post #31 of 150 Old 12-12-2017, 06:50 AM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGatorade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by toximus View Post
That might work. OP will need to make sure he works with measurements from his year as skid positions changed slightly, didn't they?
My unique circumstances probably allow this to work better than you might expect. I just need some decent dimensioned drawings of the mounts and their locations on the frame and axles. We have a plasma table at work and I do a large amount of drafting work. We have a CNC break, and I have machinist friends. The means are there. I will just need a good Samaritan to help me out with the drawings.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
What are you wanting to do with your Jeep? That may determine what you want to build.

Building the right way for 37s.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 150 Old 12-12-2017, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
CaptainGatorade
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What are you wanting to do with your Jeep? That may determine what you want to build.
I don't need any serious off road capability. I'll mostly just be on old gravel roads, a few fields, ect. I wanted to run 35's, but from the sound of it, that's a lot more expensive than I'd like to deal with. I was thinking in my initial post it would be similar to a dodge/chevy truck on 35's, but a bit of research later, I'm finding that this is not the case.

I wonder if the most cost effective option may be to find a rollover wrecked TJ and starting swapping parts. Sell what I don't need, scrap some of the trash I've got.

post #33 of 150 Old 12-12-2017, 07:09 AM
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:

I wonder if the most cost effective option may be to find a rollover wrecked TJ and starting swapping parts. Sell what I don't need, scrap some of the trash I've got.

At least then, you would have a template for what shouldn't be there and for what should. Honestly, a frame and axle swap makes the most sense. Skip trying to undo what has been done.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2003 Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 150 Old 12-12-2017, 07:36 AM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Make your cousin give you your money back, go buy a stock Wrangler.
post #35 of 150 Old 12-12-2017, 08:35 AM
rficken42

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
i think buying a new used frame and a set of axles would be more cost effective then returning that to stock. you will probably be chasing issues forever if something isn't aligned when re-welding or something was installed on it poorly.

99TJ 5.2V8 ax15 2.5lift dana30/44 Lockers 410s 35s AtlasII bellyup skid & winch
post #36 of 150 Old 12-12-2017, 08:48 AM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Depending on where you're at (or if you want to freight them) I have a Dana 44 and 30 set I'll be selling. Very good shape structurally, but rusty. You might be just as happy with a Dana 35 rear though.

Building the right way for 37s.
post #37 of 150 Old 12-12-2017, 09:05 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

I think it depends how much you are into it for, and how much you are willing to spend.

Yes, it has a lot of extra crap, but that frame looks low mile and rust free, no?

Many TJ owners would kill to have that as a starting point compared to what they currently have.
Not finding/ swapping a frame saves a good ton of dough that can be put towards fixing the rest of the suspension

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #38 of 150 Old 12-12-2017, 09:08 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My unique circumstances probably allow this to work better than you might expect. I just need some decent dimensioned drawings of the mounts and their locations on the frame and axles. We have a plasma table at work and I do a large amount of drafting work. We have a CNC break, and I have machinist friends. The means are there. I will just need a good Samaritan to help me out with the drawings.

Measurements for the frame from the Factory Service Manual are below.

Unfortunately the FSM does not provide measurements for the axle brackets.

frame-top-view-tj.jpg

frame-side-view-tj.jpg
post #39 of 150 Old 12-12-2017, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
CaptainGatorade
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
I think it depends how much you are into it for, and how much you are willing to spend.

Yes, it has a lot of extra crap, but that frame looks low mile and rust free, no?

Many TJ owners would kill to have that as a starting point compared to what they currently have.
Not finding/ swapping a frame saves a good ton of dough that can be put towards fixing the rest of the suspension

Hoss
Yes, the frame is rust free and has 35k miles on it. I want to stay under $15k total cost ($12k optimal). I paid $7k for it. The wheels and tires on it should bring $1k or so. The rest is probably trash. I have a couple of Dirt Logic shocks left over from my truck lift that I might be able to use.

post #40 of 150 Old 12-12-2017, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
CaptainGatorade
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Measurements for the frame from the Factory Service Manual are below.

Unfortunately the FSM does not provide measurements for the axle brackets.

Attachment 3560394

Attachment 3560402
Thank you! I wonder if there are any detailed drawings of the brackets themselves. I'm sure it would be cheaper to fab them vs purchasing replacements

post #41 of 150 Old 12-12-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
CaptainGatorade
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Depending on where you're at (or if you want to freight them) I have a Dana 44 and 30 set I'll be selling. Very good shape structurally, but rusty. You might be just as happy with a Dana 35 rear though.
I'm in MO. I kinda doubt it would be the most economical option to ship those to me, but thank you!

post #42 of 150 Old 12-12-2017, 09:23 AM
zackcj7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Even though i'm not really a fan of long arm kits on a TJ, that may be an easier route than trying to cut off that mess and put the factory type mounts back in. If it were me I would probably cut all that crap off and toss it. Then i'd pick up a XJ high pinion 30 front and Explorer 8.8 rear from the junk yard. By some kind of long arm lift that doesn't require the factory short arm frame mounts and start from there.
post #43 of 150 Old 12-12-2017, 09:23 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattific View Post
.....and the “track bar” doesn’t appear to be connected to the frame at all....

tb-1.jpg

tb-2.jpg
post #44 of 150 Old 12-12-2017, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
CaptainGatorade
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackcj7 View Post
Even though i'm not really a fan of long arm kits on a TJ, that may be an easier route than trying to cut off that mess and put the factory type mounts back in. If it were me I would probably cut all that crap off and toss it. Then i'd pick up a XJ high pinion 30 front and Explorer 8.8 rear from the junk yard. By some kind of long arm lift that doesn't require the factory short arm frame mounts and start from there.
Do you know of any in-depth write ups for this route?

Thanks!

post #45 of 150 Old 12-12-2017, 09:28 AM
danb303

2006 LJ Wrangler 

https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/p...413951175.html

If you could find something like this and get the frame and axles.

2006 LJR Auto. 35" tires, 538 gears, IRO 4"lift. Tom Woods! JKS TB, Rancho 5000x, Currie Correctlync

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in