high steer set up - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By pipeburn

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-15-2020, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
pipeburn

high steer set up

Hello jeepsters, i recently have bought a 1997 jeep tj and i am in the 1st phase of a frame up restorasion and i am pulling off all the old suspension parts and would like to save the rugged stuff like the steering that has a high steer set up, the tie rods or heims joint are a problem one end i was able to remove it has a m22 x1.5 left and right hand thread and the dom tubing is 1 1/2 in dia,the left hand thread snapped inside with very little left in the tubing, i am staring to think is it worth replacing the tierods and were can i find the exact thread,im running 33 inch tires with 4inch lift and i am not wheeling it alot should i just go with a semi decent steering kit ,i also have the drag link with one end replacable tie rod but not the other end ,[weird] whats the sense of having one replacable but not the other, any sugestions would be great.my freind has a machine shop and will remove the remaining thread that broke its trying to find the tierods with that exact thread since most places dont offer the thread sizes it seems.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-16-2020, 07:58 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

go back to the OEM design and use a ZJ v8 tie rod. as long as mounting holes havent been enlarged it is a much better setup as far as handling and will accommodate up to a 35" tire.

high steer setups can be done right but require a lot of extra work to not be a downgrade from the OEM inverted Y steering.

https://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/zjtie/tierod-1.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-16-2020, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
pipeburn

Thank you very much iron head this is exactly what i was looking for and funny you send me this i was doing some research and was reading abought his exact set up ,even 1 better you gave me the part numbers to boot thank you very much !.
Ironhead likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-18-2020, 02:22 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

X2, high-steer on a TJ is the work of the devil. Dead spot in the center of the steering and bump steer. Stay with the factory geometry. '97 and newer Wranglers have a significantly upgraded steering geometry and replacing it with something else will usually create multiple steering issues.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-18-2020, 03:10 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
X2, high-steer on a TJ is the work of the devil. Dead spot in the center of the steering and bump steer.
Well, unless you do it right. But it does take a bunch of work and know-how to do it right.

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #6 of 6 Old 07-18-2020, 05:30 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Well, unless you do it right. But it does take a bunch of work and know-how to do it right.
Even if done correctly I don't know of any benefits to it for a TJ built as 99% of the members here do.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in