Help Choosing Shocks - JeepForum.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 01-25-2020, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
MarioM0one
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Help Choosing Shocks

So, been reading about shocks but haven't found the information I need to make a decision. I have been running the Zone Nitros and have no complaints although the rear one near the exhaust pipe looks pretty toasted, literally. I've lusted after the Fox reservoir shocks, maybe the Falcons but I wonder if it would be worth the cost for what I do.
I use my TJ for rock crawling trails up the 6-7 level range. Desert road runs fairly fast but nothing resembling an endurance race. No way to keep up with them Raptors. Would the Rancho RS9000 shocks serve me just as well for my purpose? I recently installed a set of those on the Ram 2500 4x4 and I like them but I don't wheel the Ram in the same rock trails as the Jeep. The Ranchos cost around $500 vs. the Fox's cost at around 1k. Falcons even more. Kings out of the question, price-wise.

I currently run 35 325x12.50 18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, AT's ( AT's being my absolutely greatest regret and stupidest purchase I've ever made for this rig.) Toyo open Country M/Ts are on the horizon, although I have my reservations about the extra 10lbs per tire weight.

So how about it guys, your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 01-25-2020, 05:19 PM
pd monkey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just purchased a set of Foxes for my TJ. I'll let you know how they are once installed. I did not go with the remote reservoir. I do not think a Jeep would ever be driven hard enough to over-heat a standard emulsion shock. The remote reservoirs do look much cooler, but I don't feel it's a necessity. I don't know anything about the performance of the Rancho RS9000 but the Foxes are right around the same price you noted above.
post #3 of 25 Old 01-25-2020, 08:58 PM
JeepingNet
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I just installed the newer Rancho 5000x and I'm in love with these shocks. I was running Zone Hydros and theses are soo much better.

I normally running Bilstein but had bad luck the last few times.

Colin Jennings
Trail - 2005 Jeep LJ Rubicon
Daily - 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L

post #4 of 25 Old 01-25-2020, 09:53 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I like my Rancho RS5000X shocks as much as my 9000XL's. $180 vs $400+ for a set of 4.

p.s. Kolak on here sells Rancho and Fox (if you don't need them custom tuned). He has really good prices and service.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661
[email protected] or [email protected]
Kolak and Rick_Fury like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5.5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #5 of 25 Old 01-26-2020, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
MarioM0one
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for chiming in guys. I look forward to reading about PD Monkey's experience with the Foxes.
I was thinking that the tire size would have an impact on the type of shock needed. After all, a smaller, narrower tire would beat up on the shock far less than a bigger, fatter (heavier) tire. Wouldn't an adjustable shock, like the Ranchos 9000XL's be more useful in this case? I was also thinking that the Foxes with the reservoirs would serve a similar function? I would think that shocks get more stressed on dirt, rutted roads at speeds over 40mph. Would it matter much on the rocks?
Thanks for sharing your views.
post #6 of 25 Old 01-27-2020, 08:49 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioM0one View Post
Wouldn't an adjustable shock, like the Ranchos 9000XL's be more useful in this case? I was also thinking that the Foxes with the reservoirs would serve a similar function? I would think that shocks get more stressed on dirt, rutted roads at speeds over 40mph. Would it matter much on the rocks?
Ask Jerry B.
Attached Images

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
post #7 of 25 Old 01-30-2020, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
MarioM0one
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Ask Jerry B.
How about Jerry B?
post #8 of 25 Old 01-31-2020, 09:37 AM
pd monkey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The shocks arrived! I got them installed. It was super easy and took about an hour. Just driving it on the street and hitting (deep) drainage drips and some pretty mellow dirt trails.....The Foxes are a lot better than the Bilstiens. The dips I hit, I wouldn't of bottomed out on before, ok not bottom all the way out but I would of got to the bump stops. Now it felt totally in control. The rebound felt very good. Before just driving on anything, it was like driving a marshmallow (best way I can explain it). Now it feels tight but not sharp. I am looking forward to trying in the desert. I don't know anything about Rancho shocks so I cannot compare but they are night/day over the Bilstiens. But I do know, I have never seen an off-road race car with Ranchos Just my $.02
post #9 of 25 Old 02-03-2020, 03:58 PM
WSS
Graduate U-Tube Univ.

