HELP metal popping sound while turning left or right only when accelerating - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-15-2009, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
delpster05
2002 TJ Wrangler 

HELP metal popping sound while turning left or right only when accelerating

i have a 02 tj sport with 44re and have this popping sound comes from the rear and i can feel the rearend shift when it pops and hear metal grinding when it pops. i have the rough country 6in lift with a sye and cv just got put in a couple months ago and im running 33x12.50 still. the rear track bar that is the stock one with the rough country bracket is leaving marks on gas tank skid plate but its not loose at all i cant even move it with a pry bar when i try. i know i have the wrong bolt in the track bar mount to the rearend but i don't think it would cause it to twist in the bushing. but anyways yesterday just going down the highway my jeep starts viberating when i was doing 60mph and i could barely control it going from right to left so much in the rear. i checked everything out and it looked the same as before so i rolled away slowly and no vibes until i hit 50mph and i kept pulling over cause the vibes wouldn't stop until i slowed down to 10mph and then i kept repeating this till i got home and everything is still tight so i trying to find out if anyone else has this problem and i have a rear adjustable track bar and new bracket on order still hasn't came yet im in hawaii

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-15-2009, 08:52 AM
nptt13
2004 TJ Wrangler 

DOOD I had the same problem... I thought it was suspension or traction related... ITS NOT ... Pop open your rear differential cover, then check your Spider gears for broken teeeth. If you dont see any, check the bottom of the inside of your case and you may find some teeth, hurry and do this before anymore break. Im doing it now as we speak. Not expensive fix at all. If you want to see what it looks like, do a search on youtube and youll find nice vids on people pulling tons of broken teeth outta the differential.

John

Got Milk?
post #3 of 10 Old 11-15-2009, 11:10 AM
dogbluedrummer
Trust me....

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Could be the limited slip. Chang your diff fluids. Be sure to add the friction modifier.

Patriot Blue 2001 TJ
Everything I need to fix on the heep: ABS indicator, speed 4 on the blower fan, torn softop over driver's head, both seat release/tilt cables, missing center cap on spare, broken under hood light, wire up the CB, wiring problem with the reverse lights, broken bottle jack, leaky front and rear pinion seals, loose trackbar relocation bracket, torn drivers seat on the side, broken center console lock, lost nuts for door hinges, squeaking centering ball, loose parking brake cable, oil change and rotate the tires.
My build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-15-2009, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
delpster05
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i tightend the trac bar down and it tightend some so i took for a test drive and it was fine with no vibes but after 20 min it started to pop again around turns so it cant be the teeth can it or limited slip but im gonna pull the diff cover tom but until then i gotta run it but what kind of fluid should i get or friction modifier? and i just changed the fluid out before i did the lift a couple of months ago
post #5 of 10 Old 11-16-2009, 07:44 AM
nptt13
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Most synthetic gear oils like Valvoline make already have it mixed in. Just go to Pep Boys or any local parts store and you should be able to pick it up for 3 - 6 bucks

Got Milk?
post #6 of 10 Old 11-16-2009, 07:53 AM
chutta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You have to do periodic inspections of the pig, not only to change out oil, but to avoid carrier breaks by "nipping it in the bud" so to speak checking on the spiders. Don't ask

05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
post #7 of 10 Old 11-22-2009, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
delpster05
2002 TJ Wrangler 

yea i got missing teeth in my gears the dealership said i have a 44 in the rear and a 30 in the front could that be right? and 3.73 gears but now i need gears so i found some 4.10 to hold me over until the 4.88 get ordered and just regear now the price was right for the 4.10
post #8 of 10 Old 11-22-2009, 03:58 AM
dynastynut
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yes they are right, dana 44 in the rear, and a dana 30 up front
post #9 of 10 Old 11-22-2009, 07:02 AM
nptt13
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by delpster05 View Post
yea i got missing teeth in my gears the dealership said i have a 44 in the rear and a 30 in the front could that be right? and 3.73 gears but now i need gears so i found some 4.10 to hold me over until the 4.88 get ordered and just regear now the price was right for the 4.10
I went through the same thing. What was kewl about Jeep TJs is they had a 7/70 warrantee on the transmition which includes the differential. Look into it. It could save you a few hundred dollars. All mine cost was 100 dollars and the dealership let me drive a loaner car in the mean time no extra charge.

Got Milk?
post #10 of 10 Old 11-22-2009, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
delpster05
2002 TJ Wrangler 

its just time to upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in