Grill and headlight attachment - JeepForum.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 02-15-2020, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
jaycal3

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Grill and headlight attachment

Hi everyone,
Iím jumping over from the YJ side to inquire for my son and his TJ. He has a Ď99 and when he purchased it, it had a plastic angry eye grill with no metal grill behind it (I ridiculed him already). He has since found a metal grill to attach but has none of the original hardware to do so. Can someone tell me what bolts and sizes need to be purchased in order to attach the grill? Also, the headlights need to be attached. What do I need for that?
Thanks in advance,
Jay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

93 YJ, 6 cyl,3.5" BDS,1" Prothane BL,1/2" booms, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ on MT Beadlocks.

Do your part for Leukemia research - help find a cure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KCCO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-15-2020, 12:25 PM
tj99

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I had mine out last year. Most of the bolts are the same. Pull.either a fender or battery tray bolt out and you should be fine. Don't forget to check the body mount that is under the grill. It's the same as the ones under the rear corners.

I'm not home where I can look at my TJ to be exactly sure of where they mount but does it still have the rods that go from the firewall to the radiator support?
jaycal3 likes this.

1998 2.5L 5Spd - Sold
1999 4.0L Auto - Mine
2010 JKU - Sold
2014 JKU - Wifes
post #3 of 18 Old 02-15-2020, 12:42 PM
sycboi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

All the bolts for fender to grille, fender to tub, and inner fender to braces are m8x1.25. Lengths are 30’ish mm I’d imagine...
jaycal3 likes this.

SuperBeast, enforcer for the Mopar Mafia ̿ '̿'̿\̵͇̿̿\з=(ē̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿

post #4 of 18 Old 02-15-2020, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
jaycal3

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj99 View Post
I had mine out last year. Most of the bolts are the same. Pull.either a fender or battery tray bolt out and you should be fine. Don't forget to check the body mount that is under the grill. It's the same as the ones under the rear corners.

I'm not home where I can look at my TJ to be exactly sure of where they mount but does it still have the rods that go from the firewall to the radiator support?

Good question. Iíll have to ask him or take a good luck when he gets home from college.

93 YJ, 6 cyl,3.5" BDS,1" Prothane BL,1/2" booms, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ on MT Beadlocks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KCCO
post #5 of 18 Old 02-15-2020, 01:14 PM
Mattific

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Odd that itís not just a plastic cover and thereís no factory grille behind it, as that is structural on the tjs
NashvilleTJ likes this.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-15-2020, 01:18 PM
sycboi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The bolts that secure the grille support rods to the grille and firewall are m8x1.25 as well...

SuperBeast, enforcer for the Mopar Mafia ̿ '̿'̿\̵͇̿̿\з=(ē̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿
post #7 of 18 Old 02-15-2020, 02:01 PM
tj99

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I was just thinking the same thing about the grill being structural. It supports the radiator and the fenders mount to it.
NashvilleTJ likes this.

1998 2.5L 5Spd - Sold
1999 4.0L Auto - Mine
2010 JKU - Sold
2014 JKU - Wifes
post #8 of 18 Old 02-17-2020, 06:40 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycal3 View Post
He has a Ď99 and when he purchased it, it had a plastic angry eye grill with no metal grill behind it
It must have been wrecked and someone was too cheap to replace the stock grille. The plastic ones are all just covers. I have a "NOT so angry" one.

p.s. I just finished 3 months on the new Oprah Weight Watchers program in that pic. My legs got a little too thin.
Attached Thumbnails
RUBI SKEL 8 25 (2).jpg  
numchuck and jaycal3 like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes. ***SOLD*** for Covid-19 pandemic rent money. :(
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #9 of 18 Old 02-17-2020, 09:05 AM
tj99

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
The plastic ones are all just covers. I have a "NOT so angry" one.
Boogie, is that a plastic cover on yours? Mine has had a few incidents on and off road. It looks like someone punched it in the face.

1998 2.5L 5Spd - Sold
1999 4.0L Auto - Mine
2010 JKU - Sold
2014 JKU - Wifes
post #10 of 18 Old 02-17-2020, 09:10 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Boogie, is that a plastic cover on yours? Mine has had a few incidents on and off road. It looks like someone punched it in the face.
Yes. I bought it to cover MANY rock chips. Extreme Terrain sold them (Barricade brand). I bought mine on Ebay for half price and ET discontinued them a month later. I would have used Plasti-Dip, but I always have problems with removing the tape and not pulling it off. The overspray NEVER comes off though.
Attached Thumbnails
RUBI TIRE (2).jpg  
numchuck likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes. ***SOLD*** for Covid-19 pandemic rent money. :(
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #11 of 18 Old 02-18-2020, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
jaycal3

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
It must have been wrecked and someone was too cheap to replace the stock grille. The plastic ones are all just covers. I have a "NOT so angry" one.

p.s. I just finished 3 months on the new Oprah Weight Watchers program in that pic. My legs got a little too thin.

Haha, sorry man, I wasnít taking a dig at the plastic cover... I just donít prefer the angry eyes to a normal grill. As for my sons, he says there is the framework or metal shell of a grill behind the plastic... but not a full metal grill. Either way, Iím prepping the new grill for him and we will attach it when he comes home from school. I believe the rods are in place and the radiator is probably attached to the metal grill-like structure. I want to go with all new hardware so at least I have the size now!

You TJ guys are ok But, hereís my YJ and a picture of it next to my sons TJ

KCCO
post #12 of 18 Old 02-18-2020, 01:55 PM
tj99

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycal3 View Post
As for my sons, he says there is the framework or metal shell of a grill behind the plastic... but not a full metal grill.
Good looking pair of Jeeps!

As you've seen from your new grill the front and back are attached. I'm curious as to what he's running, post a picture of what you find when you get the plastic off.

Here's mine last year sporting the ultra rare 2x4 a/c support. Unfortunately I didn't take a good pic of the removed headlights.
jaycal3 likes this.

1998 2.5L 5Spd - Sold
1999 4.0L Auto - Mine
2010 JKU - Sold
2014 JKU - Wifes
post #13 of 18 Old 02-20-2020, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
jaycal3

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Good looking pair of Jeeps!

As you've seen from your new grill the front and back are attached. I'm curious as to what he's running, post a picture of what you find when you get the plastic off.

Here's mine last year sporting the ultra rare 2x4 a/c support. Unfortunately I didn't take a good pic of the removed headlights.

Thanks! I rebuilt the YJ - it was a hunkío **** when I bought it... running on flat springs and rust all over.

Not sure Iíve ever seen the 2x4 a/c support in the wild! Ultra rare and creative!

KCCO
post #14 of 18 Old 03-08-2020, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
jaycal3

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the delay. I just made the trip up to NH to see my son as he is having some other Jeep issues after getting a ďno busĒ error on his dash. I think itís his battery... jumped it and it seems fine so battery replacement tomorrow and we will go from there. But, i did see what is up with the grill. Itís a half metal grill... not sure why?!? Ridiculous... .

KCCO
post #15 of 18 Old 03-08-2020, 05:45 PM
SkylinesSuck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I hope you made fun of him for how terrible that angry eye grill looks 🙂

'98 TJ w/AX15 & 4.7L stroker, 2.5" OME lift, 1.25" BL, 33" Duratracs, 8.8 w/Trutracs & 4.10's F&R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in