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for chiming in guys. I look forward to reading about PD Monkey's experience with the Foxes.
I was thinking that the tire size would have an impact on the type of shock needed. After all, a smaller, narrower tire would beat up on the shock far less than a bigger, fatter (heavier) tire. Wouldn't an adjustable shock, like the Ranchos 9000XL's be more useful in this case? I was also thinking that the Foxes with the reservoirs would serve a similar function? I would think that shocks get more stressed on dirt, rutted roads at speeds over 40mph. Would it matter much on the rocks?
To follow up on some of your questions and maybe expand a bit, Fox has a new(ish) adjuster called the LSC (low speed compression adjustment). They are well suited to playing in the rocks. Unlike the Rancho 9000 shocks, these really work. At zero or the lowest setting, the shock is a bit spongy, on the highest setting (11 I think) it is fairly stiff. On rock gardens and other rutted trails, I will run between 2-3, when I'm aired up and back on forest roads, I'll set it up to 7ish. I bought mine (tuned) from Fullstack MS (Paul). I'm running 11" in front and 12" in back. I am not sure how to rate the shock on road as our rig is towed to the trails. I know they are pricey but they work really good.

See blue adjuster on top of reservoir:

The family TJ build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

non stock CJ's:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My CJ5 Build:

post #10 of 25 Old 02-03-2020, 05:34 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How about Jerry B?
Just noticed this thread. In the above photo I was running the now discontinued OME Nitrochargers and they were superb. When they finally gave up the ghost I was talked into trying Rancho's new gas-charged RS5000x and they blew me away, they seemed to be the OME Nitrocharger reincarnated. Great shocks. Then after a year or two I replaced them with adjustable RS9000xl shocks thinking that'd be better since I tow a trailer a lot and I could stiffen them up. Turns out I liked the old RS5000x shocks better than my present adjustable 9000xl shocks. If I could I'd swap back to the RS5000x. Oh, I didn't replace the OME Nitrochargers with the its replacement OME Nitrocharger Sport because their new Sport rides a lot stiffer.
TheBoogieman likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #11 of 25 Old 02-03-2020, 07:10 PM
beepinJ
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepingNet View Post
I just installed the newer Rancho 5000x and I'm in love with these shocks. I was running Zone Hydros and theses are soo much better.

I normally running Bilstein but had bad luck the last few times.

My buddy will be returning to Rancho after the hiatus with Bilstein. It got pretty rough after about a year of use. We'll work on it right after we finished installing brake kit plus the wheels and tires on the current Ram project. We will try the new Rancho 5000x as well for the TJ and would be expecting a good difference.
post #12 of 25 Old 02-04-2020, 10:38 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Bilstein shocks are equal to RC on largel bumps. If your goal is to hit speed bumps in the Walmart parking lot at 30 mph, both work well. If you actually drive your Jeep, both are bad. Since I joined this forum Jerry B has never steered me wrong or gave me any advice that wasn't spot on. His Rancho shock advice has made my GF want to ride in my Jeep again. You owe me now Jerry! A 30 minute trip and I said 10 words, she never shut up.
Ironhead and suicideking like this.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #13 of 25 Old 02-04-2020, 12:46 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
....made my GF want to ride in my Jeep again. You owe me now Jerry! A 30 minute trip and I said 10 words, she never shut up.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #14 of 25 Old 02-04-2020, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
MarioM0one
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, guys. Very solid information to help me decide, and likely others in the future.
Much appreciated.
post #15 of 25 Old 02-04-2020, 02:54 PM
WSS
Graduate U-Tube Univ.

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
His Rancho shock advice has made my GF want to ride in my Jeep again. You owe me now Jerry! A 30 minute trip and I said 10 words, she never shut up.
ya, collateral damage is not Mr. Bransford's fault. By nature, he means well.

Talking gf's is for another type of "self help" forum. So, I won't mention duct tape or doors that don't close well.

TheBoogieman likes this.

The family TJ build:

non stock CJ's:

My CJ5 Build:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in