1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rubi4MyMrs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-04-2019, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Glock45

Help needed with diagnostic code?

Hi Everyone!

Need some help from you guys.

My jeep once it reaches around 40-mph it starts to loose acceleration power, as if it was starving for gas. I connected my computer and it gave me a couple of codes, P-0344 (Camshaft Position Sensor) & P-0016 (Crankshaft Position Sensor).

So my question to you guys is the following.

If I change the "Crankshaft Position Sensor, code-0016, will it automatically take care of code P-0344 camshaft Position Sensor, or is it the other way around??

Thanks in advance for your help in this matter"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-04-2019, 08:20 AM
WeezyBlue
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Double post

82 Wagoneer Limited WIP
87 MJ work truck
05 TJ SC'd Rubicon daily
06 TJ SE sold
post #3 of 10 Old 12-04-2019, 08:22 AM
WeezyBlue
2005 TJ Wrangler 

What year is it?
On my '05 P0016 is "Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation"
and P0344 is "Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent"

My guess would be they're stemming from the same place, either the camshaft position sensor on the OPDA or the clocking of the OPDA itself if you're recently removed it, although in my experience if it's off far enough to effect running you'll get a flashing MIL. Hopefully it's not an 05-06 with a self destructing OPDA.

A faulty camshaft position sensor would explain both codes, the way it's written in my tuner, anyway. It's getting an intermittent signal from the camshaft position sensor on the OPDA that's causing a mismatch with what the crankshaft position sensor is reading at the flywheel, and probably pulling timing to be safe, hence the loss of power. That's my best guess.

82 Wagoneer Limited WIP
87 MJ work truck
05 TJ SC'd Rubicon daily
06 TJ SE sold

post #4 of 10 Old 12-04-2019, 11:40 AM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you have ’05 or ’06 which I’m betting you do, & have recently replaced the OPDA you probably have a bad sensor that came with the OPDA, a known issue. If all true so far hopefully you still have the original sensor. If so put that one into the new OPDA. All replacement sensors including the ones from dealers are known to cause P0344 as well as P0340 codes. Then if you still get the P0016 but not the P0344 you need to recheck the alignment holes when exactly on TDC. It is very easy to get it set a few degrees off & get the P0016 code.

It feels like it is starving for gas but either of those codes will sent it into limp mode which limits the engine RPM & when you hit that point it will start killing cylinders it keep it from revving higher.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-04-2019, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Glock45

Thanks guys for your replies.

I still have a doubtful question.

The engine hesitation I described only happened to me once since it happened a couple of days ago and to date, the motor is running okay, even though the check engine light is still on.

So my confusion still is, if the engine hesitation was caused by either sensor(P0340 or P0016) being bad, wouldn't the problem be consistent or is it possible to be an on and off basis, meaning to go away and come back on at any given time???
post #6 of 10 Old 12-04-2019, 08:52 PM
AjRagno

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock45 View Post
Thanks guys for your replies.

I still have a doubtful question.

The engine hesitation I described only happened to me once since it happened a couple of days ago and to date, the motor is running okay, even though the check engine light is still on.

So my confusion still is, if the engine hesitation was caused by either sensor(P0340 or P0016) being bad, wouldn't the problem be consistent or is it possible to be an on and off basis, meaning to go away and come back on at any given time???
It's important to know if this is an '05-06 TJ. Changes occurred in 2005 that will affect an accurate diagnosis. In these years, yes this can be an intermittent issue but going into further detail would only be helpful for these 2 model years.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-06-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Glock45

Sorry my bad, my jeep is a 2006.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-07-2019, 12:08 AM
AjRagno

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock45 View Post
Sorry my bad, my jeep is a 2006.
Thanks. Have you replaced the OPDA and CPS, or is it possible a previous owner may have? I bring this up because P0016 and P0344 are most often the result of using any CPS other than one originally installed at the factory. You're getting these codes because the CPS signal does not correlate with the signal the computer is receiving from the CKP and this is putting your Jeep into limp mode.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-07-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Glock45

I did re[lace the OPDA about 6 months ago with an aftermarket one, NOT the original one from Mopar, it was done by the dealer. The original one the jeep, suffered the physical worn out damage to the shaft teeth due to a design flaw. The jeep only has 50,000 miles on it and it was working just fine when I picked it up from the dealer when they installed the original OPDA until it bugged out while I was driven on the highway doing around 40-mph, but when I let go of the accelerator and pressed on it again slowly, then the jeep would go past the 40-mph mark, slowly but shortly, it happened twice and it hasn't happened again to date.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-07-2019, 12:28 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If the dealer replaced the OPDA & synced it properly & it was good for 6 months as you say but now are getting the P0016 I would pull (or have that dealer) the OPDA & check it. That code is telling you the cam sensor is out of sync with the crank sensor. Once it has been properly synced & assuming the hold down bolt is tight & the OPDA has not turned, the only reason to get that code is if there is excessive wear causing the sensor to be retarded relative to the crank. Normally only a worn timing chain or cam/OPDA gear wear will cause this. Very unlikely it is the timing chain, they are known to last well past a hundred thousand miles. On the other hand the OPDA gear is a known issue & some have had bushing wear issues, even a few Crown/Dorman OPDAs, although not as bad as the OEMs.

If there happens to be excessive bushing wear, that could be causing the P0340/P0344 codes too.

To me, it would be worth checking. I would not continue to drive it if getting any of these codes without checking for the cause even if it is mostly running well (now).
NashvilleTJ likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in