help savvy aluminum control arm length - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-15-2015, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
MyToyWifesJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

help savvy aluminum control arm length

I have a 98 tj with about 4.5" of suspension lift, f8.8 and sye kit with stock control arms. I want to buy the full control arm savvy kit.

Can anyone tell me the full adjustable length, from hole to hole shortest length and longest length?

and will i notice a difference in my ride?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-16-2015, 02:59 AM
RDaniel2405

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Why don't you call them and ask.

OEF Veteran & owner of a 2006 TJ

Instagram @theorangejeep
Pirate 4x4 @theorangejeep
post #3 of 14 Old 10-16-2015, 04:23 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Unless you can find someone who hasn't yet installed them, the only length you are going to get is what someone has them currently set at. What is your concern? They will work fine with your setup.

post #4 of 14 Old 10-16-2015, 05:25 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyWifesJeep View Post
Can anyone tell me the full adjustable length, from hole to hole shortest length and longest length?
someone can tell you what lengths they used on their rig, but they can't tell you what you need to use on your rig. You need to figure that out for yourself by setting up your suspension properly.

Quote:
and will i notice a difference in my ride?
yes, you will.

Useful Write-Ups:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #5 of 14 Old 10-16-2015, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
MyToyWifesJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Unless you can find someone who hasn't yet installed them, the only length you are going to get is what someone has them currently set at. What is your concern? They will work fine with your setup.
Biggest concern is will they work if I want to go bigger? And I would like to move my re end back about a 1". Would I be able to do that with all the arms being adjustable?
post #6 of 14 Old 10-16-2015, 06:44 AM
Denzien

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Biggest concern is will they work if I want to go bigger? And I would like to move my re end back about a 1". Would I be able to do that with all the arms being adjustable?
With adjustable upper and lower arms, I can't see why not. Do you currently have stock control arms?

2006 LJ
2013 MINI Cooper S Convertible, Highgate Edition
2014 Honda Odyssey Touring
post #7 of 14 Old 10-16-2015, 06:56 AM
Melissas6570
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well I am not sure why you want to go bigger, but as a personal preference, I would not go over 4 inches of lift on the suspension side. I would add a 1 inch body lift if I wanted to go up more. As far as moving the rear back an inch, it depends on your jeep. Install the arms, remove the springs and cycle the suspension. If it hits something adjust and do it over. You have stock arms now, I believe, so set the new ones up to that length to start. You should be able to get away with the front lowers at 16 inches to start with and adjust from that point based on cycling your suspension. When you do this remove the factory foam bump stops because they will fully compress and look at it at full bump. Make adjustments from that point based on what hits first. Remember there is no magic number for setting the arm length, just remove one arm at a time and replace with the new arm. place a bolt in one end and float the other end over until you can install the bolt with your fingers. Do this with the weight on the jeep. After that raise the jeep pull the springs and cycle the suspension. Make the adjustments as needed.

I DO IT WITH MY TOP OFF!
post #8 of 14 Old 10-16-2015, 11:14 AM
keyster

The lowers are 15 5/8"
Uppers 12 5/8"
Center to center collapsed.
The instructions say 3/4" exposed thread maximum, so add 1.5" for max length.

The instructions give the usual lengths as 15.75" and 13.5".

I can't tell you anything about the ride yet.
I am in the middle of Rubifying my poor old Sport.
It's a Jeep thing.

Last edited by keyster; 10-16-2015 at 11:32 AM.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-16-2015, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
MyToyWifesJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denzien View Post
Quote:
Yes

With adjustable upper and lower arms, I can't see why not. Do you currently have stock control arms?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissas6570 View Post
Well I am not sure why you want to go bigger, but as a personal preference, I would not go over 4 inches of lift on the suspension side. I would add a 1 inch body lift if I wanted to go up more. As far as moving the rear back an inch, it depends on your jeep. Install the arms, remove the springs and cycle the suspension. If it hits something adjust and do it over. You have stock arms now, I believe, so set the new ones up to that length to start. You should be able to get away with the front lowers at 16 inches to start with and adjust from that point based on cycling your suspension. When you do this remove the factory foam bump stops because they will fully compress and look at it at full bump. Make adjustments from that point based on what hits first. Remember there is no magic number for setting the arm length, just remove one arm at a time and replace with the new arm. place a bolt in one end and float the other end over until you can install the bolt with your fingers. Do this with the weight on the jeep. After that raise the jeep pull the springs and cycle the suspension. Make the adjustments as needed.
Thanks and I will try this I should have my control arms in 2 to 3 weeks

I won't go any taller I just want to put new front coils on it and bilstein 5100s on it also metal cloak fenders
post #10 of 14 Old 10-16-2015, 11:58 AM
crkid
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The lowers go down to about 15.5". Not sure how far they are at full extension. I would say up to 16.5". Not sure about the uppers.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-16-2015, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
MyToyWifesJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkid View Post
The lowers go down to about 15.5". Not sure how far they are at full extension. I would say up to 16.5". Not sure about the uppers.
thanks this is what im curious about
post #12 of 14 Old 10-16-2015, 03:14 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

If you do it right you may actually end up pulling your axle slightly forward at ride height. Don't sweat an inch or two either way. Will not make a measurable difference in performance.

As far as how big can you go, my rear driveshaft sees the equivalent of 8-9" of lift and had no trouble dialing in pinion with a combination of Savvy and Currie arms.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-16-2015, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
MyToyWifesJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
If you do it right you may actually end up pulling your axle slightly forward at ride height. Don't sweat an inch or two either way. Will not make a measurable difference in performance.

As far as how big can you go, my rear driveshaft sees the equivalent of 8-9" of lift and had no trouble dialing in pinion with a combination of Savvy and Currie arms.
Thanks and i figured i would be good with my teraflex sye and cv shaft
post #14 of 14 Old 10-16-2015, 04:15 PM
TJDaveX

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

....and will i notice a difference in my ride?
I noticed a huge difference. But, I went cheap on my first set of adjustable control arms. "Flex Joint" on one end, rubber bushing on the other.
The Flex Joints needed constant attention, and I rebuilt them with the "new" delron upgrade kit. Then, the rubber bushings on the other ends started disintegrating. They always squeaked and creaked. Clunking and throttle activated lane changes started when the rubber ends wore out.

I replaced all 8 with Savvy aluminum double adjustable arms about 8 months ago along with Currie's front axle upper mount JJ conversion kit. The Jeep rides like it's on rails now. Quiet and solid feeling.

Should of ponied up and bought these the first time. Live and learn.

Tags
control arms , johnny joints , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in