Front rubi 44 locker in rear D44 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-11-2008, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
gribbles

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Front rubi 44 locker in rear D44

Ok, will a rubicon 44 front locker work in my rear D44? I know it is a half a*$ed 44. kind of a mix of a d30 and a d44, but will it work? Also I have heard the term 'thick gears' and I know rubicons use these. So will stock D44 shafts work with a rubicon locker and gears? either front or rear. I am not looking at buying new or anything, that would be stupid. Have a chance to get a pretty good deal on a used rubi locker and have heard the front lockers are stronger then the rear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 TJ, 100" wb on leaves
2007 WK CRD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-11-2008, 05:08 PM
slate210
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Won't fit. The Rubi front 44 is far more D30 than 44. Front lockers are not typically stronger than rear lockers, they just see about 50% less torque. I suppose it could be stronger if you had an old waggy 44 up front and a D35 in the back.....but that wouldn't make much sense.

2000 TJ 4.0 5-SP 115k mi. Patriot Blue - Bone stock...for now.
1997 TJ 4.0 5-SP 134k mi. Red Jeep Club Member
- Some mods...

2006 VW Jetta TDI DSG 54k mi. BLACK Rocketchipped, boostvalve, boost gauge.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-11-2008, 05:22 PM
never monday
2004 LJ Wrangler 

It will with some spacers. Call Randy's ring and pinion and get the details

post #4 of 12 Old 11-11-2008, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
gribbles

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ya, I am not giving up on this one easy. It is stronger in the fact that it doesnt act as a limited slip, and something about the helical gears. Not sure on all the details. Thanks monday, I'll give em a call tomorrow. Does anyone have experience with or have done this themselves?

2007 WK CRD
post #5 of 12 Old 11-11-2008, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
gribbles

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 5 View Post
The front Rubi locker is much stronger than the rear. The rear unit in a helical gear LSD design like a Truetrac. When the unit is locked the power to the right axle is transmitted through the locked helical gears. These gears are very small and when locked are much weaker than a standard 4 pinion diff. We see a lot of Rubi owners replace broken rear units with front units.
this was from another thread, I tried to get the OP to elaborate, and also tried to send him a PM but was not able to do so. Does anyone have any more info on this matter

2007 WK CRD
post #6 of 12 Old 11-11-2008, 06:25 PM
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't been able to bust my rear carrier and I just put 37's n another and wnet and beat the crap outta it,

they are prolly hamering on em before it's actually locked in, that will toast em...

I want your factory 07-up take-off/thrown out JK front/rear Lower Control Arms! Bent ones are perfect also as long as the bushings and cold cut rings are in good shape/useable

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
post #7 of 12 Old 11-11-2008, 07:16 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gribbles View Post
Ya, I am not giving up on this one easy. It is stronger in the fact that it doesnt act as a limited slip, and something about the helical gears. Not sure on all the details. Thanks monday, I'll give em a call tomorrow. Does anyone have experience with or have done this themselves?
Yes the front will fit. You will have to shave .100 off of the carrier bearing cap that is notched for the airline. That is done to let the shift collar have enough movement to let the locker unlock and go into open diff mode. Not doing so binds it up and the locker won't unlock.

You will also need thick gears or a spacer for your regular gears depending on the carrier break and what you have.

As far as being stronger, there is some merit to that argument. Given that the limited slip portion of the rear locker is typically what fails and takes out the rest of the locker, not having it is a good thing.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-11-2008, 07:19 PM
JeSimmers

1997 TJ Wrangler 

As far as being stronger, there is some merit to that argument. Given that the limited slip portion of the rear locker is typically what fails and takes out the rest of the locker, not having it is a good thing.[/QUOTE]

Good to know, thanks

Red Jeep Club Member #454
post #9 of 12 Old 11-11-2008, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
gribbles

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Yes the front will fit. You will have to shave .100 off of the carrier bearing cap that is notched for the airline. That is done to let the shift collar have enough movement to let the locker unlock and go into open diff mode. Not doing so binds it up and the locker won't unlock.

You will also need thick gears or a spacer for your regular gears depending on the carrier break and what you have.

As far as being stronger, there is some merit to that argument. Given that the limited slip portion of the rear locker is typically what fails and takes out the rest of the locker, not having it is a good thing.
Awesome, thanks mrblaine.

2007 WK CRD
post #10 of 12 Old 11-12-2008, 12:15 AM
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
MrBlaine:

I have a rear Rubicon locker with the thick gears and was wondering what it would take to put it into the rear Dana 44 on my 01 Sport.

I've heard that the rear locker is a bit wider and the standard (non-Rubicon) Dana 44 housing would have to be somehow shaved to make room for it. Is this true and how would one go about doing it?

David
post #11 of 12 Old 11-12-2008, 12:25 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Dave View Post
MrBlaine:

I have a rear Rubicon locker with the thick gears and was wondering what it would take to put it into the rear Dana 44 on my 01 Sport.

I've heard that the rear locker is a bit wider and the standard (non-Rubicon) Dana 44 housing would have to be somehow shaved to make room for it. Is this true and how would one go about doing it?

David
I'm 99.99 percent certain you can't get the Rubi rear locker into a standard D-44 non Rubi housing. The front barely fits with some modifications to the carrier bearing cap and the rear Rubi locker is wider.

In the event that the .01 percent matters, get in touch with Gearman on POR and send him a PM. He will know for certain.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
In the event that the .01 percent matters, get in touch with Gearman on POR and send him a PM. He will know for certain.
Will do. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in