H&R springs 52107 vs 52109 on TJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-02-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
TxTJ32

H&R springs 52107 vs 52109 on TJ

Hi guy's and gal's,

I'm new to coil sprung jeeps but have had 7 or 8 jeep cj's and yj's previously. I'm wanting to lift a 2000 tj sport short wheel base (not unlimited) with a front bumper, maybe a winch, spare, rear seat, and hard top with H&R springs for a lady friend. H&R spec's the 52107 for this application, and show approximately 1" of lift, they spec the 52109 for the unlimited, with approximately 1.5" lift. I have read much of what is online, in the forum, and even called H&R without coming up with an answer as to what I would get if I put the 52109 on this TJ. H&R couldn't or wouldn't give me any information on the specs other than the amount of lift, and they couldn't or wouldn't tell me what configuration the test vehicle was 4 or 6 cyl, hard top or not, etc... They would only say they spec each number for a generic specific vehicle. They really weren't much help. So, has anyone used the 52109 on a tj that is not an unlimited? If so, what did you end up with in lift, handling, and ride quality? I'm asking because I'd like just a little more lift than the 1" of the 52107's. Any feedback is appreciated.

Here is a photo from the forum showing the difference between stock, 52107 and 52109 springs. Note, photo may not show due to my post count.

Attached Thumbnails
stock vs 52107 vs 52109.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-02-2017, 05:16 PM
offroadman83
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmm had no idea they were different. Been looking for a pair of rears only for my jeep and can't find any ugh. Will be keeping up with this though.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-02-2017, 05:53 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Have you read this thread.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/1-...-lift-1150250/

Edit, I would venture to say the reason H&R won't tell you what you want to hear, is that these spring are actually a lowering spring for a totally different application.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx

post #4 of 13 Old 02-02-2017, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
TxTJ32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
Have you read this thread.
Link removed because this goofy forum won't allow me to quote your link in my reply.

Yes, I have, it was a good read. Thank you though. The only things I have found are TJ's using 52107, and LJ's using 52109's. I'm wanting to see about using the 52109's on a TJ.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-23-2020, 10:07 PM
99JeepWrangler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Glad to see these pictures of the coils. I'm wondering if the LJ rear coils will keep the factory rake that my TJ would have had. I'm not terribly heavy but there is an add-a-trunk, the soft top, and a hard top in the rear. I'd prefer not to lose the factory rake.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-24-2020, 07:10 PM
Pine_Cat
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTJ32 View Post
The only things I have found are TJ's using 52107, and LJ's using 52109's. I'm wanting to see about using the 52109's on a TJ.
The company has a design philosophy that won't work if you put their LJ springs on a TJ, so don't be upset that they haven't invested the time in trying it, because they have a sizeable product line-up, and I doubt they're making enough sales to be inefficient.

Somewhere in here is a thread with a TJ at about 3" - 4" of lift using the H&R rear LJ springs. He liked it a lot, but it will take some searching to find it, because this forum's been looking like a ghost town lately.

It may be worth the search to find what he used up front. If you use all 4 LJ springs on a TJ, you may be the first person to report the results, but deviating from intended use sometimes requires experimentation.

I say all this because my first improvised lift kit for my TJ was mis-matched. However, I hit a home run on my second try, so I've always felt it was worth the risk to experiment. I also had this experience with my Trailblazer, of getting it right on the second try.

2017 JK Sahara (my Smartcar)
2011 KK Liberty (H&R lift springs, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 32)
2009 Kia Sorento (H&R springs, ToyTec strut spacers, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 31)
2006 TJ budget LCG prerunner (see profile)
2006 Chevy Trailblazer (EXT lift, Nth LJ 4.5" springs + Monroe rear coilovers, skinny 32)
1998 Dodge Durango (SuspMax & Roadmaster lifts, rear Truetrac, skinny 32)
post #7 of 13 Old 01-24-2020, 10:02 PM
99JeepWrangler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine_Cat View Post
The company has a design philosophy that won't work if you put their LJ springs on a TJ, so don't be upset that they haven't invested the time in trying it, because they have a sizeable product line-up, and I doubt they're making enough sales to be inefficient.

