before it started to overflow. let the JEEP run for 15 minutes and took the Cap off again and still full. Jerry, you estimated 10.5 quarts but it barely took 8....

also I tried putting the heat on while it was running and it went ftom warm to cool air blowing.
post #10 of 18 Old 12-09-2009, 08:54 PM
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinJack View Post
If you buy premixed coolant, you need to fill it full of premix (the name 50/50 comes from the fact that its premixed 50% water, 50% coolant) if you buy concentrated coolant, i like to go 60% coolant 40% water here in colorado. i wouldnt go much more either way though.
Especially this winter in Colorado...

Like Jerry said, not a good idea to run just water. Also while you have it all drained I would flush the system. This coming summer when it is warm again that's what I will be doing because I don't think it has ever been done.
post #11 of 18 Old 12-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
Especially this winter in Colorado...

Like Jerry said, not a good idea to run just water. Also while you have it all drained I would flush the system. This coming summer when it is warm again that's what I will be doing because I don't think it has ever been done.
x2...-2*F this morning, with -36*F windchill

do your cooling system and battery right if you're coming to the moutains. if you don't, you'll only make that mistake once.

Useful Write-Ups:

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #12 of 18 Old 12-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post

do your cooling system and battery right if you're coming to the moutains. if you don't, you'll only make that mistake once.
-9, warmed up to 2. Now -5...

Gone but not forgotten.
post #13 of 18 Old 12-09-2009, 09:13 PM
timberwolf0122

2005 LJ Wrangler 

^I living in VT and I'm planning to impliment a dual battery system , I like the idea of a backup (plus I like to run a power drill off the inverter due to a lack of out side power).

For the coolant I not use anything other than distilled water it is as close to pure H2O as you can get and then add then mix in the recommended dilution of coolant, maybe a hair over.

Atheist Jeep Club Member #2
Doctor Who has died 13 times, is on his 14th regeneration and has a time machine, beat that Jesus.
post #14 of 18 Old 12-09-2009, 09:18 PM
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberwolf0122 View Post
^I living in VT and I'm planning to impliment a dual battery system , I like the idea of a backup (plus I like to run a power drill off the inverter due to a lack of out side power).

For the coolant I not use anything other than distilled water it is as close to pure H2O as you can get and then add then mix in the recommended dilution of coolant, maybe a hair over.
Not once has my red top failed me. Except for coming home from school, on these cold days, it is having a hard time starting. I think it because the battery is 8 years old and has been drained many times.
post #15 of 18 Old 12-09-2009, 09:20 PM
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post

It has been so cold in the mornings my windshield wiper fluid freezes to my windshield.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in