Front Differential Options - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-28-2012, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
rusty3189
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Front Differential Options

I recently bought a 2000 TJ Wrangler, that needs the transfer-case and front differential replaced. The transfer case on my TJ has a broken case, and the front differential had been replace with a 2wd front straight axle. The rear differentail is also out of the TJ, but I have a 8.8 explorer Rear Differential to install in the TJ. I'm trying to find out what front diff.s and transfer cases are adaptable for this TJ.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-28-2012, 10:52 AM
BigRodney
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What do you mean by “the front differential had been replace with a 2wd front straight axle”? All jeep axles are straight axles and the axle has nothing to do with 4wd or 2wd, that’s in the transfer case. Do you mean someone adapted an old straight axle out of a 50s truck or something? What exactly do you have? Pictures help.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-28-2012, 11:20 AM
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRodney View Post
What do you mean by “the front differential had been replace with a 2wd front straight axle”? All jeep axles are straight axles and the axle has nothing to do with 4wd or 2wd, that’s in the transfer case.
Probably has something like this out of a 2wd cherokee:

OP, nearly any axle and transfercase is "adaptable" to a wrangler. Your budget and skill level will likely dictate which direction you go. If you're looking for a direct bolt in, thats a different story.
Bolt in axle options include 97-06 wranglers for LP D30/D44 fronts, if you want a high pinion D30 axle XJ cherokee's work.

Someone else will have to chime in with transfer case options, I don't have much experience with swapping those out.

Call me Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbates View Post
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.

post #4 of 5 Old 11-28-2012, 12:06 PM
BigRodney
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombi View Post
Probably has something like this out of a 2wd cherokee:

OP, nearly any axle and transfercase is "adaptable" to a wrangler. Your budget and skill level will likely dictate which direction you go. If you're looking for a direct bolt in, thats a different story.
Bolt in axle options include 97-06 wranglers for LP D30/D44 fronts, if you want a high pinion D30 axle XJ cherokee's work.

Someone else will have to chime in with transfer case options, I don't have much experience with swapping those out.
Well there ya go, didn’t know there was such a thing, thanks.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-28-2012, 02:59 PM
Jeepin72

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Those straight axles are big in the Jeep speed thing. Currie makes a straight tube like that. See if it says Currie on it, you may be able to sell it for the cost of the rest of your project.

The NP 231 TC is what came in that Jeep. That would be the easiest to put back in. Other options will be the aftermarket set ups from Advanced Adapters or Stak. NP241's will work as well, but I am not sure on the bolt patterns for your year.

As far as the carrier's, what do you want, open, limited slip, lockers, etc... You can pick the gears. What axles do you have? I assume a Dana 30 up front. Either a Dana 35 or 44 in the back? Will an 8.8 work in either of those. I haven't heard of some putting carriers and gears for an 8.8 in a Dana.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in