gas tank leak - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-13-2018, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Kristian_Burns
1998 TJ Wrangler 

gas tank leak

Hello, my gas tank keeps leaking gas from the big nut that holds the fuel pump in. I have dropped the tank about 10 times now trying to fix this and every time i have failed. The first few times dropping the tank i would just take the nut off clean everything around the seal and put it back together. Then i discovered online you must change the gasket out each time you take the pump out pretty much. So i ordered a seal from Quadratec, put that in the smell went away for a week! Now it is doing the same thing. When i dropped the tank yesterday there was a gas stain around the nut and when i tilted the gas tank sideways gas would come out from under the nut. So i took the nut off cleaned around and put everything back together and sat the tank sideways against the house for a few hours to see if it would leak again. Surprisingly nothing leaked so i put the tank back in. Now today the smell is back again. I am using the rental tool from autozone to tighten the fuel pump nut down. What else should i do to get this smell gone?

The picture below is not mine, however that is what it looks like

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-13-2018, 06:53 PM
Jeepsr4me

Pull the pump out and check to see if the hose has a crack in it.. No reason for fuel to leak out that seal as there is no pressure in the tank and also see if the regulator is leaking as that would be my 1st guess rather than that seal.. I have taken pumps out many times and never changed the seal.. Clean it and install

Could take a small pail with fuel and set pump in it and turn the key to see what it does...
Ben likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-13-2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Kristian_Burns
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Pull the pump out and check to see if the hose has a crack in it.. No reason for fuel to leak out that seal as there is no pressure in the tank and also see if the regulator is leaking as that would be my 1st guess rather than that seal.. I have taken pumps out many times and never changed the seal.. Clean it and install

Could take a small pail with fuel and set pump in it and turn the key to see what it does...
ok. Is the regulator what is on top in the middle? Im starting to think gas is coming out of there, maybe because i have twisted it around too much or it is just bad?

post #4 of 6 Old 06-13-2018, 09:21 PM
Jeepsr4me

yeah that is the regulator.. Dont remember how that thing seals to the top but its my 1st guess ..
post #5 of 6 Old 06-14-2018, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Kristian_Burns
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I think it might be time for a new pump. It looks like it's the original one
post #6 of 6 Old 06-14-2018, 06:01 AM
Ben

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I can't help you, I think Jeepsr4me is right (as usual!), I just wanted to sympathize with you that dropping the tank a bunch SUCKS and when it still stinks/leaks afterward its just real frustrating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in