How To Fix a Tear or Hole in Your Soft Top Write-up Jeep TJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-25-2013, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
BABrax
1999 TJ Wrangler 

How To Fix a Tear or Hole in Your Soft Top Write-up Jeep TJ

So i was recently driving through some trails and a tree decided it needed a ride in the Jeep and proceeded to rip about a 3 Inch hole in my soft top, right above my head.

Well long story short I looked for some easy fixes and most people suggested taking it to a upholstery shop and have it professionally redone, well as a college student on a budget, that obviously isn't an option. So here is a write-up on how I patched the hole in my soft top.

STEP 1:
SUPPLIES

Easiest thing I figured out to do was stitch the tear shut and put an iron on patch over it, then seal it with a flexible adhesive. Just go to a local fabric store or hobby lobby or any of those place and pick up a needle and some outdoors thread that is made for the outdoors so it wont break with a little wear'n'tear. The needle doesn't have to be huge, but big enough to pierce through the tough top on the jeep. You will also need an iron on jean patch from the same place. Next just go to like a Lowes or Home Depot and get some flexible fabric adhesive, that will seal and waterproof it. This all costed me a little under 20$

STEP 2:
STITCH HER UP

Honestly this is the hardest part about it, if you have no sewing experience like me, took me a while to get the hang of it but I Finally got it all stitched up. Only advice here would be to make the holes for the thread at least one inch away from the tear or else when you pull the slack on the string it will just tear right through.

STEP 3:
SEAL THE STITCH

Basically just put some of the adhesive on your finger and run it over the stitch and make sure it covers the entire thing and there is no hole left for water to get through. Leave about 30 min for it to dry

STEP 4:
PATCH AND SEAL

Next is really two steps i just forgot to take a picture. Heat up an iron to about medium and place the patch over the stitch and make sure there is at least an inch of slack on all side around the stitch. Next just run the iron over it for about a minute and let it stick down to the top, don't worry this shouldn't harm the top unless you make it overly hot. Let that sit for a few minuets then take the adhesive and run it around all the edges of the patch to make sure it is sealed down. Let that dry for about 30 Min. This ensures the patch stays stuck to the top.

FINAL STEP:
SEAL IT ALL UP

This is the easy and messy step, basically just rub a pretty thick layer of the adhesive all over the top of the patch to ensure it is waterproofed and rain wont get through. Be generous because if it doesn't seal right water will leak through and you'll have to put more adhesive on it.

Well there you have it, a fairly simple way to patch a tear in your soft top! This is my first ever write-up so let me know what you think and I'll try to post more when i get the time. If you have any questions or anything feel free to leave a comment or PM me. Thanks and hope this helps!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-25-2013, 03:16 PM
dan121
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have a similar tear over my head. I cleaned the area with acetone and slapped a piece of gorilla tape over the hole. It's been water-tight for 14 months.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Necko2529

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Good job and thanks for sharing. I wonder why you decided to make another write up on it? Didn't you already made one? Anyways, great job.

Rokmen TT, Rokmen control arms, Novak NV241 cable shifter, JKS 1.25" BL + 1" MML.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

RIP "Prescott 19" Prescott Fire Department

post #4 of 5 Old 08-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Lonewolf42
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nice write up

Check out my ballin on a students budget TJ build!

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/tj-building-students-1558299/
post #5 of 5 Old 08-25-2013, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
BABrax
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necko2529 View Post
Good job and thanks for sharing. I wonder why you decided to make another write up on it? Didn't you already made one? Anyways, great job.
had a little miss communication with a moderator and it got deleted
oh well! just remade it and put it back out here!

Tags
jeep tj , patch , soft top problems , soft top seam failure , write-up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in