How do you reattach this bolt? - JeepForum.com
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Jonny Jeep
  • 1 Post By Serenity Now

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-14-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Serenity Now

How do you reattach this bolt?

So I was taking off my light bar mounts to repaint and when I unscrewed the bolts, I noticed that the "nut" on the backside fell off. I thought the backside of the window frame had the nuts welded in but it looks like a piece of metal with the 2 nuts attached to it has fallen into the inside of the window cavity. I see no way to get in there. In the 1st pic you can see the area I'm talking about. The 2nd pic shows the best close-up I could get of the inside of the window frame with the nut freely bouncing around inside. WTF?

Attached Thumbnails
1103191138.jpg   1103191138a.jpg  

Last edited by Serenity Now; 11-14-2019 at 01:27 PM. Reason: typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-14-2019, 02:39 PM
JeffBowser

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've never messed with those bolts, but maybe fold the windshield down?
post #3 of 8 Old 11-14-2019, 04:43 PM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've had to deal with loose nut plates in door frames of vehicles at work. Dropping the windshield forward may help as there are some holes in the bottom of the frame, but I can't remember how far they are from the corners. I'd try it as it is at the moment as the plate is visible, and it would obviously move if the frame were folded down.

It needs patience. You'll need some pretty thin rod and/or maybe some welding wire or similar. It can be difficult to get plates like that oriented using only the holes for access. Once the plates are oriented you need a bent wire/hook so you can pull on the plate through one hole and hold it in place. You then need to remove the wire from one hole and get a bolt started. It can help using a longer bolt with a nut on. When the thread is started, the nut can be wound on to hold the plate whilst the hook is removed and one of the original bolts fitted. The longer bolt can then be removed and replaced with the proper bolt.

Did I say it needs patience?

post #4 of 8 Old 11-14-2019, 07:21 PM
JFM626

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You could always use a well nut. Would have to use a different and perhaps modified bolt, but should work

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well_nut

How can you trust an atom, they make up everything
post #5 of 8 Old 11-14-2019, 11:59 PM
WSS
Graduate U-Tube Univ.

2000 TJ Wrangler 

A scribe magnet pulled and super glued into a plastic straw might work. Your are out of luck if you live in Kali. A short length of heat shrink tube could work. You may be able to stick a coat hanger through some heat shrink tube, shrink it and then put a rare earth magnet on the outside end and that may be enough to magnetize the bit of coat hanger exposed to grab the nut plate inside the hole.

The family TJ build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

non stock CJ's:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My CJ5 Build:

post #6 of 8 Old 11-15-2019, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Serenity Now

Thanks for the advice. Patience is the key for sure. Folding the windshield fwd still doesn't seem to give enough space to get in there and situate the nut plate easily. The way I got it maneuvered into position was with some small allen wrenches and coat hanger wire. I was able to get a bolt started but the new problem I discovered was that the nut threads are somewhat stripped... Looks like it was slightly crossthreaded when the previous owner installed the light bar mounts. Since the nut is already trashed I used some medium loctite and just stripped out the bolt/nut even more as I don't plan to remove the bolts again hopefully. I don't think they will hold too long so I'm thinking the wellnut approach will be my next step. Problem with that is the nut plate will be rattling around inside the frame (can't get it out easily even with window down) so I may shoot a small amount of insulation foam in there to keep it from bouncing and help sturdy the wellnut.

I'll update the thread whenever my current setup breaks and i need to try the wellnut route. :-(

2001 Wrangler 4.0 5-Spd 4" lift, 33's or 35's depending on the day
post #7 of 8 Old 11-15-2019, 10:34 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

as far as the stripped threads, what if you run the next larger tap, even if you go from metric to sae or sae to metric.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #8 of 8 Old 11-15-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
as far as the stripped threads, what if you run the next larger tap, even if you go from metric to sae or sae to metric.
That's what I did for right now. The only issue is I think I used a slightly longer bolt than necessary so it doesn't seem to want to tighten but so far. The other bolt is short and is barely hanging on (Had to not use a washer to get the bolt to reach). And I don't want to take the bolts back out and go through the pain of redoing the procedure again until I have to. As long as you don't compare driver side bolts to passenger side bolts it looks fairly legit. I was patient enough to paint the bolts black so they don't look completely backyard repaired.
Attached Thumbnails
2019-11-15_12-48-55.jpg  
Jonny Jeep likes this.

2001 Wrangler 4.0 5-Spd 4" lift, 33's or 35's depending on the day

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in