!!!!!HELP!!!!!2.5 to 4.0 swap. "Skim" - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-16-2014, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
mickeyneely89
1999 TJ Wrangler 

!!!!!HELP!!!!!2.5 to 4.0 swap. "Skim"

I have just abt finished my swap and went to start and it runs for 3 seconds and dies over and over!! I have read til my brain hurts about the "skim security" system that came as a option on TJ's. My Tj does not have the skim and is a 99' but apparently the donor Tj which also is a 99 had it. I am getting the vin from the donor tomm and wanted to know the best route to get her running. Do I just need to find a non-skim ECM and good to go or do I have to get vin from donor, transfer skim module and order keys?? Can I use a ECM out of a XJ?? The whole swap has been very easy until this and I'm abt to pull my hair out!!,,hopefully someone out there has been down this road and can help me out. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-16-2014, 08:33 PM
tsc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

you'll need the skim/key/pcm from the rig you purchased from *not sure about the skim- or unplug your skim and find a PCM what was not setup for skim.

Not a lot of options on this one- but DO NOT plug in a pcm when your rig still has the skim plugged it, its a round hoop around the key mechanism that has a 6 or 8 pin wire harness on it. *basically a wire hoop around the ignition cylinder
post #3 of 12 Old 02-16-2014, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
mickeyneely89
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My Tj has no skim so it won't corrupt a un-skimmed pcm!! Basically just need to know what year non-skim pcm's will work in my 99' and will a XJ work too?? I know the GC all came with skim automatically not just as an option. The guy I bought the donor 4.0 and pcm said it had no keys but he can get me the vin tomm!!!

post #4 of 12 Old 02-16-2014, 09:15 PM
goodwrenchdave
2008 JK Wrangler 

At this point it might be cheaper to just buy the skim module ~70$, and a key, install it and have the whole thing programed by Chrysler dealer. Not sure if they have the harness to perform bench (out of vehicle) programming (pair both modules) so you may need to tow in . or send your pcm to have it disabled aftermarket
post #5 of 12 Old 02-16-2014, 09:21 PM
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyneely89 View Post
My Tj has no skim so it won't corrupt a un-skimmed pcm!! Basically just need to know what year non-skim pcm's will work in my 99' and will a XJ work too?? I know the GC all came with skim automatically not just as an option. The guy I bought the donor 4.0 and pcm said it had no keys but he can get me the vin tomm!!!
This post is confusing. If you swapped in a 4.0 and PCM that has SKIM enabled, and you keep trying to start it, you'll brick the PCM. As mentioned the easiest method would be to buy the SKIM module for the ignition then have the dealership program everything. Or you could take it to the dealership and see if they will disable the SKIM.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-16-2014, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
mickeyneely89
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ok cool, I was looking into sending it to autocomputerexchange, or b&g!! So as long as I don't have the skim on my TJ and I send the donor pcm off to have skim removed I should be good to go correct???
post #7 of 12 Old 02-16-2014, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
mickeyneely89
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Also I have started it probably 20-30 times over last couple days and hasn't bricked it!! So does this mean it's not a skim issue?? How many attempts locks the pcm?
post #8 of 12 Old 02-16-2014, 09:35 PM
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I was actually wrong, I just remembered some old threads on the subject and SKIM can't be disabled by the dealer. If you have SKIM either you need a new non SKIM PCM or just install the ignition module. Don't trust any company that says they can reprogram/disable SKIM. I would question the legality of it. I think the only way SKIM can be disabled is if Chrysler sends the computer back to the original vendor for re programming.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-16-2014, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
mickeyneely89
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I just don't understand why I can't get a non-skim pcm from a 99 Tj for a 4.0 and be good to go. From what I've read this will work?? Would rather not deal with stealership if possible. If i do go the other route do I just need the vin from the donor jeep? Would it help to have the skim module out of the donor too?
post #10 of 12 Old 02-16-2014, 09:45 PM
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I just don't understand why I can't get a non-skim pcm from a 99 Tj for a 4.0 and be good to go. From what I've read this will work?? Would rather not deal with stealership if possible. If i do go the other route do I just need the vin from the donor jeep? Would it help to have the skim module out of the donor too?
Yes, sorry if I was confusing, you can just install a non SKIM PCM. Just giving an alternative because installing the ignition module and having the dealer program everything might be cheaper then trying to source a non SKIM PCM. Plus you gain the functionality of SKIM as it's basically the best security you get. The only way someone is going to steal your Jeep is with a flatbed.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-16-2014, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
mickeyneely89
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ok thanks buddy that sounds good!! It shouldn't matter if the pcm is out of a auto or manual since the trannys weren't computer controlled in 99 correct? And is swapping one out of a 99 XJ an option or have to be from a Tj?
post #12 of 12 Old 02-16-2014, 09:57 PM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok thanks buddy that sounds good!! It shouldn't matter if the pcm is out of a auto or manual since the trannys weren't computer controlled in 99 correct? And is swapping one out of a 99 XJ an option or have to be from a Tj?
PCM from an auto will throw a code for no torque converter lockup.

Not sure if an XJ PCM will work or not.

Tags
conversion , ecm , skim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in