hard top wiring harness? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 11-17-2005, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
rance23

hard top wiring harness?

I am selling my hard top tomorrow and i need to know where to un plug the harness at. i'm letting the harness got but not the switches. i know from the center roll bar forward the speaker/dome light wires run with the bundle of wires. any info would help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-18-2005, 04:42 AM
jeffjeep1

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Unplug the harness at the hardtop. If this is a factory hardtop Jeep, the harness is integral with the rear lighting. A lot of work to remove, and you need to replace it with a softtop harness otherwise, no sound bar, no rear lights. Major work to cleanly get the harness out from between the Jeep and the gas tank. Also, the instrument panel harness is different for soft and hard top.

If you have an add on harness, start at the rear and move forwards. You even get to go into the engine compartment to the washer bottle. You will need to plug the hole in the bulkhead (firewall) and the 2nd washer pump. You will wind up going all the way to the switch panel. If you go that far, you might as well swap your switches for the buyers switch blanks. You will get to the instrument cluster too.
The add on harness will be obvious, since the factory hardtop one piece is taped together along the left rear side of the Jeep.
Also, do not what year you are selling and what year the buyer has. Some of the electrical connectors are a different size such as from 2000 to 2002, particularly at the instrument cluster. Ask me how I know.
When I bought my hardtop just recently, I wanted to use factory harness from seller, common sense set in and we stopped before the situation got ridiculous.

HTH

Jean - Wonderful wife
2003 Toyota Sequoia
2005 FA64 (aka LJ) Khaki
Heidi - Golden Retriever/Jeep Dog

Last edited by jeffjeep1; 11-18-2005 at 05:11 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-18-2005, 04:47 AM
bfr

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would not pull the harness. just buy another from the dealer or jeepsareus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old 12-24-2005, 05:50 AM
SgtSnake

If it's a CJ, then there is a single plug that connects it to the hardtop, a 2-4 connection plug at the rear, on the drivers side. The wiring harness is standard in all CJ's and I assume the same for YJs, since I modified a YJ harness to connect to my CJ, and drove it for several months that way until I rolled it on black ice. Any other problems there, let me know.

SgtSnake Former Jeep owner with plans to buy another within the next 2 years Cousin is currently rebuilding the old jeep, but need to buy rebuilt already.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in