Hemi Build ... bring on the pain. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 Old 06-12-2008, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
LeBeteNoire

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hemi Build ... bring on the pain.

Well the time has come for my Hemi build to start. I purchased a used 07 Hemi mated to a 5 speed auto and electronic transfer case on E-Bay from Schram Auto and Truck parts in the US, and have begun the process of tearing down 98 SE and acquiring the rest of the needed parts. I will post pics soon. I will be doing all of the work myself, except the welding, in my garage at home. I will be using the transfer case from TJ. I will be using the services of the JeepSpeed shop for all parts not available in Canada and for my harness and pcm re-configuration. My plan is to document this build and provide all costs and any information I gather. Currently I have shelled out $4500.00 for the Hemi including all the shipping and handling fees. I am doing this build because I can, I have the money and the time. If any one else has already done this I would welcome any advice, part numbers etc. I will also be keeping the Dana 30 and Dana 35 axles my little baby came with along with the drive shafts. I want to see what happens with the Hemi and 5 speed driving them. If they break I will replace them with something stronger. I do work full time so this build my take some time to complete.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 06-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Timmah707

1997 TJ Wrangler 

sweet! I can't wait. Unfortunately I do not have the time, money, or knowledge needed to do something like this, so thank you sir, for letting me view your build! Good Luck! Oh, and there a quite a few people on here who have done v8 swaps, I'm sure you get pleanty of advice...whether you want it or not. lol

5.5" RE Long Arm, RE Monotubes, Gen. 2 Discos, 15x10 black steel, 35" BFG Muds, SYE, 30 spline chromoly rear shafts, 27 spline chromoly front shafts, Lock-Right Auto front, Ox Locker rear, 4.88s, LoD Xpedition Series Rear Bumper Tire Carrier

Blue Jeep Club Member #268

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket
post #3 of 66 Old 06-12-2008, 02:44 PM
SandboxTJ

Consider this thread crawled and subscribed, because that's what I can do.

post #4 of 66 Old 06-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Curlee
US Army 19D

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Does that hemi come with an electronic throttle body? You will either have to get a new cable driven one, or convert your jeep to use an electronic one.

Watch the placement of your motor mounts, or the upper control arms on your suspension will hit them and you will need a long arm suspension if you cant place the motor mounts in a suitable location.

You can look at my build for other issues. Im not doing the exact same thing as you, but it could help. Its in my signature.

Also http://www.novak-adapt.com/ is a good source for info. I would go through advance for adapters though if you need them. I have heard bad things about novaks customer service, but I have never gone through them. I do know that advance is awesome though.

Any direct questions feel free to ask, or send a PM

Edit - Also feel free to post a video of you blowing the 35 when you get this thing done. Im sure everyone would love to see that.

My LS2 Wrangler build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wheelers for the wounded Great cause, check it out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.
- Thomas Jefferson
post #5 of 66 Old 06-12-2008, 05:50 PM
chainbrain2002
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
yea curlee has the right idea, he just dropped an ls2 into his beast, i think its about done now, tho i havent checked. but anyway the mounts definatlly need attention also talk to curlee's friend about his ls1 swap the guy is totally helping me out gettin my head full of knowledge already. i just have to start. guess i shoudl buy it first. lol. best of luck man.

P.S. dont make curlees mistake and get a manual. he's regretting it now. lol. later.

jay
post #6 of 66 Old 06-12-2008, 05:55 PM
TXjeepTJ

the rreal question here is... is it the 5.7L hemi or the 6.1L HEMI

LS1 powered TJ

C6 Z06 Corvette
post #7 of 66 Old 06-17-2008, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
LeBeteNoire

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ View Post
the rreal question here is... is it the 5.7L hemi or the 6.1L HEMI
Ah.. it would be the 5.7L Hemi.

Crazy work schedule at the moment is keeping me away from this project.
post #8 of 66 Old 06-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Road_Warrior85
2005 TJ Wrangler 

yeah i just finished gettin the 5.7 hemi dropped into my rubicon..... any questions you got, shoot 'em at me and I may can help.

[img=http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/6489/dsc0014cj0.jpg]
[img=http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/6489/dsc0014cj0.f209fcafbd.jpg]

Edit: I tried everything and guesss i am just too dumb to figure pics out... oh well, the link still works.
post #9 of 66 Old 06-18-2008, 06:20 PM
aNJidiot
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Its not your fault the links don't work, I am almost positive you need 50 posts before your pictures show up.
post #10 of 66 Old 06-18-2008, 06:57 PM
neverbackdown

hey good luck man cant wait to see some pictures
post #11 of 66 Old 06-18-2008, 07:17 PM
4lo2.5

I'm in ottawa as well if you ever need another jeeper wrenching with ya
post #12 of 66 Old 06-18-2008, 07:33 PM
Road_Warrior85
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNJidiot View Post
Its not your fault the links don't work, I am almost positive you need 50 posts before your pictures show up.
Yeah, I forgot about that.... and really thought I already had that many... guess not... hmmm oh well.

Yes, I have a few pics of my jeep with a Hemi in it... If anybody is interested I can share... but for another week or two, I may not be able to post them on here I guess.
post #13 of 66 Old 06-19-2008, 06:46 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post
yeah i just finished gettin the 5.7 hemi dropped into my rubicon..... any questions you got, shoot 'em at me and I may can help.

Edit: I tried everything and guesss i am just too dumb to figure pics out... oh well, the link still works.
If you post the links to your pics using the image tags, someone else will usually come along and make them click free for you like I just did.

Nice TJ!
post #14 of 66 Old 06-19-2008, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
LeBeteNoire

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlee View Post
Does that hemi come with an electronic throttle body? You will either have to get a new cable driven one, or convert your jeep to use an electronic one.

Watch the placement of your motor mounts, or the upper control arms on your suspension will hit them and you will need a long arm suspension if you cant place the motor mounts in a suitable location.
Thanx, I have been following your build. Yes mine is an electronic throttle, luckily I have the gas pedal that came with the engine and the wiring harness modifications will plug that into the computer. I will watch the motor mounts although I have not as yet finalized which ones to use.

I'll be sure to have the video camera running the first time I stomp on the pedal ..
post #15 of 66 Old 06-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Road_Warrior85
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
If you post the links to your pics using the image tags, someone else will usually come along and make them click free for you like I just did.

Nice TJ!
Awesome.... Thanks for the help on that one.

Yeah, another thing, here is the link to another Hemi build from a good while back. I found it and it helped me decide to build my jeep up.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=343741

I dont know if it is just the Hemi computer or if something is wrong with my jeep, but..... For some reason, I cant rev mine up in Park or Neutral. I wanted to show off the exhaust for a friend and it wouldnt work. The tach climbed up to about 2800RPM and the exhaust just went quiet.... The needle would keep climbing up until redline, but the motor only made a humming sounding, probably not any louder than at idle. It will rev just fine in gear, but not in park or neutral.... I dont know if this is a safety feature in the computer or what the deal. I know I have seen many Hemi trucks on Youtube showing off their exhaust.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in