Help with Control Arms and bushings - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-07-2014, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Sidewaize
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Help with Control Arms and bushings

Hello all and thanks for checking out my post.

I have a 2000 Wrangler which currently has a 4" rough country x series lift installed. Unfortunately this lift has the older style Rough country adjustable control arms which are black on black with no locking nut on the adjustment.

It seems the rear upper and lower control arm bushings are bad causing my rear axle to shift while driving and cause additional vibration on acceleration.

I have contacted Rough Country and these control arms have been discontinued. They also told me they do not supply bushings for them anymore. Using the part number on the bushing 90602257 I was able to find a website that sells them.

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....ducts_id=20870

Their prices on the bushings are outrageous at almost $8 each. This means I would need two per joint for a whopping total of $128 for bushings to replace all of them in the rear. Double that to do the front. Did I mention they charge $20 for shipping? In order to do the bare minimum and get it on the road I purchased 8. This does not include the sleeves if I find they are damaged.

This jeeps is my daily driver so I'm stuck between a hard and a rock place to get it running again. Obviously I do not want to stick with the Rough County Control arms if they are discontinued. But I don't have the coin to replace them all now.

I was looking at the Rubicon Express lower control arms and thinking about replacing the bushings in the rear upper Rough country arms and using the money I saved in doing them all to purchase the R.E. lower control arms.

My question is will this create in issue with mixing the different type/ brand of control arms and bushings? Or am I forced to replace all of the bushings and upgrade arms later. (I doubt the bushings will become easier to find over time.) I'm open to any other suggestions for solving the predicament.

Again, thanks for taking the time to review my post. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-07-2014, 02:21 PM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You can mix different brands of control arms that use different bushings. As long as you do them in pairs, no problem.

RE control arms are not that great either.

I wouldn't replace any bushings in the RC arms. Sell the arms and disclose the bad bushings. Sell them to someone you do not know.

Do you need adjustable arms?

Do you have an SYE?
post #3 of 5 Old 08-07-2014, 02:25 PM
Jwinecoff00

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
RE control arms are not that great either.
I agree. I had their "super-flex" arms that super failed. The hour-glass bushings came apart within a year and the joints weren't that great.

2006 Solar Yellow LJ Rubicon

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Instagram @Jwinecoff

post #4 of 5 Old 08-07-2014, 02:29 PM
rda616

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You can mix and match control arms, but I would never suggest rubicon express control arms to anyone. The hourglass bushings like to fail. I just purged my rig of everything re other than the rear sway bar links. The best options are metalcloak , Currie, or others like Savvy who use real Currie Johnny Joints.

You may be able to replace the adjustable side of your control arms with a Johnny Joint and depending on the diameter of the fixed side press in a clevite bushing.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-12-2014, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Sidewaize
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, After doing some research, I going to purchase some Metal cloak control arms in pairs of two. I have to start with the rear, so which would give me the most bang for my buck? Uppers or lowers. Which ever I don't buy, I will purchase next chance I get. Also, Standard or double adjustable? Thoughts?

Tags
bushings , control arms , rough country 4" lift , rubicon express

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in