Help with a seized AC compressor pulley - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 11-10-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Jacobslagle018
2015 JK Wrangler 

Help with a seized AC compressor pulley

Hey everyone. I have a stock 97 4.0 auto that is giving me a little trouble. I went to start it this morning and the engine fired right up, but my serpentine belt did no spin making the loudest belt squealing I have ever heard. I took the serpentine belt off, and all of the pulleys except for the AC compressor pulley would spin freely. There is a bunch of red/brown dust on the AC compressor, and the pulley would spin at all. I'm pretty sure the bearing is bad, but what do I have to do to remove the clutch, pulley, and bearing? Are any special tools required? I took the nut off over the clutch, but it doesn't want to come off of it's mount. Any guidance here is appreciated. Local auto store has a bearing in stock, I just need help getting to the thing. Thanks again for the help, or if there are any other suggestions throw them my way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-10-2017, 07:04 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The FSM shows a few different special tools used to remove the clutch and pulley. Basically it says to remove the nut, remove the clutch plate with a puller, remove a C clip, then remove the pulley with another puller... it doesn't detail what is required to replace the bearing though. An interim solution until you can deal with the offending AC compressor would be to install a serpentine for the "without AC" option, doing so will allow you to drive the Jeep.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 16 Old 11-10-2017, 09:32 PM
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The bearing will be held in the pulley by a snap ring or by staking.

'92 Islander
'06 Rubicon

post #4 of 16 Old 11-10-2017, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Jacobslagle018
2015 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies so far. I just hope this is the actual fix. If the pulley won't turn at all with the belt off, is that a bearing issue or is the compressor locked up? It isn't drivable in it's current state so fixing it at home would be the best option. Can I buy a belt that will bypass the compressor that way I can at least drive it?
post #5 of 16 Old 11-11-2017, 06:01 AM
hokahay

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobslagle018 View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. I just hope this is the actual fix. If the pulley won't turn at all with the belt off, is that a bearing issue or is the compressor locked up? It isn't drivable in it's current state so fixing it at home would be the best option. Can I buy a belt that will bypass the compressor that way I can at least drive it?
While you are considering the solution, I think you could buy a serpentine belt for no A/C and like Jed Clampett sez "Drive on, Boy!", if driving it is required or you like live up in the great white north.

post #6 of 16 Old 11-11-2017, 06:21 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like a quick check of rock auto show a 79" belt woac and 95" wac. I'd go to local parts store and give it a try.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #7 of 16 Old 11-11-2017, 01:30 PM
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobslagle018 View Post
What compressor do you have?

If yours is like my YJs, the pulley and it's bearing run all the time, AC on or AC off. And, if the pulley won't turn it's the bearing.

If you can turn the clutch rotor the compressor is not locked up.

'92 Islander
'06 Rubicon
post #8 of 16 Old 11-11-2017, 05:14 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Like said above, if you can rotate the center spindle, or rotor, the compressor is ok. But, even if you can't, don't sweat it until you remove the entire clutch assy.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #9 of 16 Old 11-11-2017, 07:49 PM
TJ4Jim
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Bottom line is if the AC pulley is not spinning then the compressor is most likely locked up, if the clutch bearing was locked up then the AC compressor would engage by default.

If you come to a fork in the road take it.
post #10 of 16 Old 11-11-2017, 07:57 PM
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ4Jim View Post
Bottom line is if the AC pulley is not spinning then the compressor is most likely locked up, if the clutch bearing was locked up then the AC compressor would engage by default.
This is incorrect for a Sanden compressor. The pulley bearing mounts on the compressor case, not the compressor shaft.

'92 Islander
'06 Rubicon
post #11 of 16 Old 11-11-2017, 10:19 PM
TJ4Jim
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp View Post
This is incorrect for a Sanden compressor. The pulley bearing mounts on the compressor case, not the compressor shaft.
Pretty sure they used Denso up to 99' my 99' is a Denso

If you come to a fork in the road take it.
post #12 of 16 Old 11-12-2017, 06:10 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Don't know if I've ever worked on a Sanden or not, but every one I've ever work on, the coil/bearing/pulley was a seperate unit then the rotor.

Like jkp stated. The bearing could/would seize, but the rotor and compressor shaft could/would rotate.

The OP has yet to confirm either way is the rotor turns.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #13 of 16 Old 11-12-2017, 06:26 AM
ej's tj

2005 LJ Wrangler 

On my 05 LJ it was way less work and cheaper to just replace the entire compressor. The pulley/clutch was not available.... at least not that I could find. I ran mine with a serpentine for a jeep without AC for about a month until I found a compressor on line from eBay.........

2005 Unlimited Rubicon bright red, wet okole, 2 1/2" (more like 3"+) HD OME 1 1/4" JKS BL, JKS Discos, 1" JKS MML,28575R16 BFG MTs, Custom HD rear bumper, 2 year old Akita,
9500 lb. milemarker winch, kilby gas tank skid, home made rear bumper and tire carrier, lite dot taillights, more to come!!!!!!

Integrity is a rare find!
post #14 of 16 Old 11-12-2017, 08:36 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

^i just hate opening up the sealed system unless it's really necessary.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #15 of 16 Old 05-12-2021, 03:23 AM
Jacob2222222

The compressor is likely locked up.

if the compressor ( I bought mine from OKmarts, still work great) is used separately, the AC compressor lock-up will not affect the driving. However, if the compressor and other components (battery lamp) share the belt, it will affect safety.

Iíll suggest you change to a new compressor. And it's better to find an auto repair shop to replace it for you.

Make sure they have a deep clean to the whole system as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in