Help with burnt wiring smell? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-18-2009, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Bob97TJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Help with burnt wiring smell?

I cant figure out where a burning wiring smell is coming from.It seems to be stronger when my heater fan is on.it goes away after driving for a while.Ive now quit driving the jeep(97 tj 2.5) because i really REALLY dont want it to catch fire! I have not installed any thing electrical in a long time.I cant feel any warm wires or see anything smoking,help me out-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-18-2009, 11:11 PM
Alexia

2004 LJ Wrangler 

It may be the switch in the dash melting or the fan resistor in the blower motor.

2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Automatic
RC 2.5" Lift - RC 2.5" Rear Track Bar Bracket - JKS 1.25" Body Lift - JKS Front Disconnects - JKS 1" Budget Motor Mount Lift - Spidertrax 1.25" Spacers -
Power Door Locks with Keyless Entry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
post #3 of 4 Old 03-19-2009, 12:28 AM
Supertau
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I know this will sound wierd but I had the similiar problem with a car I had and I swear I was waiting for the damn thing to burn to the ground. The next time I changed the oil I noticed a walmart sack had attach itself to the h-pipe and was slowly melting onto the exhaust. Probly not the reason but something to look for anyways.

post #4 of 4 Old 03-19-2009, 07:02 AM
gabriel05
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It's the blower switch, or the blower resistor. It's a pretty common problem to have them burn up on a TJ. Eventually some of the fan settings will stop working.
If you loose all the blower speeds except high then it's the resistor.
If you just loose random ones here and there then it's probably the switch.
This is caused by the brushes in the blower motor getting dirty/worn creating resistance thus making the motor pull more amperage. Replacing the resistor/switch is really just a band-aid to the problem they will keep burning up until you get a new blower. However blowers are expensive and the switch/resistor are cheaper so that's what most people do.
I installed a 20A fuse inline with the high setting on the blower switch. If I leave it on high too long it pops the fuse. This keeps it from burning up the switch, and fuses are cheap. I can go through a bucket of them and still be cheaper than the blower. The best fix without replacing the blower is to wire in relays (30A I think) for the different settings. Depends on how good you are with wiring though.

Black Jeep Society Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in