Going through water in my Jeep? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 05-02-2010, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
RedHotChiliDog

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Going through water in my Jeep?

I already asked a question about this kinda but my Dad brought something up that I never knew. I know I should extend the breather lines past the door level (because as deep of water I go in is about that level maybe a few inches higher) but do I need to buy extensions for them or are they long enough for me to do that?

Here is what I didn't know. Apparently water can also go into the differentials too, so my question is, A. How easy is it to drain them and how long would it take and B. How often should I do this? I don't really go offroading all that often either.

Also if there is anything else I should know that would be great to tell me now!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Rubikahn

2006 LJ Wrangler 

The breather lines for your diffs are as follows. Front is up by the radiator. Rear is up by the gas fill tube. You should change the lube every time you're in deep enough to submerge the diffs. There have been write ups on how to extend the breather tube on the auto. Here's a write up for the diff lube change off Stu's site http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/diff-1.htm

OME ZJ/LJ lift, 33" MT MTZ on AR-23 wheels, front and rear JKS trackbars, 1" seat risers, MORE 1" BL and MML, factory Ipod adapter. Light khaki jeep club #72
post #3 of 21 Old 05-02-2010, 04:17 PM
BoarderX47
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRUGGE View Post
I already asked a question about this kinda but my Dad brought something up that I never knew. I know I should extend the breather lines past the door level (because as deep of water I go in is about that level maybe a few inches higher) but do I need to buy extensions for them or are they long enough for me to do that?

Here is what I didn't know. Apparently water can also go into the differentials too, so my question is, A. How easy is it to drain them and how long would it take and B. How often should I do this? I don't really go offroading all that often either.

Also if there is anything else I should know that would be great to tell me now!
Where is the water coming to on your door? Bottom of the door sill or the top by the windows? If it is just coming to the bottom of the door sill, you will not need to extend the axle breather tubes. However as said, you should change your diff fluid every time you go through high water for long periods of time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 Old 05-02-2010, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
RedHotChiliDog

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoarderX47 View Post
Where is the water coming to on your door? Bottom of the door sill or the top by the windows? If it is just coming to the bottom of the door sill, you will not need to extend the axle breather tubes. However as said, you should change your diff fluid every time you go through high water for long periods of time.
its at the bottom basically, there just deep water puddles, sometimes I will go through them fast, other times I take my time but they aren't very long at all, maybe 10-15 yards at the longest.
post #5 of 21 Old 05-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Douglas S.

Careful of your trans too, autos don't take well to getting water in them.

1991 Land Cruiser HDJ81

post #6 of 21 Old 05-02-2010, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
RedHotChiliDog

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas S. View Post
Anything I should do to protect the transmission? Or should I just avoid water alltogether....
post #7 of 21 Old 05-02-2010, 04:35 PM
2006_Sport

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas S. View Post
since he has a 2004 the breather tube will be up high enough to the point where he won't have to worry about getting water in it. The relocated the 42rle trans vent tube for that reason. The 32rh OTOH is a different story.
post #8 of 21 Old 05-03-2010, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
RedHotChiliDog

2004 TJ Wrangler 

anyhoo, just a recap, so my breather lines should be fine for what Im going for, but I should change the oil in my differentials after every time I go in deep water for a long time or deep water in general? (I puddle jump, not cross long deep rivers haha). Also is there a way to water proof my differentials? And you guys are saying I should watch out for my auto trans. too. Is there a way to water-proof that or is it high up enough where it shouldn't matter?

Thanks for the help!
post #9 of 21 Old 05-03-2010, 06:40 PM
BoarderX47
2005 TJ Wrangler 

YouTube - Jeepskool April 2010 Lower Rim Trail

Here is what I do about every month. I have never had any problem with my diffs but I make sure to change the fluid every time I go out, I have never had milky fluid. If you don't want to have to crack the diff seal every time you can pump the fluid out although cracking the cover off allows you to check for metal fillings and gear wear, I crack it every time. As for the auto trans I am not sure, I have a manual although I avoid shifting while in water at all costs unless I get stuck.

post #10 of 21 Old 05-03-2010, 07:03 PM
BYuen

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Whenever I hit deep water I check the diff fluid when I get back home. I just remove the fill plug and dip my finger in there. If the fluid is still clean, you have nothing to worry about and don't need a change. You'll know when you get water in the diffs. The gear oil will become a whitish milky/milk shake type color. That would mean it's time for a change. Water's only gotten in my diffs because of a leaky axle shaft seal which will let water in, or when my breather tube fell off and was floating in the water sucking everything in

2001 White TJ Sport
2013 Black JKU Rubicon 10A
post #11 of 21 Old 05-03-2010, 07:05 PM
2006_Sport

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRUGGE View Post
anyhoo, just a recap, so my breather lines should be fine for what Im going for, but I should change the oil in my differentials after every time I go in deep water for a long time or deep water in general? (I puddle jump, not cross long deep rivers haha). Also is there a way to water proof my differentials? And you guys are saying I should watch out for my auto trans. too. Is there a way to water-proof that or is it high up enough where it shouldn't matter?

Thanks for the help!
You should read above where you just posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
since he has a 2004 the breather tube will be up high enough to the point where he won't have to worry about getting water in it. The relocated the 42rle trans vent tube for that reason. The 32rh OTOH is a different story.
like I said here, you'll be fine. I have done a bunch of water crossings with my auto and no problem dude.
post #12 of 21 Old 05-03-2010, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
RedHotChiliDog

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
You should read above where you just posted

like I said here, you'll be fine. I have done a bunch of water crossings with my auto and no problem dude.
alright I think I got it lol I just don't want to **** up my only ride that gets me places. And its a clean jeep on top of that so it would be a shame to **** up something major on it oh do I need to learn about jeeps sometime soon!
post #13 of 21 Old 05-24-2010, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
RedHotChiliDog

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I know we already went over this but now that I'm starting to find new places to wheel, I just have one last question about this (I swear it is!): what would you say is the deepest water I can go through before stuff starts to break or require major work? Also would a air intake bag from K&N be good enough for keeping water out of my air intake as long as it's not submerged?
post #14 of 21 Old 05-24-2010, 09:26 AM
Hesher420

2006 LJ Wrangler 

1. You do not want to submerge you're fan or It'll suck itself into the radiator.
2. The trans. vent line ends right at the top of the trans., drivers side, by the fire wall. (I have a 42rle also) I extended mine to the top of the firewall to be extra safe.

"We are one. One society. Digitless."
"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

post #15 of 21 Old 07-21-2010, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
RedHotChiliDog

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well I finially took that class I was telling everyone about! But I didn't learn too much on offroading or about the vehicle in general but I still learned good stuff (it was only 7 days but two of them was taking apart a diesel down to the block and putting it back together). Anyways one thing I did learn is that apparently this is a problem on the humvees too, but when they hit water fast while the fan clutch is on, thats what causes them to break (same thing that happened to me I guess even though I wasn't going that fast). Anyways if the fan clutch is off, you generally don't have a problem.

So at what temp. does the fan clutch turn on? I figure if I only go through water when it doesn't hit that temp, I should be fine in that respect.

Tags
breather tube , checking fluid , diff fluid , differential fluid , water crossing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in