Heavy Duty Hinges and Tailgate Reinforcement. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 523 Old 08-31-2011, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
rkwfxd
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Heavy Duty Hinges and Tailgate Reinforcement.

Whyforhowcome nobody makes a product like this?

They make a heavy duty Hinge/Pivot for a large tire that mounts to their aftermarket bumper (lots of companies)

or

They make a heavy duty hinge that bolts to the tub and then to the tailgate but must be opened separately (OR FAB) or can be opened with the tailgate due to the paralellagram design (BesTop).

How about this, build a spare tire rack/mount that uses the factory tailgate hinge holes. Remove factory hinges, install new hinges/bracket - probably with additional support on the inside of the tube. Then install the other side of the hinges to the factory holes on the tail gate and drill a couple of additional holes where the tire rack/mount bolts through the tailgate near the factory latch - probably with additional support on the inside of the tailgate.

Don't know if any of that makes since. I am just trying to think of a way to design a heavy duty spare tire mount that uses the factory hinge mount locations on the tube and tailgate and also beefs up / supports the tailgate so that the factory latch could be used.

Why is this not possible or feasible?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 523 Old 08-31-2011, 10:20 PM
mystangt
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I am SUBSCRIBING!!!!

I'd be the first to buy something like this!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
post #3 of 523 Old 08-31-2011, 10:25 PM
hustler905

2002 TJ Wrangler 

On a minimum six year old Jeep, people seem to be less and less hesitant to drill holes to mount stuff like corners and tire carriers.

post #4 of 523 Old 08-31-2011, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
rkwfxd
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I am fine with drilling holes in my jeep. in fact my design would require holes to be drilled in the tailgate near the latch to reinforce the tailgate. I just think my design is cleaner at least in my head than what is currently offered
post #5 of 523 Old 08-31-2011, 11:57 PM
edmond

2012 JK Wrangler 

I think it comes down to cost. We make stronger hinges for the TJ that are capable of holding the additional weight of larger tires, and I have actually thought about doing something like you are describing, but the cost of the finished product would be more than most people would want to pay..

2012JKU half doors,40 Nittos,RJ60's,TFLA,Elkas,PS bumpers,PS Rockers(alum), ASFIR 4X4
SOLD-2006LJ
post #6 of 523 Old 09-01-2011, 12:10 AM
Yuri

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmond View Post
THOSE are some SEXY hinges!

2001 TJ; 1999 XJ; 1993 ZJ
post #7 of 523 Old 09-01-2011, 04:23 AM
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Very soon there will be product on the market that meets this need.

Here's what one of the pre-production hinges lookes like next to a stock 03-06 hinge:

And I can't show you a photo of the tailgate reinforcement/large spare carrier portion of it because it hasn't been announced yet, but I can show you a 225-pound demonstration:

The features of this product include:

- No drilling required
- Swings with tailgate (unlike those that require separate unlatching/swinging)
- Retains stock look of Jeep
- Multiple tire carrier mounting positions:
* Stock location
* 2 1/4" higher than stock (for up to 37" spares)
* 2 1/4" higher than stock and 3" towards passenger side to allow free access to tailgate paddle handle when large spares mounted.
- Works with stock CHMSL (although CHMSL might need to be raised if larger spares are used).
- The hinges are greasable and rebuildable (there are replaceable bronze bushings).
- Can be removed to return Jeep to stock leaving no holes or other damage to Jeep.

This product should be available in a matter of weeks.

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford
post #8 of 523 Old 09-01-2011, 06:12 AM
Boundless

2005 LJ Wrangler 

subscribed for future reference

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) 6cyl, 4spd auto, dana 30/44 3.73, rear trac-loc, hard top, BFG KM2 35/12.5 x 15 on rattle can black stock Ravine wheels & 1.5" spacers, trimmed flares, budget PA 1" BL & RC 1" MML, Ford Explorer roof rack, Hella e-code headlight housings, 55 watt DDM HID Hi/Lo 6000k, EBC Yellow Stuff front brake pads, Platinum P4 battery, Rusty's 3" 305s front and 303s rear springs, RC rear track bar bracket and Hella 500FFs with DDM's 55watt 6000k H3 HIDs on windshield hinge brackets. Currie's front upper and lower control arms. Hummm whats next? Building a Dana HP30 with 4.88 and ? locker

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 523 Old 09-01-2011, 06:20 AM
jeepinhokie

2004 TJ Wrangler 

interesting!

HOKIES UNITED!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 523 Old 09-01-2011, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
rkwfxd
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post

Here's what one of the pre-production hinges lookes like next to a stock 03-06 hinge:

And I can't show you a photo of the tailgate reinforcement/large spare carrier portion of it because it hasn't been announced yet, but I can show you a 225-pound demonstration:

The features of this product include:

- No drilling required
- Swings with tailgate (unlike those that require separate unlatching/swinging)
- Retains stock look of Jeep
- Multiple tire carrier mounting positions:
* Stock location
* 2 1/4" higher than stock (for up to 37" spares)
* 2 1/4" higher than stock and 3" towards passenger side to allow free access to tailgate paddle handle when large spares mounted.
- Works with stock CHMSL (although CHMSL might need to be raised if larger spares are used).
- The hinges are greasable and rebuildable (there are replaceable bronze bushings).
- Can be removed to return Jeep to stock leaving no holes or other damage to Jeep.

This product should be available in a matter of weeks.

The timing of this is perfect. I just need to know which company to watch so that I can put my order in.
post #11 of 523 Old 09-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Dash
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Great! When that hinge and reinforcement bracket hit the market there will be a used ARB rear bumper/tire carrier for sale.
post #12 of 523 Old 09-01-2011, 10:49 AM
PurpleTJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Nice timing! Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDustMan View Post
I took a poo once, and when I stood up, there was nothing in the toilet. I was positively terrified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
Get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.
Purple Jeep Club member #8

post #13 of 523 Old 09-01-2011, 10:51 AM
purplepig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

subscribed!
post #14 of 523 Old 09-01-2011, 11:06 AM
MCDavis
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

You know, you could easily get rid of all those extra hinges you've wound up with during design and production...
post #15 of 523 Old 09-01-2011, 11:15 AM
ken123
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I like the idea too. Keeping it clean and simple, not adding a ton of weight to my little 4 cylinder. Squeezed on a 33x12.5 on the stock tailgate / tire holder, so far so good (no sag) but would love to beef it up…and maybe a small ice chest rack back there.

Subscribed!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in