Help with part number - hardtop wire harness - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rubi4MyMrs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-16-2021, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
rcroane
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Help with part number - hardtop wire harness

Can someone tell me the correct part number for the hardtop wiring harness for an '06 automatic TJ 4.OL? I've looked at the parts manual, but can't seem to figure out which harness is the correct one. I need the front harness, the one that connects to the O/D switch, wiper switch and defroster switch.

And, yes, I know these are very difficult to find, but I'd at least like to make sure I have the part number correct.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-16-2021, 03:57 PM
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The factory kit containing the complete harness “overlay” along with the switches, fuses, relay, washer bottle & a pump has been discontinued as have the other 2 for the earlier yrs. Here is the part # 82208907AB. Besides the dealers Quadratec sold the MOPAR kits & maybe some other places. I know Quadretec also shows them as discontinued or no longer available.

Too bad, they seemed to be in demand.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-16-2021, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
rcroane
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
The factory kit containing the complete harness “overlay” along with the switches, fuses, relay, washer bottle & a pump has been discontinued as have the other 2 for the earlier yrs. Here is the part # 82208907AB. Besides the dealers Quadratec sold the MOPAR kits & maybe some other places. I know Quadretec also shows them as discontinued or no longer available.

Too bad, they seemed to be in demand.
Thanks for the reply. I had that part number for the complete kit.....I'm hoping someone can tell me the part number for just the harness. The harness that would have been in a TJ that was hardtop wired from the factory.

post #4 of 14 Old 09-16-2021, 05:41 PM
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looking at the parts manual. I think it will be on the Body & Accessory page & would need the complete harness, item #1. That is a mess to figure out.

I think the hardtop equipped models are VKO. The LJ is body 78. I think some of the other codes are which radio & if it has anti lock brakes, etc.

I’m betting every one of those listings are probably discontinued.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-16-2021, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
rcroane
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Looking at the parts manual. I think it will be on the Body & Accessory page & would need the complete harness, item #1. That is a mess to figure out.

I think the hardtop equipped models are VKO. The LJ is body 78. I think some of the other codes are which radio & if it has anti lock brakes, etc.

I’m betting every one of those listings are probably discontinued.
Thanks, this helps. Not trying to find a new one....trying to find a used one and knowing the part number will help make sure I'm getting the correct harness. Sure wish one of those kits would fall from the sky into my lap!
post #6 of 14 Old 09-16-2021, 07:30 PM
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Why are you looking for just the part that has the switches?
post #7 of 14 Old 09-16-2021, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
rcroane
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My understanding is that harness is what runs to the rear and connects up with the harness for the wiper and defroster. My hardtop has the wiring in the rear.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-16-2021, 07:52 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You can try daveysjeeps.com

They part out jeeos, maybe call them and explain what you need.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #9 of 14 Old 09-16-2021, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
rcroane
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks...tried them and a couple others....no luck.

I think this is what I'm looking for, but my wallet has limits. I don't need the wiper and defroster THAT bad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284189695151
post #10 of 14 Old 09-17-2021, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
rcroane
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Update....I think I'm going to take a stab at making my own overlay harness. I found a couple of threads on this (one that you contributed to) and if I can track down all the parts, I think it is something I can handle.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-17-2021, 12:01 PM
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I would think building an overlay harness like was in the kits is the way to go. The necessary wiring for the production installed hardtops is integrated into the rest of the harness so short of an entire body harness replacement even if still available there are not any practical options. Other than the one I have often recommended which is not to bother. I have the kit I installed in 2009 & have never used either the wiper or defrost. I can say the same for my 4Runner which also has both. Of course being in the desert southwest may have something to do with it.

If you decide to build one the actual wiring is not too difficult & the engine side needed is mostly already there which is the defrost wiring to the PDC for that fuse & relay. If you skip using the cluster timer (either no timer or add an external one) that will help too. I’m willing to assist any way I can.
rcroane likes this.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-17-2021, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
rcroane
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I would think building an overlay harness like was in the kits is the way to go. The necessary wiring for the production installed hardtops is integrated into the rest of the harness so short of an entire body harness replacement even if still available there are not any practical options. Other than the one I have often recommended which is not to bother. I have the kit I installed in 2009 & have never used either the wiper or defrost. I can say the same for my 4Runner which also has both. Of course being in the desert southwest may have something to do with it.

If you decide to build one the actual wiring is not too difficult & the engine side needed is mostly already there which is the defrost wiring to the PDC for that fuse & relay. If you skip using the cluster timer (either no timer or add an external one) that will help too. I’m willing to assist any way I can.
The "not to bother" option is still on the list. But, one thing I was wondering is that IF I could get an entire body harness (used) at a decent price (note the big IF), could I take it apart essentially have the overlay harness I need?
post #13 of 14 Old 09-17-2021, 05:06 PM
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

It is not that easy. As I said the HT wiring is integrated into the body harness. That means the various wires go through the harness wrapping & the various connectors. Each would have to be separated from the wrapped harness & some terminals be extracted on both sides of their connector(s) & mated together as needed. That would involve most of the wiper wiring like from the fuse block, switch & for the washer pump as well as the defrost switch & cluster timer. Maybe others I may have missed, this is from memory. If you D/L the instructions that would give you a decent start on that & parts to find. Getting connectors for the switches might be tough but not absolutely necessary, I suppose.

I do remember one member who found a “left over” kit but not the one for his year. He did the necessary mods but could not find the correct size of the 2 cluster terminals which had changed between the 2 years. As I recall he ended up using a remote timer(relay) to get around that. He had it all diagrammed out with the changes needed. It was a challenge but he was successful. I wonder after all of that if he ever has used either the wiper or defrost…
post #14 of 14 Old 09-17-2021, 05:18 PM
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I was just looking through my “files” & found this which might be helpful. I do not even remember ever reading through it.

Wiring for HT using a used harness from HT model

https://***************.com/threads/...harness.15350/

https://***************.com/threads/...harness.15553/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in