Gas tank overflow when filling up - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-01-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
tangolima
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Gas tank overflow when filling up

Anyone else have this problem? The guy pumping my gas said he sometimes sees this happening with Jeeps. When I'm filling up my gas tank, it tends to overflow/spill out when reaching capacity. Is it because of the high speed pumps? Sometimes I can mitigate it by slowing the speed of the gas coming from the nozzle when I'm approaching capacity, but sometimes it's hard to gauge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-01-2019, 10:17 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

ask yur local friendly jeep dealer about TSB #14-001-09 REV. A.

Sorry cant get details today

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-01-2019, 12:44 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Common problem with the late TJs.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/g.../#post40275981

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

post #4 of 14 Old 06-01-2019, 12:52 PM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
Yep, happened to mine also. One fix, which I did initially, is replacing the filler hose with a GM one that has a flapper valve in it. This lasted me many years, but eventually the hose buckled and restricted the flow coming in. The permanent fix involves dropping the tank, pulling out the rollover valve, and shaving down a few plastic nubs. I did this a couple months ago, and it really wasn't difficult. Hardest part was getting the gasoline smell out of my hair (I skipped the step where you depressurize the fuel line).
post #5 of 14 Old 06-02-2019, 05:20 AM
williambmac

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
ask yur local friendly jeep dealer about TSB #14-001-09 REV. A.

Sorry cant get details today
TSB #14-001-09 basically has you do a few tests with the evap system to rule out a blockage in either the evap hose or the cannister. Once the evap system is ruled out, fuel tank replacement is required.
Basically the roll over valve in the tank fails. a replacement tank is around 1000.00 not including labor.
Aside from mukluk's link above, there is also a fix using a GM hose which you can read about,
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/0...w-fix-1335243/

Mine has been doing it for a number of years, just haven't gotten around to addressing it yet.

2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 4" Clayton long arm
35" Mickey Thompsons, lots of stuff
Black Magic Big brake kit

Last edited by williambmac; 06-04-2019 at 04:53 AM.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-02-2019, 07:25 AM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Watch the video Mukluk linked to.

I did it on one of mine last month. It completely fixed the problem. Took about an hour for the entire process and will save more than that waiting at the gas pump.

Building the right way for 37s.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-02-2019, 11:56 AM
RDBills
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toximus View Post
Watch the video Mukluk linked to.
^^^ This. The GM fuel hose is a band-aid, not a fix. Don't waste your time or money with it.

Mr. Bills
KG6LMV

'06 Jeep "LJ" Rubicon
post #8 of 14 Old 06-02-2019, 12:17 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBills View Post
^^^ This. The GM fuel hose is a band-aid, not a fix. Don't waste your time or money with it.
While I don't disagree about what the ultimate fix is. To say the GM hose is a waste of time or money is a bit extreme. $30 and less than an hour's worth of time is not a big investment and there are people running 5 years plus with them and no sign of problems. Some of it is probably luck. Some of it is in the details of the installation.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-02-2019, 03:35 PM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
While I don't disagree about what the ultimate fix is. To say the GM hose is a waste of time or money is a bit extreme. $30 and less than an hour's worth of time is not a big investment and there are people running 5 years plus with them and no sign of problems. Some of it is probably luck. Some of it is in the details of the installation.
Mine lasted at least that long, until the bend you have to make in the hose finally collapsed in on itself. If you do the GM hose fix, don't throw away the stock hose.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-02-2019, 05:27 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
Mine lasted at least that long, until the bend you have to make in the hose finally collapsed in on itself. If you do the GM hose fix, don't throw away the stock hose.
I mentioned installation tricks. The bend in the GM hose can be braced with a hose clamp.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-02-2019, 07:20 PM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
I mentioned installation tricks. The bend in the GM hose can be braced with a hose clamp.
I did that, but it still eventually gave up and collapsed. However, $30 for about 6 years of use is pretty good, especially since the solution in the video hadn't been discovered yet when I did it.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-03-2019, 05:38 AM
rcroane
2006 TJ Wrangler 

As you will read in the numerous links on this subject, another option is to remove the flapper from the GM hose and insert into the original Jeep hose. I went this route and itís working great for me.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-03-2019, 06:14 AM
Bruce06Unltd
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I did the GM hose swap and it lasted a couple of months...I ended up removing it and putting the original back in and am just careful not to over fill. Maybe I will try dropping the tank and grinding down the check valve as seen on the video. Maybe ;-)
post #14 of 14 Old 06-04-2019, 03:44 AM
jeep63
Web Wheeler

2013 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcroane View Post
As you will read in the numerous links on this subject, another option is to remove the flapper from the GM hose and insert into the original Jeep hose. I went this route and itís working great for me.
^^^^This. We did this on my sonís 06 LJ and it is still working as expected.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

95 YJ-Sold
YJOTM 05/15,05/18

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in