Hope for '05-'06 TJ owners with PCM issues - JeepForum.com
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 Old 02-28-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
rcroane
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hope for '05-'06 TJ owners with PCM issues

Hi folks.....

I have shared my hard shift/PCM woes on other threads. Long story short, I had the classic symptoms and went on a quest to find a Chrysler re-manufactured PCM. Found one at a dealer in Vermont at a cost of $1,400. Worked great for about 1,000 miles, then started throwing the P0218 and P0714 codes. I was about to start the warranty process when I stumbled on a sticker that came with the re-manufactured unit. It said that if you were having technical difficulties installing the PCM to call 1-800-86MOPAR. So, I called the number to see if they could assist with the warranty claim. It turns out that the number connected me to Flight Systems Electronics Group. They are the licensed re-manufacturer of our PCM's. On a whim, I asked the guy I talked to if he could swap out my faulty PCM (re-manufactured) for a new one. No problem he says....I have a good one here on my desk. I provided my VIN and had the unit the next day. Working great so far, but only about 250 miles on it.

Here's where it gets better. I asked if I could buy another unit from them as a backup. No problem....cost is $300 plus core exchange. And the core can be your original PCM, does not have to be a re-manufactured one. My second unit is being shipped on Monday.

FSEG appears to be the real deal. Not an internet rebuilder of modules. They are located in Lewisberry, PA.

Hope this helps others.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 02-28-2019, 02:22 PM
dbbd1

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks!

I'm bookmarking this one...

The opinions of worthless people, are worthless.

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
post #3 of 55 Old 02-28-2019, 02:30 PM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Only time will tell.
tworley likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/LoD bumpers/Black Magic brakes
Desert Sand 99' XJ Classic (JEEP #18) ) 5" BDS lift / HP30/ 8.25/ 33x12.50" DC Extreme Country/Tactik black satin wheels.

post #4 of 55 Old 02-28-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
rcroane
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Only time will tell.
Yep. I will update after 1,000 miles. I won't be testing the backup unit as long as the first one continues to perform. I don't want to mess with it if no reason to.
TheBoogieman likes this.
post #5 of 55 Old 02-28-2019, 02:50 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

With all the PCM threads, and even more the last 6 months or so, it would be nice if there was a sticky with really good tried/true info. It would save others a lot of headaches.

I curious, with the spare PCM, your mileage is always going to be mismatched between the cluster, correct? And, do you have SKIM?
Bullhead likes this.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #6 of 55 Old 02-28-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
rcroane
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
With all the PCM threads, and even more the last 6 months or so, it would be nice if there was a sticky with really good tried/true info. It would save others a lot of headaches.

I curious, with the spare PCM, your mileage is always going to be mismatched between the cluster, correct? And, do you have SKIM?
They did not request my mileage for the flash, only my VIN. So, I guess mileage doesn't matter? The mileage on my cluster did not change when I installed the current unit. I do not have SKIM.
post #7 of 55 Old 02-28-2019, 02:57 PM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If this works, it would be like finding a cure for Jeep herpes. Hopefully it won't keep coming back.
rcroane, arg0413 and DougRz like this.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/LoD bumpers/Black Magic brakes
Desert Sand 99' XJ Classic (JEEP #18) ) 5" BDS lift / HP30/ 8.25/ 33x12.50" DC Extreme Country/Tactik black satin wheels.
post #8 of 55 Old 02-28-2019, 02:59 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcroane View Post
The mileage on my cluster did not change when I installed the current unit.
Surprised by this. I believe the accepted lore, and my experience with my XJ, is that the cluster does not update to the PCM mileage when a swap happens.
post #9 of 55 Old 02-28-2019, 03:07 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Surprised by this. I believe the accepted lore, and my experience with my XJ, is that the cluster does not update to the PCM mileage when a swap happens.
I'm an idiot. Afternoon margaritas kicking in. This actually makes complete sense. I was confusing with cluster swaps. On a PCM swap mileage on cluster should not change as it is stored separately from PCM mileage. I wonder what happens in states with annual inspections that PCM gets plugged in to state computer and who knows what mileage it sees. Maybe as long as VIN matches all will be good.
TheBoogieman likes this.
post #10 of 55 Old 02-28-2019, 04:16 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

^. I'm pretty sure I've read here before where 2 different mileages are present when one module is swapped. And neither module updates the other.

PCM mileage is via OBD2 connector. I've read stories where used TJs were bought and car fax records, state inspections,recalls, etc, indicated different from cluster

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #11 of 55 Old 02-28-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
rcroane
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
I'm an idiot. Afternoon margaritas kicking in. This actually makes complete sense. I was confusing with cluster swaps. On a PCM swap mileage on cluster should not change as it is stored separately from PCM mileage. I wonder what happens in states with annual inspections that PCM gets plugged in to state computer and who knows what mileage it sees. Maybe as long as VIN matches all will be good.
Virginia has state inspections. Guess I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it (August in my case). In the meantime, I’m going to check to see if my scanner shows mileage (never looked before).
post #12 of 55 Old 03-01-2019, 12:24 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcroane View Post
Virginia has state inspections. Guess I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it (August in my case). In the meantime, I’m going to check to see if my scanner shows mileage (never looked before).
I used to get rejected here in Va for things like a windshield decal, pinhole in the exhaust and headlights not bright enough. I found a few "old school" stations now that just check tires, brakes, horn and lights.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #13 of 55 Old 03-01-2019, 12:36 AM
Kolak
Vendor

Flight Systems did PCMs for Mopar way back in the early 1990s. Didn't realize they were still involved. That's great news since they are a very reputable company.
rcroane likes this.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 55 Old 03-01-2019, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
rcroane
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I used to get rejected here in Va for things like a windshield decal, pinhole in the exhaust and headlights not bright enough. I found a few "old school" stations now that just check tires, brakes, horn and lights.
Yeah, my wife was born and raised in Remington, VA (about 90 minutes north of Cville). If Iím passing through there around inspection time, I always pull off and get it done at the one gas station in town.
TheBoogieman likes this.
post #15 of 55 Old 03-01-2019, 05:43 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Anytime OBD mileage is used, I'd check to see if the tech can "overwrite" it with the cluster reading.

I can't see this as an issue, especially if you had proof of a component's replacement.

jhanna
denton county, tx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in