Hard top to soft top conversion - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 04-12-2016, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
CRD98tj

Garage
Hard top to soft top conversion

I just bought a 97 Wrangler TJ that came only with a hardtop. I want a soft top for the summer. When I purchased the Jeep I was unaware of how difficult it is to install soft top hardware and then the soft top. I was under the impression that it was an easy install and I thought I would keep a soft top for the summer and a hard top for the winter, but if installing the soft top hardware is so difficult I might sell my hard top and run the soft top year round.

I plan on purchasing the quadratop complete sailcloth with the hardware included. Does anyone have any experience with this soft top or similar from quadratec, is this a nice one compared to OEM?

Also, does anyone have any advice for installing the soft top hardware? Is it an easy install? There's basically no guides or videos for installing the hardware online.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-12-2016, 01:14 PM
KrisGarner
I am the Reaper

2002 WJ 

See this thread. Unless you are dead set on a factory style top, a frameless one might be better for you. I know my SofTopper came with all hardware needed to install it and I didn't have to hunt down any stock brackets or hardware.

As far as transition from a hard top to soft, there are 2 or 3 screws on each side that attach the soft top bows to the roll bar right behind the front seats. Remove those and you should be good to swap back to a hard top. Or, they make quick releases for the bows, so you can leave the bracket on the roll bar, since they would be under the roll bar padding if you still have that in place. http://www.quadratec.com/products/11033_002.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-12-2016, 01:19 PM
beber
2005 WK 

There are only 2 brackets which get mounted to roll bar which the frame attaches to. There really is not a lot of hardware and its a pretty easy instal.

I purchased the quadratec replacement top (standard version not sail cloth). IMO the fabric is top notch. However, I've been struggling with fitment issues. I just can't seem to get my top tight enough. I'm not fully sure if this is a Quadratec product issue, or an instillation issue on my end.

2005 WK Limited with 2" BB
1997 Wrangler 4 cyl, unknown 3" lift and 33"

Tags
soft top , soft top frame , soft top interchange

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in