Somewhere in here is a thread with a TJ at about 3" - 4" of lift using the H&R rear LJ springs. He liked it a lot, but it will take some searching to find it, because this forum's been looking like a ghost town lately.

It may be worth the search to find what he used up front. If you use all 4 LJ springs on a TJ, you may be the first person to report the results, but deviating from intended use sometimes requires experimentation.

I say all this because my first improvised lift kit for my TJ was mis-matched. However, I hit a home run on my second try, so I've always felt it was worth the risk to experiment. I also had this experience with my Trailblazer, of getting it right on the second try.
Oh damn that's more lift with the rear LJ springs on a TJ than I was expecting.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-25-2020, 05:12 AM
Pine_Cat
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, some of the LJ owners noted the H&R springs gave them more rear lift than they were expecting (and most of them liked it), but of course it will be even greater on a TJ, but a significant lift on a TJ will be complicated because of the usual reasons (e.g., the TJ's shorter wheelbase, etc.)

Maybe the numbers of views of other threads like this one will allow H&R to see there's interest in their products in the Jeep community, so maybe going forward they'll invest a little bit of time in R&D for new Jeep products ?

2009 Kia Sorento (H&R springs, ToyTec strut spacers, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 31)
2006 Chevy Trailblazer (EXT lift, Nth LJ 4.5" springs + Monroe rear coilovers, skinny 32)
post #9 of 13 Old 01-25-2020, 05:12 PM
99JeepWrangler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes, some of the LJ owners noted the H&R springs gave them more rear lift than they were expecting (and most of them liked it), but of course it will be even greater on a TJ, but a significant lift on a TJ will be complicated because of the usual reasons (e.g., the TJ's shorter wheelbase, etc.)

Maybe the numbers of views of other threads like this one will allow H&R to see there's interest in their products in the Jeep community, so maybe going forward they'll invest a little bit of time in R&D for new Jeep products ?
That sure would be nice. The reason I like the H&R springs is because it doesn't provide a radical lift which is something I don't really want. I'm running 31s which is all that my usage requires. Stock/close to stock is all I'm going for while potentially improving the ride which some seem to have said that the H&Rs provide.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-26-2020, 05:31 PM
Pine_Cat
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, I think there are a lot of people who just want a spring upgrade instead of a radical lift. I've upgraded the springs on all of my vehicles, but I wouldn't want to lift higher, not even on the Wranglers.

At a minimum, H&R's dual-rate approach will improve your sway control, so H&R's TJ springs on the short wheelbase will be a noticeable improvement. Somewhere in here there's a monster thread with numerous testimonials.

post #11 of 13 Old 01-26-2020, 07:53 PM
99JeepWrangler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes, I think there are a lot of people who just want a spring upgrade instead of a radical lift. I've upgraded the springs on all of my vehicles, but I wouldn't want to lift higher, not even on the Wranglers.

At a minimum, H&R's dual-rate approach will improve your sway control, so H&R's TJ springs on the short wheelbase will be a noticeable improvement. Somewhere in here there's a monster thread with numerous testimonials.

The most off-roading my Jeep sees is beach work down here on the South Texas coast so there's literally no need for additional height. Stock articulation suffices as well. The 31s are nice from an aesthetic stand point. Anything beyond that is simply unnecessary. If I went any bigger, I'd have to start looking at a regear which is not something I'd care to do with on the D35 so I'd be looking at new axles and it'll quick devolve down the rabbit hole of supporting mods lol.

I've gone through some of that mega-thread I believe. Still haven't decided which way I want to go for shocks...Rancho, Bilstein, or Fox.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-27-2020, 09:23 PM
Pine_Cat
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

A fairly new development is the Rancho RS5000X. It gets a lot of good reviews, but most of the H&R threads' posts pre-date the 5000X. As a result, those older H&R posts mostly talk about Bilstein and OME.

post #13 of 13 Old 01-29-2020, 01:32 AM
99JeepWrangler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
A fairly new development is the Rancho RS5000X. It gets a lot of good reviews, but most of the H&R threads' posts pre-date the 5000X. As a result, those older H&R posts mostly talk about Bilstein and OME.
I've read a bit about those and it seems to be what's in flavor combined with the H&Rs. I forget about the OMEs...that would be an interesting choice as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in