frameless soft top recommendations - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 09-08-2013, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
laxin15
2006 TJ Wrangler 

frameless soft top recommendations

I'm interested in buying a frameless soft top. I have been looking at rugged ridge or rampage. Does anyone recommend these? Right now I have a best top supertop nx and I'm not to happy with it. I have broken the side bow twice. Best top won't send out replacement parts they say get it from where you ordered it from. But I hate dealing with my local dealership. So I'm done with the hardware.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-09-2013, 03:17 AM
trailboss
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have heard very good things about the Rampage, and if I were in the market for a top right now, that is what I, personally, would go for. You can find them decently priced in Amazon. If you do a search here, for Rampage Top, you will find lots of users of this top and they seem pretty happy with 'em, for the most part.

2002 Wrangler "X".

An educated, armed populace cannot be enslaved.
post #3 of 26 Old 09-09-2013, 04:51 AM
vyse04
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've had my Rampage frameless top since they started making them (almost 3 years or so), and I have not regretted my purchase. My zippers have started tearing in the back, but I only run it as a safari top now that I am in a tropical climate year round. Even then, I am happy with it though.

Prior to the frameless I had a sun rider top. I didn't have any problems with it, but I normally used the sunroof portion with the windows off (rest of top up) unless I was going out to the beach or something. Safari top made sense to me.

post #4 of 26 Old 09-09-2013, 04:52 AM
hockey369

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I have the Rampage top and I really like it. Works great and I have not had any issues with it so far.

01 TJ Sahara, RE BB w/ Skyjacker Hydro Shocks, 1.25" BL, 1" MML, 33x12.5x15 Pro Comp Mud Terrains on Soft 8s, Rampage Frameless Top, A to Z Rocker Guards, JKS Quicker Disconnects, KC Windshield Long Range Lights, UCF Engine Skid, UCF UHC Transmission Skid
My other toys:
04 Harley V-Rod
99 Yamaha GP1200 (For Sale)
post #5 of 26 Old 09-09-2013, 04:55 AM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have a Softopper and love it. Had it at least a year now, no issues, no leaks (even though I never applied the included seam sealer).
post #6 of 26 Old 09-09-2013, 05:15 AM
rda616

1998 TJ Wrangler 

If I am going with the softopper also. It's made in the USA and you don't have to disconnect the rear straps to put the windows in.
post #7 of 26 Old 09-09-2013, 07:27 AM
tyvanwie

1993 XJ Cherokee 

I really like my rampage
post #8 of 26 Old 09-09-2013, 08:20 AM
angelo2975

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Depending on where you live the Rampage top might not hold up. I had it ....Living in South Florida The Rampage only lasted 2 years before the back straps dry rotted and snapped removing them.The Upper zipper stiching also came apart. I took it to Convertible top shop in my area and before I could say anything the guy told me "Rampage top right?" He told me the material and thread used for stiching and straps isn't meant for our climate. He offered to replace the stiching and the straps for a better suited material (marine application). Since the Florida Monsson season was upon us I could go a day without it so I opted to buy The Bestop Trektop. I've had it for about 6 months now...I've removed it several times without running into any isssues. One peice of advise is DO NOT TRY TO INSATLL IT UNDER 85 DEGREE TEMP. I added some pictures to show where my top failied
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 FSM PDF version
post #9 of 26 Old 09-09-2013, 08:49 AM
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo2975
Depending on where you live the Rampage top might not hold up. I had it ....Living in South Florida The Rampage only lasted 2 years before the back straps dry rotted and snapped removing them.The Upper zipper stiching also came apart. I took it to Convertible top shop in my area and before I could say anything the guy told me "Rampage top right?" He told me the material and thread used for stiching and straps isn't meant for our climate. He offered to replace the stiching and the straps for a better suited material (marine application). Since the Florida Monsson season was upon us I could go a day without it so I opted to buy The Bestop Trektop. I've had it for about 6 months now...I've removed it several times without running into any isssues. One peice of advise is DO NOT TRY TO INSATLL IT UNDER 85 DEGREE TEMP. I added some pictures to show where my top failied
What is exactly is it about your climate? If it's sun/UV rays I assure you it's much worse in Colorado than it is in Florida. I've had had my Rampage top for 3 years with zero issues.
post #10 of 26 Old 09-09-2013, 09:12 AM
angelo2975

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
What is exactly is it about your climate? If it's sun/UV rays I assure you it's much worse in Colorado than it is in Florida. I've had had my Rampage top for 3 years with zero issues.
From what the guy at the Convertible top shop said everything about the SOFL climate Heat,humuidity,UV . Remeber unlike the northern half of the country we get summer weather almost 9 months out of the year we finaly get a break in late November till February but not by much. The UV index for Florida is also on average slightly higher than Colorado.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 FSM PDF version
post #11 of 26 Old 09-09-2013, 09:22 AM
dadkinsemt

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Another for softopper. Send directly to you and will deal with your problems directly. They sell 2 types, one with door surrounds they make and the other that uses factory door surrounds. I like the ones with factory door surrounds better myself, but if you don't have any, that is an ok alternative. The surrounds that softopper make kinda make it look like your doors don't close because the top cuts in right behind the door. Looks much better with factory door surrounds. Good luck.

Dusty

05 LJ rubicon

post #12 of 26 Old 09-09-2013, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
laxin15
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the info! Ill prob be getting the softtopper that uses factory door surrounds.
post #13 of 26 Old 09-12-2013, 08:16 AM
Sac2013

I'm going with Softopper with factory door surrounds also.

2005 Wrangler X (Sold)
post #14 of 26 Old 09-12-2013, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
laxin15
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I just wish softtoppers side windows were a bit bigger
post #15 of 26 Old 09-12-2013, 03:50 PM
owen3544

I've loved my rampage, had it for about 18 months. A few of the zippers busted. I emailed the pics to rampage, and they sent me brand new windows with no questions asked.

2000 2.5L 5 speed, 8.8/HPD30 with chromos and spartan locker, 4.88s, UCF UHC t case skid, full Currie adjustable arms with jj, Currie antirock, Currie steering, 4" RC Springs, 1.5"BL, RE front/rear trac bars, SYE/CV, 35" MTZ's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in