JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Front End Popping (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/front-end-popping-4307985/)

PoeDunk 05-27-2018 12:28 PM

Front End Popping

Hi all, I recently did a major upgrade to my 2002 TJ. I put on Metalcloak control arms, new MC trackbar, new ball joints, and replaced the steering, (using ZJ tierod)

Problem is now I am getting bind on the steering resulting in a loud pop when turning while sitting still. No pop while moving. Problem is I replaced so much I don't know where the problem is

I have checked the torque on all the control arms and the track bar, removed tierod ends and rotated the knuckles (checking axle u-joints and ball joints) Saw on a different thread that it might be the steering box loose, i checked the torque on all frame bolts. Going to try and attach a short video of what its doing. Would appreciate any suggestions.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zW...766abzxpPPVFr_

Renegade360 05-27-2018 01:46 PM

Can you get it to pop while sitting still? If so get someone to turn the wheel to locate the sound while you are underneath.

mukluk 05-27-2018 02:16 PM

Does it still pop when you perform the steering check with the front wheels off the ground?

To me it appears the most noticeable movement coinciding with the pop is at the driver's side wheel.

biffgnar 05-27-2018 04:55 PM

Pop when steering is a sign of a loose bolt somewhere in the front end. Things bind up and then eventually a weight shift happens which is the pop. I know you said you checked the torque but I'd do it again. In particular the trackbar.

Shark_13 05-27-2018 05:23 PM

Get a helper to turn the wheel while you inspect underneath. Should be pretty easy to pinpoint

PoeDunk 05-27-2018 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mukluk (Post 40210377)
Does it still pop when you perform the steering check with the front wheels off the ground?

To me it appears the most noticeable movement coinciding with the pop is at the driver's side wheel.

No it does not pop with the wheels off the ground. Only when the wheels "stick" while turning, mostly turning towards passenger.

PoeDunk 05-27-2018 10:11 PM

Update

Still popping...

Things we did today,
Have had all the Tie-rod ends loose and tightened back at some time today.
Removed gearbox skid (in case it was pushing gearbox out of line)
Replaced the gearbox
Got rid of the drop pitman arm (Jerry should approve)
Rotated both knuckles while tie rods disconnected. The ball joints seem to be fine.
Checked the 12pt bolts holding the axles in.
Disconnected steering stabilizer.
Checked front trackbar bolts were tight.

Still binding somewhere, does it most often if starting from full turn towards driver, it binds approximately 3/4 of the way to full stop.

Tired now.. Gonna check control arms tomorrow, any further suggestions would be appreciated.

PoeDunk 05-27-2018 10:18 PM

Also,

I had someone ask if i had a locker in the front.. Yes a Spartan locker, could this be what is popping? It has been in there for over a year...
:confused:

jjvw 05-27-2018 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade360 (Post 40210297)
Can you get it to pop while sitting still? If so get someone to turn the wheel to locate the sound while you are underneath.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark_13 (Post 40210833)
Get a helper to turn the wheel while you inspect underneath. Should be pretty easy to pinpoint

Can you get the steering to pop while parked and turning the wheels back and forth? Either with the engine running or not. If you can do this, then I don't understand why you and a helper can't locate the problem.

While your helper makes the steering pop, feel all the joints and connections.

2003 Rubicon

Shark_13 05-27-2018 11:11 PM

Have a helper turn the wheel back and forth, crawl underneath. Find the pop.

jjvw 05-27-2018 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark_13 (Post 40211945)
Have a helper turn the wheel back and forth, crawl underneath. Find the pop.

It should be this easy, right?

2003 Rubicon

PoeDunk 05-29-2018 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjvw (Post 40211969)
It should be this easy, right?

2003 Rubicon

Yea, wonder why I didn't think of crawling under it and looking for what is popping....

I have laid hands on all the joints,, the steering loads up.. you can hear it, then bam the whole thing jumps.

The only thing I have heard is that it could be the locker.. (Spartan locker) Maybe changing the pinion angle would cause it to start popping? Less gear oil?

Edit: Sorry been under jeep again tonight and am frustrated..

mukluk 05-29-2018 11:42 PM

I don't see how that could in any way be caused by the Spartan locker. Maybe if it happened while the Jeep was actually moving, but not while sitting still.

When you're laying hands on all the steering and suspension parts, you need to feel for where the pop is coming from -- the feeling of the pop will be more pronounced near whatever is binding.

Shark_13 05-29-2018 11:59 PM

Maybe try disconnecting the drag link from the pitman arm, Jack up the front, and turn it by hand, might be able to feel what is binding or isolate if it might be the gearbox or not.

DavePippin 05-30-2018 02:41 PM

could it be the steering components hitting the sway bar link bracket on the axle as the joint moves past it going back towards the driver? Look for scraping or scratching in that area (passenger side)

The time now is 03:56 PM.