Help with putting front differential carrier back in? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By greenmachine99

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 05-10-2021, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Wishmaster22
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Help with putting front differential carrier back in?

I am in the process of replacing front axle seals and am ready to put the carrier back in. I will attach 2 pics one before and one after. The question I have is before I took the carrier out there was no silver area showing on the left carrier bearing and after reassembly there is some silver area showing on the left carrier bearing. I torqued the bolts at 45 ft lbs. Do you think that silver showing now is a problem or can I fill and seal the differential?

Thanks for any help. 🙂

Attached Thumbnails
20210510_092425_1620660720682.jpg   20210510_092358_1620660774795.jpg  

bridgerguide.com guide to Montana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-10-2021, 10:04 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
well by the pics one might say there most be something wrong. what ever spacer packs were put back where they came and those caps are not reversed if possible. how much pre load on the dif? if the race was that off should be some serious slop. But its a pic so and should have went back as it was.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-10-2021, 10:04 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Did you replace the shims on the same sides that they came out of and replace the bearing caps on their original sides with the same orientation they were in originally?? Both of those are critical.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

post #4 of 14 Old 05-10-2021, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Wishmaster22
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Jerry yes In these pics you can see the letter y is stamped on both bearing caps . The before pics and the after pic they are in the same place and on the same side. The bearing races (??? What covers the bearings under the caps are on the original sides. The only thing different is I had to cut the left over axle tube sealant let over from the factory off)

Not sure what to do.😔
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Did you replace the shims on the same sides that they came out of and replace the bearing caps on their original sides with the same orientation they were in originally?? Both of those are critical.

post #5 of 14 Old 05-10-2021, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Wishmaster22
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I think I beat the new inner axle seals in far enough, but if for some reason I didn't; could that cause this?

When I took the carrier assembly out I loosened all 4 carrier bolts and just had to pry a little to get it loose. Then I took the bolts off and slide it out and put it in a box. They only have the bearing covers on each bearing, didn't see any shims.

I didn't beat it back in.

post #6 of 14 Old 05-10-2021, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Wishmaster22
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Also I slid the passenger side axle in and when I turn it the gears turn and the driveshaft turns.

post #7 of 14 Old 05-10-2021, 11:34 AM
greenmachine99

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaster22 View Post
I think I beat the new inner axle seals in far enough, but if for some reason I didn't; could that cause this?

When I took the carrier assembly out I loosened all 4 carrier bolts and just had to pry a little to get it loose. Then I took the bolts off and slide it out and put it in a box. They only have the bearing covers on each bearing, didn't see any shims.

I’m betting your carrier shims are under the bearings too. Which if you didn’t remove them (press/cut them off) it’s in the exact location that it was. Your bearing caps are correct too according to your before picture. Not driving the seals in far enough as you said you possibly did would not change the carrier location. Only the shims, and axle housing itself could change that. I also think you picture is exaggerating how much of the bearing race is showing (the silver part you’re seeing) . The before picture is straight on, the after picture is angled towards it. If you didn’t change any of the above mentioned I’d run it.
Jerry Bransford and 2jhanna like this.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-10-2021, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Wishmaster22
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'll try and get another straight on pic. Only other think is it is cocked in there, but it seems like if it were when I torqued it it would pull it in straight or would it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachine99 View Post
Quote:

I’m betting your carrier shims are under the bearings too. Which if you didn’t remove them (press/cut them off) it’s in the exact location that it was. Your bearing caps are correct too according to your before picture. Not driving the seals in far enough as you said you possibly did would not change the carrier location. Only the shims, and axle housing itself could change that. I also think you picture is exaggerating how much of the bearing race is showing (the silver part you’re seeing) . The before picture is straight on, the after picture is angled towards it. If you didn’t change any of the above mentioned I’d run it.

post #9 of 14 Old 05-10-2021, 01:33 PM
greenmachine99

1999 TJ Wrangler 

If you had to pry it out a little like you said, I doubt there would be enough room for it to go in on a bind.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-11-2021, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Wishmaster22
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here is another pic of when I was taking it out. Here i just took off the bearing caps before i pryed it out. On the left it appears that you can see a line when the cap was and to the left is that the exposed shiny race part that I am seeing now after the cap is on after I put it back in?
Quote:
If you had to pry it out a little like you said, I doubt there would be enough room for it to go in on a bind.
Attached Thumbnails
20210421_141823_1620752986402.jpg  

post #11 of 14 Old 05-11-2021, 11:21 AM
53flattie

1936 CJ2A 

I think itís fine / the same as it was before, as evidenced by the ďunwornĒ part on the bearing race.

Like Jerry said - I think itís just the perspective of the Ďafterí photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12 of 14 Old 05-11-2021, 11:39 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Iím betting your carrier shims are under the bearings too. Which if you didnít remove them (press/cut them off) itís in the exact location that it was. .
I also had my front diff apart a few months ago replacing seals. The carrier came in/out with just a little effort and there were no loose shims to worry with.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #13 of 14 Old 05-11-2021, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Wishmaster22
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So if I call this good and put it back together, if something was wrong what symptoms should I look for? Thanks

post #14 of 14 Old 05-11-2021, 04:44 PM
greenmachine99

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So if I call this good and put it back together, if something was wrong what symptoms should I look for? Thanks
You could double check it by checking your back lash with a dial indicator. I truly don’t think you changed anything though so I’d run it. If something isn’t right it will probably be noisey/droney sounding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in