Help: Hazard lights and Turn Signals not working - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 12-05-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
MarlinManStL
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Help: Hazard lights and Turn Signals not working

I replaced the turn signal / fog light switch assembly and flasher relay in my TJ because my fog lights would stay on regardless of switch position. I inherited this problem from the PO who solved it by removing the fog light relay.

After replacing the assembly and relay; my hazard and turn signals no longer work. I have checked the fuse and replaced the flasher relay. I have moved the steering column up and down to see if that matters and it doesn't.

Any ideas on where to go next? Any help is super appreciated.

2003 Rubicon.

I'm too new here to be able to link out to images so hopefully the attachments make it so you can see.

Attached Thumbnails
20191205_160233.jpg   20191205_160259.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 12-05-2019, 07:20 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I would reinstall the old unit and see if you get hazards and turn signals back.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #3 of 30 Old 12-05-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
MarlinManStL
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
I would reinstall the old unit and see if you get hazards and turn signals back.
Yeah, that was the first thing I did. I re-installed the the old unit and it did not work.

post #4 of 30 Old 12-05-2019, 08:55 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

There are 2 fuses. Be sure to check both. Use a meter to check or swap with others to test. Sometimes they blow where it is hard to see.

For your ’03 check fuse 27 in the PDC in front of the battery & fuse 13 in the fuse block behind the glove box.
post #5 of 30 Old 12-06-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
MarlinManStL
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
For your 03 check fuse 27 in the PDC in front of the battery.
That's the bugger right there. Thanks, I didn't know that was there.

So, fuse 27 in the PDC pops as soon as I plug it in or connect the battery. I've plugged it in hot and with the battery disconnected and as soon as the battery is connected it blows.

That means a short somewhere, in my limited understanding.

I tried removing the Fog Lamp Relay in the PDC, since that's what started this whole endeavor in the first place, and that's not it; still blows with or w/out that in the circuit.

Literally the only thing I did was replace the turn signal assembly and flasher relay from the steering column. I mean I lowered the steering column so I could access the wiring harness. PO has installed a loose stereo speaker offset to the left and underneath the steering column which kind of interferes with lowering it but I don't see a short there and it's not resting on a harness or anything (deal with that later, add that to the list).
Attached Thumbnails
20191206_134533.jpg  
post #6 of 30 Old 12-06-2019, 01:08 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Does the fuse blow, both with new and old unit?

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #7 of 30 Old 12-06-2019, 01:10 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The next thing would be to unplug the new signal switch in case that has an internal short.

If the short is still there take a close look at the wiring connector for any sign of excessive heat &/or melting wires. That is not common but I have seen it happen a few times. The wire coming from fuse 24 is black/white & at one corner of the connector. If the fuse still blows with the switch unplugged & assuming nothing has been added to that circuit by a previous owner, the short has to be in that wire.
post #8 of 30 Old 12-06-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
MarlinManStL
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
& assuming nothing has been added to that circuit by a previous owner, the short has to be in that wire.
Is it common for people to tie after market light bars into the fog light switch? Just asking because:

Now that you mention this ... PO has an LED light bar installed but it doesn't work; I assume because they pulled the rocker switch out of the console (down by the diff locker rocker) ... I just assumed they pulled the switch for ... reasons ...

I haven't looked at the wiring for that light bar yet since it's really low on my list vs the $4K Terraflex I had to put in this year to replace the busted stock / hillbilly lift and my rear diff won't lock so that stuff is first in my mind ..

Anyway, there is a CB mount, an LED light bar and a missing rocker switch in the console ... Oh, and jank loose speakers ... Thanks for the input, sounds like I need to inspect this stuff that I thought was minor further.

It's just bothersome because you'd think this would have been a problem earlier (signals/hazards not working).
post #9 of 30 Old 12-06-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
MarlinManStL
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
Does the fuse blow, both with new and old unit?
It does. The fuse blows with either the new or original assembly/flasher combo.
post #10 of 30 Old 12-06-2019, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
MarlinManStL
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlinManStL View Post
It does. The fuse blows with either the new or original assembly/flasher combo.
You know, what I haven't done is replace both the original assembly and fuse 27...
post #11 of 30 Old 12-06-2019, 09:52 PM
WSS
Graduate U-Tube Univ.

2000 TJ Wrangler 

PO wiring in or around the cowl should be looked at Most times, the new wiring is pinched between cowl somewhere and eventually makes a closed loop.

The family TJ build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

non stock CJ's:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My CJ5 Build:

post #12 of 30 Old 12-07-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
MarlinManStL
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So, old switch assembly plus replaced fuse 27 in the PDC works; bad new part.

Now I'm back to square one needing a new switch assembly so my fog lights don't stay on on the time but at least it am street legal.

Appreciate the help folks.

--James
post #13 of 30 Old 12-07-2019, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
MarlinManStL
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So, does anyone know how I could test the blades on the buss socket/receptical (wiring harness slots into the part, buss may be the wrong word) to test for the short? That could save me time when exchanging the part.
post #14 of 30 Old 12-07-2019, 03:27 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlinManStL View Post
So, old switch assembly plus replaced fuse 27 in the PDC works; bad new part.

Now I'm back to square one needing a new switch assembly so my fog lights don't stay on on the time but at least it am street legal.

Appreciate the help folks.

--James
So the new switch caused the fuse to blow from the get-go. And you've been chasing around ever since.

I learned early on, when you do something and now have a problem, to go back to where you were at the beginning.

You may could use a meter to find out what's wrong with the unit you have, or just return it for a replacement.

I changed mine a couple years ago for same fog light staying on problems.

Good luck.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #15 of 30 Old 12-07-2019, 06:35 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you really want to test the switch here, is the procedure from the 03 FSM. Note the flasher is receptacle A & the main switch is B.
Attached Thumbnails
03 Light switch.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in