Front Axle Help - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-17-2017, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
BlueTJWrangler
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Front Axle Help

Well it seems that my Jeep's (97 TJ) issues and repairs have gotten over my head. After finally getting the fuel system, battery, starter, and other small issues resolved I thought I finally had a running Jeep again. I decided I should do a full fluid change out since I didn't know when the previous owner had last changed anything. When I pulled the rear differential cover off "chocolate milk" poured out and I saw several broken teeth on my ring gear. I didn't feel any metal in the oil and I ran a magnet around inside the differential and didn't see any particles sticking to it. After seeing this I decided that I was in over my head and dropped my Jeep off at East Coast Gear Supply to have them rebuild my rear axle and troubleshoot the odd sounds from my front end. They contacted me confirming that I'd need to replace the ring and pinion as well as needing new bearings and seals on my rear Dana 44. I also had the ARB air locker rebuilt while they had it open. ECGS contacted me again to let me know that my front Dana 30 has a broken u joint, blown driver side seals (saw it leaking from the drive over) and could possibly be bent, I will know more on Monday when they continue to work on it. Now I need some advice weighing some different options. Should I sink around $1500 to rebuild the front axle assuming its not bent (maybe add a truss), should I look at buying a "bolt in" TJ Dana 44 (G2 with ARB? $3700) online and installing that myself, or ECGS quoted me $5400 to install and brand new JK dana 44 with arb locker, chomoly shafts, ect. I'm also open to other ideas/suggestions.

I planned on primarily taking this jeep on trails around VA/NC area and I don't plan on rock crawling or being heavy with the gas pedal. I thought I had gotten a good deal on Craigslist but I think I unknowingly inherited the previous owners issues. I've pretty much driven this jeep a few miles back a forth to work and then did one wheeling trip on my friends farm mainly going through woods and horse pastures.

I like the 35" tires and 4.88s currently on my jeep and eventually I'd like to add a PSC hydro assist kit along with the currie steering parts.

1997 TJ Sahara
4.6 Stroker Kit
Rubicon express 4.5" springs,1" spacers
35x12.50x15 bfg mt ko2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-17-2017, 06:49 AM
Ben

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You'll often find more issues than expected on a used vehicle.
I'd bet your D30 last a while longer with new U joints.
If it's bent, top off the fluid, if not, do the seals.
No reason to buy a whole new axle, but I can't fault ECGS for offering to sell you one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-17-2017, 07:00 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you do consider a replacement axle, doesn't ECGS sell an HP30? With good shafts that would work fine for your use and seems a lot easier than them having to completely redo your front end and steering to put in a JK axle.

post #4 of 8 Old 09-17-2017, 11:18 AM
greeninwyo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Personally I'd just replace the seals and some new u joints for now. A TJ Dana 30 and 44 both run the same ujoints but the jk D44 runs a larger one. My failures on a D30 where the ears on the shafts (chromoly's) would break and not the u joint. I ended up going to RCVs and have had zero issues since and I'm running 4.88, arb locker, 35s with a 5 speed and atlas 5 to 1and I rock crawl with it

98 TJ, 5 speed, Dana 30 and super 35, 4.88 gears, Detroit in rear, ARB front, 33" tires, 4" procomp lift, smitty front fenders, rock sliders and armor, XRC 10K winch, custom bumpers, Atlas II 5.0:1
post #5 of 8 Old 09-18-2017, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
BlueTJWrangler
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
If you do consider a replacement axle, doesn't ECGS sell an HP30? With good shafts that would work fine for your use and seems a lot easier than them having to completely redo your front end and steering to put in a JK axle.
Thanks to everyone for the advice! After talking to ECGS we decided on going with a HP30, ARB air locker, and beefing it up with gussets and sleeves. Hopefully this will be the end of things for a while and I can get back to enjoying my jeep and tinkering with minor things. This has been a learning adventure for sure. ECGS have been very helpful and I have to say I highly recommend them if you are in the triangle area.

1997 TJ Sahara
4.6 Stroker Kit
Rubicon express 4.5" springs,1" spacers
35x12.50x15 bfg mt ko2
post #6 of 8 Old 09-18-2017, 02:57 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTJWrangler View Post
Thanks to everyone for the advice! After talking to ECGS we decided on going with a HP30, ARB air locker, and beefing it up with gussets and sleeves. Hopefully this will be the end of things for a while and I can get back to enjoying my jeep and tinkering with minor things. This has been a learning adventure for sure. ECGS have been very helpful and I have to say I highly recommend them if you are in the triangle area.
They are upselling you on the sleeves and gussets. Not necessary on that axle. If you want to spend the money put mini-skids on the lower control arm mounts and do the upper Johnny Joint conversion. Those are changes that make a difference and are much easier done when the axle is not under the jeep.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-18-2017, 03:27 PM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
ECGS can do TJ Cs too.

Building the right way for 37s.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-18-2017, 03:31 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toximus View Post
ECGS can do TJ Cs too.
If I were going to do a front axle swap and stick to TJ outers it would not be on a JK 44. But as has been posted above the HP30 is a good option for him.

Tags
axle , dana 30 , dana 44 , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in