Homemade Bike Roof Rack - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-31-2020, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
ctferrarajr

Homemade Bike Roof Rack

Been getting back into road biking lately and with my Bestop extendatrunk in the rear of the Jeep tossing the bikes in the back is a little cumbersome. Came up with a solution to use some fork mounting blocks and letting the rear bike tires rest on the soundbar.

Total cost for the project was about $55. Fork mounts were $30 on ebay, U-channel was free at work, and the hardware was about $25 in nuts and bolts. The rear tires are held down with a velcro strap, there is not much force on them.

The only tricky part was matching the threads of the door surround bolts, but I ending up finding the specs in the forums here. Finding the perfect sized channel was also a big tough.

Took it for a short test drive today and am happy with it. It's a little unnerving with the forks sitting right above your head, but I think that will go away as I get more comfortable with it.

Yes, this is a top down only solution, but that works for us because we don't bike in the rain. Also this will also only be used on local roads, though I'm confident it could do find at highway speeds.

Pictures tell a thousand words, see below.

Attached Thumbnails
20200731_191521.jpg   20200731_191925.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-31-2020, 08:13 PM
TJKTodd

Pretty bad ***! Just don't forget when u hit the McDonald's drive thru

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 Old 07-31-2020, 08:59 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I think it'd look pretty cool to have a couple of "riders" up there when on the freeway at 70mph, just a peddling away.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx

post #4 of 10 Old 07-31-2020, 09:04 PM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJKTodd View Post
Pretty bad ***! Just don't forget when u hit the McDonald's drive thru

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

LOL, Friend of my wife forgot driving into her garage.... expensive mistake....

another option would be U channel behind the main hoop on the roll bar, and back wheels in the bed of the Jeep

Whats over that next ridge?
post #5 of 10 Old 07-31-2020, 09:21 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Seems to me like a spare tire or receiver mounted bike rack would be easier to use and not present overhead clearance issues. Any particular reason you went this route?

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #6 of 10 Old 08-01-2020, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
ctferrarajr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
Seems to me like a spare tire or receiver mounted bike rack would be easier to use and not present overhead clearance issues. Any particular reason you went this route?

I previously had the thule Spare Me Pro, the one that mounts on the spare tire. It was okay, but like any rack of that style it bounced around a lot on the road. It also put a TON of torque on the rear tire carrier and door. I was not confident in it long term. Used it twice and sold it.

A hitch mount would probably be easier, if I had a hitch. Until I get a new bumper with an integrated hitch this solution was the fastest and cheapest to implement. Fork mounts are also one of the most secure solutions, minimal bouncing around.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-01-2020, 06:40 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Get more exercise and just ride the bikes to the destination you're going to ride them at. My Dad used to ride his bike to and from work everyday an hour away. He was 70 years old at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-01-2020, 07:31 AM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nice solution. Simple and cheap. And it's better being able to see the bikes. I had a roof rack on my car and hated it. I was always worried about the bike flying off even though it was unlikely. Although, I did find it loose a few times. I too know people who forgot about their bikes and drove into the garage.

All of the spare tire bike racks I know of suck. They all hold onto the top tube which wears through the paint and can damage cables over time. And the bike is always bouncing around. A high clearance, swing away rack that holds both tires and the frame is the ideal solution. Nobody makes one. I have been meaning to make a setup that mounts my Thule roof racks to either the spare tire or the bumper.

97 TJ sport.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-01-2020, 11:49 AM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
What about the tray type rack the holds the bike by the tires, on a front mounted receiver?

Whats over that next ridge?
post #10 of 10 Old 08-01-2020, 06:27 PM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Could be an option. Wouldn't have to deal with the tailgate. Personally I don't think I would like a bike in the front, especially at the height needed for high clearance.

97 TJ sport.

Tags
bike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in