Frame swapping, what else should I do? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 30 Old 01-18-2016, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
SilverJeepTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

clutch will be changed for sure. And yes I will be putting a "new to me" frame on. I definitely will be coating it inside and out. I read some where that you can drill drain holes in it also to help prevent this problem in the future?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 Old 01-18-2016, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
SilverJeepTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Also whats the advantage to outboard shocks, coilovers?

Thanks again everyone for the advise. Im finding more and more I want to do. Good thing tax season is coming up.
post #18 of 30 Old 01-18-2016, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
SilverJeepTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

up.

post #19 of 30 Old 01-18-2016, 07:37 PM
365Jeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverJeepTJ View Post
Also whats the advantage to outboard shocks, coilovers?
Simply put, outboard shocks are placed wider on the axle and frame which will theoretically help with stability. The primary benefit however, is better axle articulation due to better placement of longer shocks. A typical 4" lifted TJ can flex up to 12" from full droop to full stuff on a side. The stock location Fox shocks from Savvy have a 9" stroke which will possibly limit travel. The shocks Savvy sells for outboard applications have a 12" stroke.

I fantasize about coilovers myself, but on a short arm suspension, there would be little to no benefit. Things like shock placement, link geometry, link length, and shock tuning are all necessary considerations when planning for coilovers. IMHO, coilovers take you into another class of suspension where poor planning and execution can yield results much worse than a kit like MetalCloak or Currie/Savvy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 30 Old 01-18-2016, 07:49 PM
rondak46

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Also, out boarding lets you tuck the bottom of the shock somewhat out of the way of trail damage.
post #21 of 30 Old 01-18-2016, 08:49 PM
365Jeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondak46 View Post
Also, out boarding lets you tuck the bottom of the shock somewhat out of the way of trail damage.
Absolutely! Forgot that, and it's important. Lots of good reasons to outboard if the body is off, and you're planning suspension mods in the near future. That was my case. I have a plan that I've been following, and I had been toying with the idea of outboarding. When I knew I was going to swap the frame, I went for it. Right now, I'm running stock shocks in the stock location, but when I lift, I'll be ready.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 30 Old 01-19-2016, 09:34 AM
365Jeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

SilverJeep: Check you email. I sent you a copy of my plans. I hope you find them helpful or at least entertaining.

post #23 of 30 Old 01-23-2016, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
SilverJeepTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

forumrunner_20160123_081509.jpg
post #24 of 30 Old 01-23-2016, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
SilverJeepTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

forumrunner_20160123_081901.jpg
post #25 of 30 Old 01-23-2016, 09:58 AM
rondak46

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have these, plus a 1 full length take-off for upcoming repairs
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
post #26 of 30 Old 01-24-2016, 11:56 AM
dwsutton

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
clutch will be changed for sure. And yes I will be putting a "new to me" frame on. I definitely will be coating it inside and out. I read some where that you can drill drain holes in it also to help prevent this problem in the future?
That is described in the video I posted earlier in this thread ...

David - The Redneck Garage

Redneck Garage Youtube Channel

post #27 of 30 Old 01-25-2016, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
SilverJeepTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I watched your redneck garage videos. They were awesome and helpful. Thanks so much for making them. It cleared things up for me.
post #28 of 30 Old 01-25-2016, 11:28 AM
kevinmoleyjr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I did a frame swap on my jeep a few years back.
I spent a lot on Chassi Saver paint. I don't think that was worth it. There are cheaper options that have good results.
I did do the eastwood innerchassi spray and I'm happy with it.

I'd really just recommend plotting enough time to change anything you're gunna change soon.
I did the swap and then did a long arm kit... and then did axle swaps... I didn't have the money to buy all at once, but if you do thats a big time saver.
Changing axles to regear? Throwing in a new lift or skid plate? Need new fuel lines? Anything rusty.
I was pretty new to the DIY realm when I did the swap. So a computer and internet access really helps if you run into something you're unfamiliar with you can catch those videos!

Good luck! It really gives you a new appreciation for your jeep when you're done haha
post #29 of 30 Old 01-26-2016, 01:32 PM
dwsutton

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
I watched your redneck garage videos. They were awesome and helpful. Thanks so much for making them. It cleared things up for me.
Thanks bro !! glad they were helpful. If folks knew a 1/2 inch hole and washing out a frame would save it there would be so many less frame swaps

D

David - The Redneck Garage

Redneck Garage Youtube Channel

post #30 of 30 Old 01-27-2016, 10:32 AM
billj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would do what rondak did and suspend the engine in place so as not have to remove it or disconnect the electrical. That is something to consider. I just had mine repaired, picking it up today so I will post an update to my original thread later on. If I had the space and time I would have done the frame swap and done that with the engine. Certainly swap out the shocks and brake lines, those will have to get removed anyway and they are cheap enough...good luck

Tags
build , frame , maintenance , rust , skid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in