• 1 Post By CJ7-Tim
  • 1 Post By BlaketheSnake
  • 1 Post By 4Low2G0

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-17-2021, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
53flattie

1936 CJ2A 

H4 Headlight Recommendation?

I recently purchased some old(ish)-school Warn fog/driving lights. I really like the period correct look of them, and didn’t want the spaceship look of multi-LED lights. I was surprised to discover that Warn no longer makes these, but I was able to find a set on eBay:

I also want to upgrade my original headlights. I want to stick with H4, so the light quality matches the fog lights. In looking around the interweb, I see several options for H4’s - Hella, KC, Rampage, and IPF. Does anyone have experience with any of these brands? I assume they are all plug-and-play, correct? (No changes to the wiring harness or relays to add?)

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-17-2021, 07:21 AM
natedenver

Most people will recommend the hella. I have had the ramage and hella. I am sure there is a difference, maybe even a big difference but when I drive in the mountains, they both work great for me.

As for bulbs, there are a couple great write ups. Not sure about the links. But after reading the write-ups and doing way to much research, I settled on these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZD8CGNQ...p_mob_ap_share

They work great. They don't seem to blind people and are the proper type of led bulb do that the light is aimed and directed properly. And 4.5 stars in Amazon with 3640 reviews is pretty solid.

They are kind of a pita to install but that may just be me fat fingering them.

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 Old 06-17-2021, 11:10 AM
LumberjackLloyd
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hella's are not optically correct. You can find this explanation in various places. Koito's are by far the best H4 you can buy, I will find the Toyota part number. You can also buy through Daniel Stern lighting.

Toyota PN 90981-01035. RHD Koito E code lamps. They come with basic H4 bulbs, I would upgrade to a Phillips Xtreme Vision.

post #4 of 10 Old 06-17-2021, 11:24 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Any all glass H-4 lamp should be just fine. I have Hella in my 00 XJ, I have AutoPal in my my 98 XJ, and Cibie in my CJ-7. I use plain white halogen bulbs. Avoid any plastic H-4 housings, and housings with Diamond or Crystal in their name or description.
4Low2G0 likes this.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts,
not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution” Abraham Lincoln, 1859.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-17-2021, 11:39 AM
rsurran

2013 JK Wrangler 

On my 2003 I converted from stock to PHillips H4 60/55w bulbs and Hella housings. They were not plug and play, I had to also put in a 9003 H4 headlight relay wiring harness kit. Now 3 years later I don’t remember why I needed the relay kit. But I was really happy with the finished product.

2003 TJ 4.0L Freedom Edition, Flame Red, 5 spd., CAI, Warn, stinger, Hella/KC trail lights.
2013 JK Sport Black, Auto Trans, Bone Stock

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
post #6 of 10 Old 06-19-2021, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
53flattie

1936 CJ2A 

Thanks so much for the advice.

One more question - will the stock fog light wiring handle these new fog lights? I would prefer to use the factory wiring and relays, so I retain the stalk-operated switch and high beam off functionality.

The lights haven’t arrived just yet, but I know they are 100w. I just don’t know how many amps they draw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #7 of 10 Old 06-19-2021, 06:39 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

For the best performance from an H-4 upgrade, you need to upgrade the wiring as well. You can buy a complete plug and play H-4 headlight wire harness and the fog lamps should also have upgraded wiring. You can use the stock fog lamp wiring to trigger a relay, and power the fog lamps from the relay. That way all the stock driver controls remain in place and should function as normal.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts,
not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution” Abraham Lincoln, 1859.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-22-2021, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
53flattie

1936 CJ2A 

Just to put a bow on this topic…. Thanks for all the advice on H4 headlights. Several of the mentioned brands are on back order (shocker), so that upgrade might be a little further down the road.

Re: the new Warn fog light wiring - just for giggles, I used some temporary wiring to power them via the old fog light wiring versus using the supplied wiring harness and relays (wired directly to the battery). Wow - what a difference. I would venture to say the lights were 30-40% brighter when wired to the battery. I’ll be going that route and using the factory wiring just to trigger the relays.

Now for a new thread on a power distribution center…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 10 Old 06-23-2021, 09:41 AM
BlaketheSnake

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've got both Hella and KC H4 light housings with LED H4 Bulbs and the Hella is my preference.
I've had the Hellas since 1995...hard to beat their beam pattern.
4Low2G0 likes this.

For Great Deals and Customer Service on your Jeep, Drop Nick a Line!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kolak Performance

Tread lightly or we all will be tree hugging hikers!
2006 LJ Rubicon Black 35" BFG KM2s with 3.5" Metal Cloak Short Arm Kit
1998 ZJ 5.2V8 Deep Pearl Slate w/Up Country Suspension
1988 SJ416 White
post #10 of 10 Old 06-24-2021, 03:37 PM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I also run Hellas and have since the early 90s they work great, however the relay is needed
to get full battery voltage to the bulbs for the most light on the road.

The E code lights have a very distinct cut off that avoids blinding on coming traffic but does not
illuminate reflective road signs as well.

US spec lights are designed to illuminate road signs that is why the beam pattern is different.
I have not found this to be a problem in over 30 years and love the extra light on the road.

For the fogs 2 100w lights at 12.5 volts will draw 16A

2x100w=200w/12.5v=16a
Attached Images

BlaketheSnake likes this.

Whats over that next ridge?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in