Genright FLAT crossmember for custom Tummy Tuck - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 85 Old 05-07-2012, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
jeepinhokie

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Genright FLAT crossmember for custom Tummy Tuck

I'm about to start my Tummy Tuck on my 04 TJ Auto. my main goal for this is obviously ground clearance but i am also interested in making/buying a T-case crossmember to hold the T-case independent of the skids.

does anyone have any infomation on the genright FLAT crossmember? specifically can it be made to work with the stock exhaust? will it actually get me flat? how does it mount to the tranny? alternatives?

obviously pictures would be awesome. I really dont see much in the way of information about it. the only info i have been able to get is from the Genright website. I emailed them asking about it but havent heard back from them.

I will be doing a Novak cable shifter, adj upper control arms (savvy), SYE W/ DC shaft, track bar etc.

Thanks,
Steve

HOKIES UNITED!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 Old 05-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's a pretty new product so I doubt anyone around here has used it specifically.....but it's also a generic product and plenty of people have built or used something very similar. Isolation bushings at the frame rails with the cross tube bolted directly to the t-case is a pretty common way to do a crossmember. Being able to use the stock exhaust + going perfectly flat are all in how well you understand what needs to be done.....and that means not just relying on manufacturer's descriptions. Both goals are very possible but you'll need to modify the exhaust hanger at the transmission mount bracket so that the exhaust 1) is not binding and 2) has adequate clearance above and below, among other things. You'll need to add lower control arms to your list since uppers alone won't allow you to position the axle correctly.

OlllllllO

IndyORV
post #3 of 85 Old 05-07-2012, 09:30 AM
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

How about calling them, the one time I did call em they were very helpful and had a clue.

post #4 of 85 Old 05-07-2012, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
jeepinhokie

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
That's a pretty new product so I doubt anyone around here has used it specifically.....but it's also a generic product and plenty of people have built or used something very similar. Isolation bushings at the frame rails with the cross tube bolted directly to the t-case is a pretty common way to do a crossmember. Being able to use the stock exhaust + going perfectly flat are all in how well you understand what needs to be done.....and that means not just relying on manufacturer's descriptions. Both goals are very possible but you'll need to modify the exhaust hanger at the transmission mount bracket so that the exhaust 1) is not binding and 2) has adequate clearance above and below, among other things. You'll need to add lower control arms to your list since uppers alone won't allow you to position the axle correctly.
Thanks for it input. I read your build and am contemplating doing exactly what you did with the flat skid and low-pro from UCF.

i didnt know that the crossmember was a new product. wondering now if I want to be a guinea pig.

the reason i was planning on buying a kit was to save some fab time. a buddy is helping me with the fab and i didnt want to take too much of his time if there was already a solution out there.

and by using the stock exhaust i mean the Cat and muffler, i realize i will have to modify it some, but i was hoping to get away with the stock components. pushing them forward and back isnt going to be the issue, just their size.

do you regret not using a crossmember with your flat skid? do you find it to be a PITA to service the T-case or tranny?

do you think i can postpone getting lower control arms for a few months? they are on the list of things to get (a very long list) and all 8 control arms would be ideal, but the wallet cant handle it.

HOKIES UNITED!

post #5 of 85 Old 05-07-2012, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
jeepinhokie

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
How about calling them, the one time I did call em they were very helpful and had a clue.
if i decide to go this route i will definitaly be calling them. I just cant be calling them while i'm at work. alot of guys in my local group (southern maryland hardrock crawlers) run genright products and have been pleased with them.

HOKIES UNITED!

post #6 of 85 Old 05-07-2012, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
jeepinhokie

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Wondering if the Pre fabed genright crossmember is worth it. Or make a custom crossmember.

Also wondering how much the crossmember will support the frame from a structural point of view. I would assume with the skid removed it would be a bit weak. But with the skid bolted up would be fine. Thoughts?

HOKIES UNITED!

post #7 of 85 Old 05-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Jankoid

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
Also wondering how much the crossmember will support the frame from a structural point of view. I would assume with the skid removed it would be a bit weak. But with the skid bolted up would be fine. Thoughts?
Why would it matter? You planning on wheeling with no transfer case skid?
post #8 of 85 Old 05-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

With a crossmember in place, the frame won't care about the skid in terms of structural support. I'd consider that a non-issue.

OlllllllO

IndyORV
post #9 of 85 Old 05-07-2012, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
jeepinhokie

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped
With a crossmember in place, the frame won't care about the skid in terms of structural support. I'd consider that a non-issue.
That's where my mind was. But wanted to run it past someone else.

Just trying to weigh my options between the crossmember and a regular skid with low pro.

I want to do it once and make it something I'll be happy with.

HOKIES UNITED!

post #10 of 85 Old 05-07-2012, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
jeepinhokie

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Deleted

HOKIES UNITED!

post #11 of 85 Old 05-08-2012, 02:26 PM
chmo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I like the 2 piece skid concept of clayton as well:
"http://claytonoffroad.com/product_info.php/products_id/192"

the crossmember bolts to the frame and reuses the stock TC mount...
The skidplate bolts below that.

not as high up as the genright thing ... for me welding to the frame is a total loss (here!) ! I like it ...

"The more I know, the more I realize how much I don't know"

post #12 of 85 Old 05-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2012 JK Wrangler 

I look at it a bit differently... If you're going to have to weld the Genright kit together, then why not just get some tubing and some bushings and weld the whole thing up yourself for cheaper? I didn't see anything in the Genright crosmember that couldn't be fabbed pretty easily.
post #13 of 85 Old 05-08-2012, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
jeepinhokie

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat
I look at it a bit differently... If you're going to have to weld the Genright kit together, then why not just get some tubing and some bushings and weld the whole thing up yourself for cheaper? I didn't see anything in the Genright crosmember that couldn't be fabbed pretty easily.
I think that's the route I'm going to take. I was trying to save some fab time b/c I'm going to be doing this at a friends house and didn't want monopolize his time. But the more I look at it the more I'm swaying away from the genright kit. Some bushings from ruffstuff or genright and some tubing welded to the stock mount. Similar to how the savvy UA is done. hopefully I can stay out if the cat and mufflers way too.
Attached Thumbnails
image-3799892289.jpg  

HOKIES UNITED!

post #14 of 85 Old 05-08-2012, 05:09 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie

Some bushings from ruffstuff or genright and some tubing welded to the stock mount. Similar to how the savvy UA is done.
That doesn't sound like my UA crossmember and transmission mount.
post #15 of 85 Old 05-08-2012, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
jeepinhokie

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar

That doesn't sound like my UA crossmember and transmission mount.
Just similar in dimensions. The UA bolts to the stock mount correct? I'm talking about welding it. And instead of the frame C- clamp around the frame, I will weld a removable bushing to the inside if the frame rails. Like these. Just like the genright kit. Best of both worlds maybe. If it works.
Attached Thumbnails
image-4037817154.jpg  

HOKIES UNITED!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in