JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Help w/ my AC (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/help-w-my-ac-4431727/)

davetron 04-30-2021 05:35 PM

Help w/ my AC

So I have searched the net and on this forum and I found a few things it could be but I wanted to ask on here if we could narrow it down (if possible) so I am not replacing every part.

Problem: So my AC blows cold but nothing comes through on 1-3 except on the floor vents and then when I turn it to 4 it blows through the normal dash but at a low push.

I have been told to replace the Blower Control Switch panel part SW2348 https://www.autozone.com/cooling-hea...348/362052_0_0

I have also been told to replace the resistor https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...6d7447b28e2c60

And... I have been told to check the vacuum lines, which I have and I do not see any cracks on it.

I wanted to ask here to see if any of you have had the similar issue and to see what you did to fix it.

Thx in advance!

davetron 04-30-2021 08:50 PM

so i guess its been a while since i've used my AC. It doesn't do anything until i put it on 4 and then it blows a ton out of the floor vents and barely from the dash vents.

mukluk 05-01-2021 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davetron (Post 41261353)
so i guess its been a while since i've used my AC. It doesn't do anything until i put it on 4 and then it blows a ton out of the floor vents and barely from the dash vents.

There's a 99% chance the cause of your fan only working on setting 4 is the blower motor resistor is bad. The blower motor gets power via its relay when the ignition is switched on, the fan is then controlled via its ground leg passing through the resistor block and HVAC panel for speeds 1-3 or just the HVAC panel for speed 4. If you have an ohmmeter you can easily test the resistor block to see if you have continuity when checking from 4 to each of the other three pins -- the most common failure will show no continuity between pin 4 and pin 3.

As for the air only blowing out of the floor vents, that could be caused by either a bad panel door actuator, broken panel door link arm, blockage inside the HVAC box, or incorrect vacuum harness connections. The best way forward would be to inspect the actuators and link arms to see if anything is broken and if things are moving in response to turning the HVAC panel mode switch.

jtec 05-01-2021 04:00 AM

:agree: start by checking the blower resistor, I suspect 1,2,3 will have no resistance (open) and as mentioned 4 bypasses the resistors as HIGH has no resistor.
Do you need a wiring diagram?

davetron 05-02-2021 12:20 AM

I’ll replace the resistor since it’s the cheapest fix and then I’ll check back with everyone. Thank you.

davetron 05-06-2021 04:40 PM

UPDATE! OK, i changed out the resistor and BAM 1,2,3 and 4 all work...

NEW PROBLEM... haha, well still the same. So now the air blows on all settings so that worked, BUT when i turn the dial 1-4 all settings come through the floor and dash vents no matter what option I choose. What should I be looking into next to fix this problem.

Thank you.

BlueFl.Wrangler 05-06-2021 05:38 PM

broken actuator arm or a vacuum issue

mukluk 05-07-2021 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mukluk (Post 41261459)
As for the air only blowing out of the floor vents, that could be caused by either a bad panel door actuator, broken panel door link arm, blockage inside the HVAC box, or incorrect vacuum harness connections. The best way forward would be to inspect the actuators and link arms to see if anything is broken and if things are moving in response to turning the HVAC panel mode switch.

davetron 05-07-2021 06:06 PM

ordered some things for the vacuum issue, im gonna diagnose that part first.

BlueFl.Wrangler 05-09-2021 08:38 AM

I am thinking (could be wrong though )- looking to see if its a broken actuator arm is really fast and easy- its just a quick look & see, should be real obvious

TheBoogieman 05-09-2021 09:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:cool:

davetron 05-09-2021 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoogieman (Post 41267231)
:cool:

What exactly is that part boogie?

TheBoogieman 05-10-2021 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davetron (Post 41267653)
What exactly is that part boogie?

The selector knob. They crack from behind and stop things from working properly.

2jhanna 05-10-2021 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoogieman (Post 41267713)
The selector knob. They crack from behind and stop things from working properly.

Mine was cracked too, some super glue and a small zip tie around it has kept it working.

TheBoogieman 05-10-2021 08:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2jhanna (Post 41267781)
Mine was cracked too, some super glue and a small zip tie around it has kept it working.

I did the same thing and it broke again. $6 Dorman part at Autozone or Advance Auto.

The time now is 06:21 AM.